Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid S or Highland Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plaid has rip your face off acceleration, better suspension, better interior, more cargo space. Downsides are that it's heavier and more difficult to maneuver.

M3P is smaller, lighter, more 'tossable'. Personally I prefer the Plaid since the M3P is 4k lbs anyway, and I figure I might as well go with the better cruiser at that point. And I was disappointed in the power of the new M3P - it will trail off at higher speeds. A 700hp M3P would be compelling if Tesla were to make one.

I would still get the Model S, time tested, and improved year over year. I have owned 3 of them and they are the best fit for my lifestyle. I have a separate track car, so don't need a nimble little car for the weekend. They are superior in range, sound system, suspension, charging speed, noise isolation, efficiency etc. compared to a Performance Highland 3.

Attachments

• Tesla Vehicle Comparison – TeslaTap.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Plaid has rip your face off acceleration, better suspension, better interior, more cargo space. Downsides are that it's heavier and more difficult to maneuver.

M3P is smaller, lighter, more 'tossable'. Personally I prefer the Plaid since the M3P is 4k lbs anyway, and I figure I might as well go with the better cruiser at that point. And I was disappointed in the power of the new M3P - it will trail off at higher speeds. A 700hp M3P would be compelling if Tesla were to make one.
I understand where you’re coming from on the lack of higher speed power on the new M3P but early reviews are quite positive on that front. I’m not so sure anymore
This is like asking:

"Strawberries or Pineapples -- Which one and why"

or

"Beef or Chicken -- Which one and why"

Without some qualifications on what you are after / prefer, the question itself is pretty meaningless.
I’d argue chicken or beef without context is a reasonable question! :)

That said, I have e a 2018 M3P as my only vehicle. I’ve never tracked a car but enjoy spirited driving and while the track sounds fun, realistically it’s probably a one time thing for me.

I can afford either vehicle without but, like most, $30K difference isn’t nothing. I do like the roominess of the S and more premium feel but worry the brakes are too weak (without track pack) for the Plaid even for non track, spirited driving (then again, I’m not driving at insane speeds so am I wrong?)

The brakes on the Plaid are totally fine for street driving. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve even used the brakes anyway. I think the 3 is a very good car but the S to me is a legitimate step up - now, is it worth the $$? Only you can answer that - to me it was, and the Plaid was worth it too over the S LR.

Reactions: WilliamG
I understand where you’re coming from on the lack of higher speed power on the new M3P but early reviews are quite positive on that front. I’m not so sure anymore

I’d argue chicken or beef without context is a reasonable question! :)

That said, I have e a 2018 M3P as my only vehicle. I’ve never tracked a car but enjoy spirited driving and while the track sounds fun, realistically it’s probably a one time thing for me.

I can afford either vehicle without but, like most, $30K difference isn’t nothing. I do like the roominess of the S and more premium feel but worry the brakes are too weak (without track pack) for the Plaid even for non track, spirited driving (then again, I’m not driving at insane speeds so am I wrong?)
I had read about the brakes on the Plaid before I got one. Ice cold brakes can get ABS working at 100+ stops, the limit of stopping is traction not brakes. They are good for 2 to 3 stops in a row at high speeds, after that they might fade. Even doing that on the street is high risk and you really should be on the track anyway, so if on the track having brakes that won't fade once heated would mean you then need the better brakes. For the street, the stock brakes are actually very good if you need to stop quickly in an emergency once, beats the M5 in tests.

I have spent a lot of time on road courses in different cars. Its scary on a race track to over heat brakes, stand on the pedal and it won't slow down, can't lock the tires. Race pads on the street are even scarier, have to stop quickly and they don't work when cold with race pads, stand on the pedal and it won't slow down.

Reactions: Nb1277
Anyone who drives a Tesla Model S Plaid planning on getting a 2024 M3P Highland? The specs seem a bit underwhelming.

The Plaid is a heavy car but a brute at any speed.

Curious when M3P test drives will be available, and if anyone has driven both?

There is no such 'Highland' model

While Tesla officially calls it the "New Model 3 Performance" (or "2024 Model 3 Performance"), "Highland" was the codename for the "refreshed" Model 3 and many people inside and outside Tesla recognize that term.

Please stop posting these one-liners to various threads where the term "Highland" is used, repetition isn't useful.

Thanks,

Bruce.

I love the top end pull of the Plaid. The interior, hatchback, and cargo are nice. The range is nice.

As a daily driver, it's a heavy car and not a great suspension despite the "adaptive air suspension". Sound system is nice.

I also feel the FSD on Plaid isn't quite as good as FSD on M3. The reason is probably more training data comes from the smaller car.

I'm tempted to get a M3P as a "temporary" car, perhaps lease it x 2 years, and wait for HW5 before going "all in" and buying a Plaid (or whatever is next) with track brake package. Original Model S Plaid brakes are not ideal, but tolerable for "regular" driving.

I love the top end pull of the Plaid. The interior, hatchback, and cargo are nice. The range is nice.

As a daily driver, it's a heavy car and not a great suspension despite the "adaptive air suspension". Sound system is nice.

I also feel the FSD on Plaid isn't quite as good as FSD on M3. The reason is probably more training data comes from the smaller car.

I'm tempted to get a M3P as a "temporary" car, perhaps lease it x 2 years, and wait for HW5 before going "all in" and buying a Plaid (or whatever is next) with track brake package. Original Model S Plaid brakes are not ideal, but tolerable for "regular" driving.
I feel the MS has far better FSD than the MY/3 from owning and using it on all. I guess it's driver preference.

My MS nags less (MUCH less tbh), I disengage less, the yoke is much better with FSD. I haven't tried the M3P suspension, but the MS is much better than the Highland (LR) in my experience.

Reactions: oktane
Anyone who drives a Tesla Model S Plaid planning on getting a 2024 M3P Highland? The specs seem a bit underwhelming.

The Plaid is a heavy car but a brute at any speed.

Curious when M3P test drives will be available, and if anyone has driven both?
I dumped my 2023 M3P for a Plaid. The 2024 is simply warmed over a touch and for all intents and purposes is the same car. I have 0 intentions of ever going back.

Reactions: oktane and Yelobird
No doubt in my mind the 3 is more fun to drive. A little slower, a lot less refined (although highland upgrades make it less of a POS than the old one). If you're looking for a more rounded sense of "fun to drive" I think the M3P is the right choice. I recently sold my 3 and I'm thinking of trading my S for a new M3P. Plaid is obviously gonzo fast, but that can only be used in a limited number of scenarios and IMO is more about showing off than having fun.

Reactions: oktane
I dumped my 2023 M3P for a Plaid. The 2024 is simply warmed over a touch and for all intents and purposes is the same car. I have 0 intentions of ever going back.

Having driven a 2023 and a 2024 back to back, I strongly disagree with this statement. I think the improvements to the highland are well excecuted, exactly what the car needed and enhance the quality quite a bit. 2024 M3P has adaptive dampers and traditional coil springs, which is fine. Air suspension has its plusses and minuses, but isn't "best" by any means, especially when it comes to performance.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Any idea on if the brakes on M3P are appropriate for the car? On the Plaid you really need the track package if you want the braking and acceleration balanced. The yoke is cool but I never got as good with it as a round steering wheel for spirited driving.