Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My vibration was massive under full throttle from 10 to 35 mph. I had 4 sets of front half shaft replacements which only stopped when I lowered the car 1" to it's pre 2014 height where Tesla raised the car an inch to mitigate battery strikes. This result in a 3.6 degree increase in the cv joint angle resulting in bent and cv bearing races.
The vibration on new models doesn’t have the same root cause as the old ones, even if it feels similar. It’s always been more of a partial throttle vibration on the palladium cars

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG and sorka
I've only driven it a couple times so far...no vibration. I wish I could say the new version wasn't still making horrible lane changes (away from navigation) on my morning routes. I think most of it is due to map issues given a lot of newer lanes in my area but it's annoying as hell.
Unrelated to the vibration, but the "Minimal Lane Change" setting not 'sticking' is a major PITA! There is a stretch of road (not Interstate) in town that is 3 lanes in each direction. The middle lane is insanely rough. The big trucks stick to that lane and tear it up badly. A Ford F150 Raptor would be a smooth ride in the middle lane. The far right lane is a nightmare of other drivers entering and exiting the roadway. I try to stick in the far left lane, but FSD keeps moving me around like a teenage street racer. It's much better with "Minimal Lane Change" enabled, but I often forget to set it before each drive. Future FSD needs a setting for "Stay in this lane on this roadway". It would work like the "Always raise at this location". When you're on this particular road, disable lane changes.

I can dream.

Reactions: Yelobird
Unrelated to the vibration, but the "Minimal Lane Change" setting not 'sticking' is a major PITA! There is a stretch of road (not Interstate) in town that is 3 lanes in each direction. The middle lane is insanely rough. The big trucks stick to that lane and tear it up badly. A Ford F150 Raptor would be a smooth ride in the middle lane. The far right lane is a nightmare of other drivers entering and exiting the roadway. I try to stick in the far left lane, but FSD keeps moving me around like a teenage street racer. It's much better with "Minimal Lane Change" enabled, but I often forget to set it before each drive. Future FSD needs a setting for "Stay in this lane on this roadway". It would work like the "Always raise at this location". When you're on this particular road, disable lane changes.

I can dream.
Definitely not related to this thread (though I agree with you, and is unquestionably done so that Tesla can gather as much data from general car maneuvers as possible, inconvenience to the customer be damned).

To close the loop on my prior post (which I know doesn't cover all the symptoms in this thread but I'm commenting anyway to potentially give others hope): After about a week of testing my Dec 2023 model now running 2023.44.30.8, the cold ~30-35MPH vibration is totally gone (he says cautiously). It's now completely smooth all the way up to freeway speeds.
Here's to hoping it stays fixed and all of you get similarly sorted soon!

To close the loop on my prior post (which I know doesn't cover all the symptoms in this thread but I'm commenting anyway to potentially give others hope): After about a week of testing my Dec 2023 model now running 2023.44.30.8, the cold ~30-35MPH vibration is totally gone (he says cautiously). It's now completely smooth all the way up to freeway speeds.
Yep, been driving for a while now on 2023.44.30.8 and haven't noticed anything unusual. Any vibration I might feel is so fleeting I wonder if I imagined it, or if it's the road surface. Certainly nothing like what it was, and if I bought the car on 2023.44.30.8 I'd definitely never notice anything awry.

Yep, been driving for a while now on 2023.44.30.8 and haven't noticed anything unusual. Any vibration I might feel is so fleeting I wonder if I imagined it, or if it's the road surface. Certainly nothing like what it was, and if I bought the car on 2023.44.30.8 I'd definitely never notice anything awry.
This is exactly how I'd characterize my experience.

Reactions: AudiA4 and WilliamG
Same. I’m super thrilled with the fix, and would have bet $100 it couldn’t be handled with a software update. This was really the only issue I had with my car, so I’m now very pleased with my purchase.

My 2021 Model S Plaid had the vibration issue after 4k miles. Starting from 38-50mph vibration to highway speed vibration. It’s so bad that I had to use AP on highway because of holding on the steering wheel for too long will make my hands numb.
Over the past 3 years, checking back on this thread at least once a month to see if any solution is available became a habit. Recently, I took delivery of the Cybertruck and didn’t get to drive the S at all. Tonight when I checked this thread, I found the new update might solve the problem that has been driving me crazy for the past 25k miles. I just finished my test drive on the new update, both on local and freeway…OMFG! My baby is finally back! The car is driving so smoothly! Farewell, vibration OGs!!!

My 2021 Model S Plaid had the vibration issue after 4k miles. Starting from 38-50mph vibration to highway speed vibration. It’s so bad that I had to use AP on highway because of holding on the steering wheel for too long will make my hands numb.
Over the past 3 years, checking back on this thread at least once a month to see if any solution is available became a habit. Recently, I took delivery of the Cybertruck and didn’t get to drive the S at all. Tonight when I checked this thread, I found the new update might solve the problem that has been driving me crazy for the past 25k miles. I just finished my test drive on the new update, both on local and freeway…OMFG! My baby is finally back! The car is driving so smoothly! Farewell, vibration OGs!!!
Yep, it's preeeetty much completely gone, now, for most. It can rear its head occasionally (I'm not sure Tesla's software completely addressed it under all circumstances), but for the most part it's a far smoother ride. Glad you're happy!

I do wonder what Tesla needs to tweak to reduce it further. At this point I don’t know that they’ll bother, but it would be nice…

And they are fixing other things like the font size too...

For some reason, I still notice the vibration, but it's way below what the DW would ever notice. Nothing further to add, but I might chime in again on another issues thread.

Reactions: WilliamG
Yeah I agree,
I recently put a new set of PS4's on my 20's that had about 28k on them. (I only changed them cause under hard accel, they were spinning) but they had another 3-4k left on them.
I digress, but the vibration is SO much better/gone. When i drive through the speed where it would vibrate I was conditioned to know what speed I was going without looking, but now it's so smooth, it's like butter I cannot even tell my speed.
That in combo with new tires/balance the car is SO amazingly smooth.

Is this the same issue as this thread?

Is this the same issue as this thread?
No, that's a different vibration at high speeds. The one in this thread is 40-50 mph, under light acceleration, and somehow related to the front half shafts.