Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The shim, given the new lateral bolt in design of the upper arms could be a great solution. So far the only ones I've seen use the stock bolts which, despite the makers of these shims claiming otherwise, is a concern to me that since they aren't grabbing with the same thread count as before that they are not structurally equivalent. I'd consider the shim option if equivalent but longer bolts were supplied.

I ended up installing the Macsboost shims at the same time of putting on a new set of OEM T2s. I suspect this will be good enough.
Did you get an alignment done when you put on the new tires? I just got the shims, don't have the space to do it myself (live in an apt)and was going to find a good shop in NJ that could do it + alignment. Trying to knock this out while miles are low (around 3K).

Within spec!

5k miles. TESLA YOU SUCK

Attachments

• IMG_6512.jpeg
    IMG_6512.jpeg
    502.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Alright newb question. I'm looking at buying a set of the OEM 19 wheels but they do not come with the OEM TPMS. I will have the 21s on the Plaid I'm getting here early next month so is it just a simple swap and plug and play and I just take out the TPMS from my 21 arachnids and stick them into the 19s and the car should auto detect and sync up everything?

Alright newb question. I'm looking at buying a set of the OEM 19 wheels but they do not come with the OEM TPMS. I will have the 21s on the Plaid I'm getting here early next month so is it just a simple swap and plug and play and I just take out the TPMS from my 21 arachnids and stick them into the 19s and the car should auto detect and sync up everything?

Yes it's all automatic. But I would recommend leaving the TPMS in the plaid and buying a set of TPMS from ebay or something, because it'll cost $100 to dismount the 21" and you can get a set of those TPMS from ebay for $130 here - T (4) TESLA TPMS Bluetooth Tire Pressure Sensor 2021+ Tesla Model S 3 X Y BLACK | eBay. (not my listing, but I have bought a set from this seller before)

It just makes sense to pay an extra $30 and save a lot of headache.

Reactions: ginmqi
Yes it's all automatic. But I would recommend leaving the TPMS in the plaid and buying a set of TPMS from ebay or something, because it'll cost $100 to dismount the 21" and you can get a set of those TPMS from ebay for $130 here - T (4) TESLA TPMS Bluetooth Tire Pressure Sensor 2021+ Tesla Model S 3 X Y BLACK | eBay. (not my listing, but I have bought a set from this seller before)

It just makes sense to pay an extra $30 and save a lot of headache.

Thanks so much ok that's lot more convenient and LOT cheaper than Tesla OEM which is like $400/set of 4

Reactions: Sam1
Another question...from my reading of some posts so far...it seems also that this is more of an issue when the ride height is set to low? (which makes sense as it exacerbates the neg camber.) Don't have my Model S Plaid yet (ETA is 10/6 but I wanted to be prepared) but when I drive it back home (will be about 7hr trip) is there a way to ensure that at highway speeds it is always set to medium ride height or does the vehicle automatically go into low ride height when driving at highway speeds?

Another question...from my reading of some posts so far...it seems also that this is more of an issue when the ride height is set to low? (which makes sense as it exacerbates the neg camber.) Don't have my Model S Plaid yet (ETA is 10/6 but I wanted to be prepared) but when I drive it back home (will be about 7hr trip) is there a way to ensure that at highway speeds it is always set to medium ride height or does the vehicle automatically go into low ride height when driving at highway speeds?
Will go into low at highway speeds. You can manually keep raising it back to medium.

Reactions: AAKEE and ginmqi
Have any of you had blowouts with the 21” tires yet, that were not caused by the edge wear?

Asking because in considering some tires that have a 101 front / 102 rear load rating on my 20” aftermarket wheels and I see the 21” oem tires come with a similar load rating

Every time I’m “this close” to getting rid of my flawless 52k mile Performance 3 and ordering a Plaid I come to the Model S section and see all the issues and am like
View attachment 977299

Then I drive my 3 back to back with my Plaid and I know why I spent the money on the Plaid. I've spoken to a lot of Plaid owners in my area and really the main gripe has been rear tire wear. Virtually none of them have been aware of the easy fix for it as almost none of them have been on this forum or FB.

I'd sell my 3 in a heartbeat and keep the Plaid. The 3 is a good car but the Plaid is an amazing one that I never tire of driving except maybe in super dense city traffic. That is only because of it slightly larger size but it is a lot more fun at stoplights. :cool:

Every time I’m “this close” to getting rid of my flawless 52k mile Performance 3 and ordering a Plaid I come to the Model S section and see all the issues and am like
View attachment 977299
Yeah, I regret selling my performance 3 for my plaid. Too many issues, too many trips to the service center. 11 visits so far and still broken.

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms