Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazing as it appears, the left tire, which appears to be in much worse condition, is holding air, while the right tire is leaking around the outer edges where the separation starting.
IMG_0338.jpeg
IMG_0337.jpeg
IMG_0336.jpeg
IMG_0335.jpeg
IMG_0334.jpeg

Short update:

I went to my local Michelin dealer and gave them my case number from my online incident. My local dealer recorded the DOT codes and the tread depths in the middle, inside, and outside edges and sent them to Michelin. He said that the new tires would be in in two days (Thursday), and that Michelin is working the case now. Additionally, I have an appointment with Tesla on Friday, which I will cancel if Michelin comes through on Thursday.

I will post updates as things move forward (or not). I am still hoping to get more case numbers, especially from people who had their rear tires replaced under warranty for no charge, either by Michelin or by Tesla.

Here is the email I received from Michelin:

Hello Joe,

Case #03998297:

Thanks for contacting the Michelin Consumer Care Team.

We are very sorry to hear you are experiencing a tread separation issue.

?Our
Standard Manufacturer's Limited Warranty covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, OR for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first.

We recommend taking your vehicle to an authorized Michelin dealer for an inspection of your tires. Please have the dealer contact us at the number below and refer to your case number when providing their inspection results for our review. You can use our
Dealer Locator to find participating dealers in your area.

We also recommend that you call the dealer first and tell them that it is for a warranty inspection. Please call the number below if you need any assistance locating a dealer to assist you.

Please Note: The dealer must call us with their inspection results for our review. We do not accept inspection results in any other form or format and we cannot process your claim without this review.

We hope this issue has been addressed to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email, click here to chat, or call us at 866-866-6605 8am-7pm EST Mon-Fri, and 9am-1pm EST Sat.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

Sincerely,

Ian
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert​

blue line2

Tire Warranty Tire Registration
It's important that you get all the safety- Make sure your tires are properly
related materials that come with the purchase registered to receive direct notifications
of new MICHELIN tires. If you did not receive in the event of a safety-related recall.
a warranty book, you can download one at Visit TireRegistration.com to register.
MichelinMan.com/warranty .

blue line2

Promise Plan link2
blue line2

Michelin FB logo Michelin YouTube logo Michelin twitter logo Michelin IG logo

I have 2 cases, but both resulted in giving credit (fraction of cost), not replacing tires at their cost.
In my case (2022 MS Plaid, ~11k miles) Michelin replaced the tires with my only cost being the mounting and balance at Discount Tire, perhaps $20-ish per tire IIRC?

Tread was worn about 60%-ish but had 1-2 psi loss per week and tread separating at the inner sidewall on both rear tires.

Reactions: dev_lvl80
If you are willing to share, can you PM me your case number with Michelin? If I have an example of a case in which Michelin covered the cost of replacement, it may make it easier for me to get Michelin to cover the cost. If Michelin doesn’t cover the cost, I will be well-armed to tell Tesla to cover the cost on Friday when I see them for my tire replacement.

In my case (2022 MS Plaid, ~11k miles) Michelin replaced the tires with my only cost being the mounting and balance at Discount Tire, perhaps $20-ish per tire IIRC?

Tread was worn about 60%-ish but had 1-2 psi loss per week and tread separating at the inner sidewall on both rear tires.

Ok, long story short.
This is my second pair of rear tires to worn out on inner side.
What's interesting, my front tires 2/32 @ 23k miles and evenly worn. Rear last 11k miles, regardless you drive low or mid setting. First pair I drove in low, second only in mid (Tesla sucks even here, on freeway I switched to mid all the time, why it does not store settings ?!)

So, I went to tesla (from lower letter! ) SC @ Agoura hills, and had long conversation with manager. The apparently not smart enough to handle conversation with upset customer. They officially denied accept this as a car defect, even right tire worn quicker than left. Stupid but he accepted - it's by design.

I went to Michelin, L1, next day L1, then call back from L2.
We've agreed on 60% credit. I did not feel that Michelin could agree to cover replacement for free. Also I was not comfortable to blame Michelin for this issue. Tesla's rear suspension design is bad (not adjustable), but SC of tesla even worse. I was loyal to their "small" mistakes, but now, no acceptance from my side, not credibility to them.

As a customer, I have to fix issue by myself. That's sad.

