Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The aftermarket part can be as simple as a shim/washer behind the factory camber arm. To fix the flex under acceleration UP has lower control arms with bushings and bushings a la carte I think. Mountain Pass has adjustable lower control arms if you want infinite adjustment.

If you’re happy at stock ride height I think you can just adjust your rear toe in 0.2 and be ok.

I want minimal aftermarket mods to address the rear tire wear prob. I went N2itive (ghetto shims not for me) after I got my TP brakes with only 2-3K miles on the odo as a preventative measure. Obviously had a professional align mine on low to my exacting standards.

If I get 20K+ miles out of the T2s, I'm happy as a clam. Time will tell.

I want minimal aftermarket mods to address the rear tire wear prob. I went N2itive (ghetto shims not for me) after I got my TP brakes with only 2-3K miles on the odo as a preventative measure. Obviously had a professional align mine on low to my exacting standards.

If I get 20K+ miles out of the T2s, I'm happy as a clam. Time will tell.
A shim is simple, structurally sound, and less prone to failure than any threaded mechanism. Your factory bushings are rubber and flex. Adjustable camber arms are pretty and nothing wrong with them either.

Reactions: calleserra
Curious: Behind the scenes, is Michelin upset at Tesla for designing/manufacturing a vehicle that is not properly aligned? If people are constantly making warranty claims on Michelin's tires, then that results in a loss of profit and damage to Michelin's reputation. Consequently, it seems like Michelin would be leery about supplying Tesla with future parts. I guess I'm curious how these manufacturer agreements work and what goes on between them. I'm curious if Michelin's potential displeasure with how Tesla designed their product would exert any influence on Tesla opting to finally solve the problem (probably naive of me to think this, haha).

Camber is a component of the shredding and flattening it does help. As Sam mentioned, In addition the toe is set correctly as well at that time. I’m sure you will have cases with the camber arms installed but bad toe settings still having problems, give it time. Once again camber is a key component of handling characteristics so unless you bought a plaid for it’s hyper miling ability, you want some.
And one of the tricks to reduce inner end wear with negative camber is toe in. My MSP was toe out in all four corners and it was obvious that my rear tyres would have worn down just like we have seen in this thread.

Curious: Behind the scenes, is Michelin upset at Tesla for designing/manufacturing a vehicle that is not properly aligned? If people are constantly making warranty claims on Michelin's tires, then that results in a loss of profit and damage to Michelin's reputation. Consequently, it seems like Michelin would be leery about supplying Tesla with future parts. I guess I'm curious how these manufacturer agreements work and what goes on between them. I'm curious if Michelin's potential displeasure with how Tesla designed their product would exert any influence on Tesla opting to finally solve the problem (probably naive of me to think this, haha).

Being a Tesla supplier must be a bag full of rainbows and yams.

I absolutely love that Tesla shodded the MSP with PS4Ss and a very sticky variant at that. I will only ever run the T2s, thus the chuck of change I spent to modify a suspension that I was never intending to modify. I simply am not interested in modifying height on air suspension vehicles.

I'm absolutely appalled that Tesla delivered a production vehicle that clearly sets it up for Michelin tire failure with the onus on the customer to sort out. Some are naive to the issue because they got a good one outta Fremont. Some choose to fight it in court especially those who got a bad one outta Fremont. Others choose to tackle the prob with aftermarket parts or mask it by opting for inferior tires/wheels.

For me, I have to run T2s and Track Pack brakes to be happy so I took appropriate measures.

Being a Tesla supplier must be a bag full of rainbows and yams.

I absolutely love that Tesla shodded the MSP with PS4Ss and a very sticky variant at that. I will only ever run the T2s, thus the chuck of change I spent to modify a suspension that I was never intending to modify. I simply am not interested in modifying height on air suspension vehicles.

For me, I have to run T2s and Track Pack brakes to be happy so I took appropriate measures.

wait until you try the Porsche Pirelli PZ4 NF0 on there. It's like driving on glue for both your traction and the loss in range lol. The only time I use the Tesla PS4S now is if a set pops up really cheap.

All,

I purchased the Unplugged Performance adjustable rear camber arms for my 2023 Model S Plaid, but there are no installation instructions on their website, on YouTube, and instructions did not come with the arms. The installation is straightforward, however, there is one thing that is confusing me. Unplugged Performance included two (very nice) lock nuts (I assume, one for each side), however, the lock nuts do not fit any of the three bolts that hold the arms on, nor do they fit anything on the arm itself. I called Unplugged Performance and left a message, I sent them an email, and I filled out a web form asking them to contact me a few days ago, but I have not heard anything back.

Does anyone who has installed the Unplugged Performance adjustable rear camber arms know what the two loose lock nuts are for?

Thanks so much!

Joe

All,

I purchased the Unplugged Performance adjustable rear camber arms for my 2023 Model S Plaid, but there are no installation instructions on their website, on YouTube, and instructions did not come with the arms. The installation is straightforward, however, there is one thing that is confusing me. Unplugged Performance included two (very nice) lock nuts (I assume, one for each side), however, the lock nuts do not fit any of the three bolts that hold the arms on, nor do they fit anything on the arm itself. I called Unplugged Performance and left a message, I sent them an email, and I filled out a web form asking them to contact me a few days ago, but I have not heard anything back.

Does anyone who has installed the Unplugged Performance adjustable rear camber arms know what the two loose lock nuts are for?

Thanks so much!

Joe

Apologies if it’s not in here, I didn’t watch the whole thing.

• Love
Reactions: PR0FESSOR
Ghetto shims. Lmaooo. They’re adequate if you’re tracking maybe 2-3 times a year. Yes, not as adjustable as aftermarket arms, but for me, $60 for a well milled out shim vs shelling out $2k for a set of arms. I guess I’m considered ghetto. 😂
What’s the appropriate toe settings for a daily ?

Over generalization - they do not “kill” anything if you align end car properly at a shop. They fix an issue that can’t be remedied with OEM parts.
So you can either buy aftermarket kits that reduce camber and therefore make the handling worse and then get an alignment to fix the toe… Or you can just get an alignment to fix the toe, keep the more aggressive camber, and save $2k?

Or you can just not run 21s since none of the 19” cars have this issue despite the allegedly incorrect toe.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot