Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Save yourself $60K and buy a Model Y Performance. A teeny bit slower but more room inside and fewer issues.
Its plenty fast I have one! I will never get bored of the smashing the accelerator from a stand still and getting thrown back in your seat. The X and S plaid are 2.5 and 1.99 0-60, m3P is 3.1 as is standard S, MYP is 3.5 they are all stupid fast. Y is 110% more practical as you said. I would of preffered m3P, but not with 2 kids.

Reactions: GrinchKing
Its plenty fast I have one! I will never get bored of the smashing the accelerator from a stand still and getting thrown back in your seat. The X and S plaid are 2.5 and 1.99 0-60, m3P is 3.1 as is standard S, MYP is 3.5 they are all stupid fast. Y is 110% more practical as you said. I would of preffered m3P, but not with 2 kids.
The 3/Y isn't remotely in the same category. When you're already going highway speeds, the 3/Y has very little power compared to below 60. the plaid is so ridiculous it doesn't even make sense even when you start off at 100mph. For example, here's the best 60-130 time I had in either one of my M3P's. 60-130mph in 11.15 seconds. without heating up the battery or anything, my plaid does it in 5.04, which means I could accelerate from 60-130 two times and still have a full second left to spare by the time the 3P does it once. (it's actually in the 4 second range with the 19" wheels instead of the 21"). You can also see that the plaid is accelerating at over 1g at over 60mph, the 3/Y won't do that when taking off from 0mph.

Two completely different monsters.

Screenshot_20230504-071425.png

Screenshot_20230504-071501.png

The 3/Y isn't remotely in the same category. When you're already going highway speeds, the 3/Y has very little power compared to below 60. the plaid is so ridiculous it doesn't even make sense even when you start off at 100mph. For example, here's the best 60-130 time I had in either one of my M3P's. 60-130mph in 11.15 seconds. without heating up the battery or anything, my plaid does it in 5.04, which means I could accelerate from 60-130 two times and still have a full second left to spare by the time the 3P does it once. (it's actually in the 4 second range with the 19" wheels instead of the 21"). You can also see that the plaid is accelerating at over 1g at over 60mph, the 3/Y won't do that when taking off from 0mph.

Two completely different monsters.

View attachment 934492

View attachment 934493
Yes! And with me being so young, and not having kids for a long time. I want something to take to the track on the weekends and have a true beast of a car. Sure the y is more practical, but not for me.

Reactions: SO16 and Sam1
Yes! And with me being so young, and not having kids for a long time. I want something to take to the track on the weekends and have a true beast of a car. Sure the y is more practical, but not for me.
The second major difference is that when you get below 70% SoC with a 3/Y, you feel a major loss of power. In the plaid, I still did a 9 second 1/4 mile at the strip at 20% SoC. It does feel like you lose power at triple digit speeds once you get into the lower SoC range, but it's still so ridiculously fast, it's not a big issue.

3.5 versus 1.9 0-60 isn’t just a teeny bit slower. It’s a massive difference. Honestly if I were to get anything besides a plaid it would be an S Lr
It’s not worth another $60K in my humble opinion, but
Yeah if u were to get one, it would 100% be used. There are plenty of used plaids in the 80s
I had a new MSP ultra red on order and canceled after reading about all the issues with it. And the depreciation on these things is crazy. Not hating on anyone else who drives these - it’s sexy and fast as hell. But ultimately I couldn’t find value in purchasing that versus buying another MYP and tricking it out to use as my daily driver.

It’s not worth another $60K in my humble opinion, but

I had a new MSP ultra red on order and canceled after reading about all the issues with it. And the depreciation on these things is crazy. Not hating on anyone else who drives these - it’s sexy and fast as hell. But ultimately I couldn’t find value in purchasing that versus buying another MYP and tricking it out to use as my daily driver.
Yeah the depreciation is crazy. I personally would never buy one new. I guess it really all just depends if the performance is more important than the bad quality

I think you get used to any level of acceleration eventually. Whether you still enjoy the car after becoming accustomed to its acceleration is something only you can answer.
Exactly my experience too.
Over the years my garage progressed from Honda Accord like acceleration to mid 3 seconds sport sedans.

The MYP3 feels violently quicker than the sub 3 second ICE i recently owned eventho on paper its just 1/2 second or so.
I got used to it tho and it doesn't shock me any more.
It is still absolute riot doing quick lane changes.

Never drove a Plaid - cant imagine the feel of yet another second off the clock

The 3/Y isn't remotely in the same category. When you're already going highway speeds, the 3/Y has very little power compared to below 60. the plaid is so ridiculous it doesn't even make sense even when you start off at 100mph. For example, here's the best 60-130 time I had in either one of my M3P's. 60-130mph in 11.15 seconds. without heating up the battery or anything, my plaid does it in 5.04, which means I could accelerate from 60-130 two times and still have a full second left to spare by the time the 3P does it once.

HOLY SHIRT! ... i never realized that
Thats just insane

Reactions: Vines and aerodyne