PS bough MACBOOST shims, and thinking about change 21" - >20" square setup.

It's factory lazy is what it is.

For those who really appreciate the best street tires on the market today for your 2021+ MS (OEM T2s), you install adjustable camber arms (or ghetto shims) else likely suffer through unusually rapid tire wear. It's totally normal to enjoy more than 20K+ miles on RWD PS4Ss whether OEM spec or off the shelf.

The root cause is Tesla's inane in-spec, non-adjustable rear camber range which is up to -2.75 degrees at MEDIUM height. When you default to low, negative camber gets even worse for wear!

If you're truly interested in addressing the prob long term, get your alignment checked at an independent shop so you're not flying blind. If you have the energy/time to always fight thru all the warranty coverage bs with the manufacturer(s) because you haven’t addressed the root cause, have a blast.

It's a sht sandwich, but it is what it is. YMMV, literally.

P.S. My r camber set to -1.1 on low via N2itive (stock was -1.8/-1.6)

Last edited:

For those who really appreciate the best street tires on the market today for your 2021+ MS (OEM T2s), you install adjustable camber arms (or ghetto shims) else likely suffer through unusually rapid tire wear. It's totally normal to enjoy more than 20K+ miles on RWD PS4Ss whether OEM spec or off the shelf.

The root cause is Tesla's inane in-spec, non-adjustable rear camber range which is up to -2.75 degrees at MEDIUM height. When you default to low, negative camber gets even worse for wear!

If you're truly interested in addressing the prob long term, get your alignment checked at an independent shop so you're not flying blind. If you have the energy/time to always fight thru all the warranty coverage bs with the manufacturer(s) because you haven’t addressed the root cause, have a blast.

I'm wondering if this is also less of an issue on 20" rims. I'm deciding what rims to get on my new car. I can get 21s for $1k locally without tires. Adds up to $4000 with tires and tpms sensors.

Track pack 20" wheels and tires are $6000.... They look good, though not the most streetable tires....

When you posted your #'s at stock, I was curious what mine are. I pulled up my alignment (not by tesla) from about 15k miles ago. My car is stock suspension always in low with 20" square setup. Ps4's with 28k on them and they wear perfectly even. (I just measured them yesterday)
They have 5/32 left.

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 5.35.43 PM.jpg

I'm wondering if this is also less of an issue on 20" rims. I'm deciding what rims to get on my new car. I can get 21s for $1k locally without tires. Adds up to $4000 with tires and tpms sensors.

Track pack 20" wheels and tires are $6000.... They look good, though not the most streetable tires....
we posted simultaneously. 20" rims have no issues so far. At 28k and even wear on all 4
20x10 square 275/35 PS4's

When you posted your #'s at stock, I was curious what mine are. I pulled up my alignment (not by tesla) from about 15k miles ago. My car is stock suspension always in low with 20" square setup. Ps4's with 28k on them and they wear perfectly even. (I just measured them yesterday)
They have 5/32 left.

View attachment 999526
I think this is why you're seeing some PS4S failures at 7K miles v. those at a more normal ~20K miles. This is, again, more reason why it's good to get your alignment checked by a competent professional to know where you stand especially for those who want to run the OEM 21s.

I don't like square setups because anything narrower than 295s in the rear look like bike tires (see: pre-2021 Model Ss).

Reactions: Muzzman1
I think this is why you're seeing some PS4S failures at 7K miles v. those at a more normal ~20K miles. This is, again, more reason why it's good to get your alignment checked by a competent professional to know where you stand especially for those who want to run the OEM 21s.

I don't like square setups because anything narrower than 295s in the rear look like bike tires (see: pre-2021 Model Ss).
Yeah, I would do 305 in the rear and 285 up front, so it might have some of the same issues of the 21" rears at 295 wide.

It certainly masks it better because usually people run a much less performant, narrower with naturally a bigger sidewall tire than OEM T2s.

The Arachnids are low quality, 36lbs, made in China cast wheels. Hard pass.

I did the 275, cause less is more when it comes to performance. Im looking for a car that hooks in the 1/4mi, and mine does just that . Runs consistent 9.2's 5.90's 1/8 and 1.40's 60ft. While maintaining some efficiency on daily driving. Plus the ability to rotate if needed (but it's not I come to find out)

Reactions: Sam1