Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid handling improvements: better wheels, tires, brakes, suspension options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed the N2ative links. They are adjustable in the car installed which is a really neat feature.

There were no instructions and I neglected to watch the video on their web site. For reference, -5mm of link length is about -1/2" of ride height per their video. I'll be checking that tomorrow.

Tesla did address the camber issue with this new suspension. Prior to the links I had-
.7 - .9
1.2 - 1.1
of negative (all four corners shown) using a simple digital inclinometer on an slightly (+/- .15 degree) floor.
I'm going to lower the car about an inch all the way around and will redo the camber measurements so we can see what camber gain is.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Those pads are similar, but not identical to the newer Porsche pads and as the caliper is also similar I wonder if Brembo have produced a new 4 pot caliper just for the Plaid which then might find it's way on other models later?
So far, I haven't been able to find a pad shape matching that one, so you may be in the same position we were with the M3P and get some made specially or wait until better aftermarket ones appear.

Is it me, or does the surface area of the larger diameter rotors seem narrower?
Why do we think Tesla isn’t using more contact surface closer to the center?
It's just the way the discs are made. The inner swept area goes closer to the bell if you look at the other photos in the dropbox folder. The chamfer on the pads is a bit of an odd one though and it still makes me think these components may have been adapted from existing designs.

More details on the record run... ;)

"Their return on the popular California proving grounds was successful as they managed to break the EV lap record with a 1:28.2 time: The time is within a second of the fastest production car lap record also held by Pobst but in a McLaren Senna. It’s possible that the Model S Plaid could beat that, but this version is significantly modified by UP with their race-specific suspension and several body modifications, like the large spoiler and front lip.

Over the last year, Tesla itself used Laguana Seca as a proving ground for early Model S Plaid prototypes At the time, they broke some records with a 1:30 Now Tesla has been spotted with a new Model S Plaid in Germany near the famous Nürburgring racetrack. In 2019, Tesla started testing Model S Plaid prototypes at the track and achieved some impressive lap times. The automaker had vowed to come back with production units and break some more records."

• Informative
Reactions: omarsultan
It seems the vendor is not happy with me posting their drawing thus the removal.....

> Bill,
> Plaid handling improvements: better wheels, tires, brakes, suspension options
> Can you kindly remove those pdf dwg files in your post. Those are our
> company's confidential material which we normally don't give out as the
> competition can use these dimensions to manufacture the rotors.
> You never indicated to me you were actively discussing here nor you asked
> for my permission to post our rotor drawing.

Mods
It seems I am past the edit window to remove the attached PDF above. Would you please remove it for me.
Thanks,
Bill

For anyone interested in the Plaid rotors, you can find the same information in the DropBox pics I linked earlier in the thread. I will continue to share any and all information with the forum that is not received under NDA.

It seems the vendor is not happy with me posting their drawing thus the removal.....

> Bill,
> Plaid handling improvements: better wheels, tires, brakes, suspension options
> Can you kindly remove those pdf dwg files in your post. Those are our
> company's confidential material which we normally don't give out as the
> competition can use these dimensions to manufacture the rotors.
> You never indicated to me you were actively discussing here nor you asked
> for my permission to post our rotor drawing.

Mods
It seems I am past the edit window to remove the attached PDF above. Would you please remove it for me.
Thanks,
Bill

For anyone interested in the Plaid rotors, you can find the same information in the DropBox pics I linked earlier in the thread. I will continue to share any and all information with the forum that is not received under NDA.
Isn’t it just the 2466 RacingRake sku they publish here as a replacement for stock Plaid rotors?

Isn’t it just the 2466 RacingRake sku they publish here as a replacement for stock Plaid rotors?

I wouldn’t consider this or any kit that doesn't add substantial rotor diameter. I’ve been down this road with my Raptor and R1 Concepts. Yes, the Raptor is 1200 pounds heavier than the Plaid...the R1 kit still heats up big time even with huge oversized rotors and 6 pot calipers front and rear. But for Baja it’s pretty much ok…the speeds are less than what the Plaid will generate on the track by a large margin.

Point is, I wouldn’t waste my own money on same as stock diameter rotors, even if they do manage heat better.

• Informative
Reactions: omarsultan
I wouldn’t consider this or any kit that doesn't add substantial rotor diameter. I’ve been down this road with my Raptor and R1 Concepts. Yes, the Raptor is 1200 pounds heavier than the Plaid...the R1 kit still heats up big time even with huge oversized rotors and 6 pot calipers front and rear. But for Baja it’s pretty much ok…the speeds are less than what the Plaid will generate on the track by a large margin.

Point is, I wouldn’t waste my own money on same as stock diameter rotors, even if they do manage heat better.
I tend to agree with this. Also, if you're keeping the stock calipers you're going to be very limited for the moment on pad choice.

Reactions: uthatcher

I have no interest in tracking a 5000 lb car. My only interest is initial bite and subsequent threshold braking feel (although there is always the ABS crutch) and I find these things lacking horribly with the new rotors. It is also nice that they reduce unsprung and, to a lesser degree, rotational inertia. These things I am aware of constantly in my daily driver and thus my interest.

I agree they will likely do little to anything to prolong onset of front brake thermal overload. If I were to attack the track problem, I would do so with a combination of cooling and CCM.

I tend to agree with this. Also, if you're keeping the stock calipers you're going to be very limited for the moment on pad choice.
It's a shame a vendor does not step in and address the pad issue :)

While they are at it, it would be super neat if they did some bells for either Brembo and/or AP rotors. I'm familiar with each and have great confidence in both.

It's a shame a vendor does not step in and address the pad issue :)

While they are at it, it would be super neat if they did some bells for either Brembo and/or AP rotors. I'm familiar with each and have great confidence in both.
We get pads made by Carbotech and I already spoke with them here in the UK. They could produce pads in relatively small quantities if anyone was really stuck but I suspect Carbotech in the U.S. could too.

FWIW I don't think you'll get a worthwhile improvement to bite and feel with those RB rotors. If I were you I'd bed the stock brakes in more first to see how that improves feel. The photos of the rotors you uploaded do not appear fully bedded with enough pad transfer yet.

I'm sure someone in the U.S. will be working on brake upgrades for the Plaid right now. Maybe have a chat with Essex?