Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pod Point installed today - they were excellent!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I waited around a week and called them. They came back to me with an installation date (around 2 weeks away) later on that day. May be worth a call to them. btw less than a 2min wait on the phone so no Tesla-type on hold issues!

Gave Pod Point a call. If it was my company I wouldn't be proud of the response that was given to me today by Pod Point. It sounded very disorganised and I wonder when my installation would have been scheduled if I hadnt rang. Installation booked for Sept. I paid for this in July! Not impressed so far.

Reactions: Roy W.
Gave Pod Point a call. If it was my company I wouldn't be proud of the response that was given to me today by Pod Point. It sounded very disorganised and I wonder when my installation would have been scheduled if I hadnt rang. Installation booked for Sept. I paid for this in July! Not impressed so far.

No excuse for your terrible service, but they were great when I had mine fitted back in June. Emailed back within 24 hours of the order to confirm installation details, booked a slot about 2 weeks later for the install, turned up on time and fitted cleanly and efficiently (contracted out installer). It was the same with them about 2 years before when we fitted a point at my wife's business, but less wait for the installation.

Now all I need is a car to check the point is actually working....

Not necessarily PodPoint related but I have a home charger related question..

Whilst I wait patiently for my M3 I'm keeping myself busy researching home charging options. One of the quotes I had from a Tesla approved electrician mentioned before any works are carried out I need my electric provider to install an isolation switch. I've booked this in which is going to cost £120 although in the meantime I've had a number of other quotes which haven't mentioned the isolation switch at all. My question is, do I need one?

Still not heard back from Pod Point. My issues are pretty random. It just crapped out again but this time at 15A.... I left it all plugged in while the PodPoint did what ever the hell it was doing and charging seemed to resume by itself once the light stopped flashing yellow. Then I upped the amps to 30 and for right now it seems to be fine. Very odd....

A depressing reality...
IMG_20190819_191646.jpg

I ordered last Thursday and completed the paperwork the same day. Had a phone call to arrange installation the next day, and managed to get it booked in for today.

Unfortunately, my house is on a loop which requires Pod Point to get permission to fit the unit from my supplier. This is an application process, so no idea how long that is going to take.

I do wish they'd have asked some questions which might have ascertained these facts first, but the installer was a very nice local-ish chap and offered to quickly come back if the application was granted soon.

Is your meter on the outside of the house? I got a pod-point last year and they wired it straight into the metre box. My house is only 5 years old though so may be different.

The main contractor in NI is Baird Electrical. They are very good, but can take a while to get to you as they seem to be the only contractor for the whole of NI for pod-point.

View attachment 433534
interesting, iv got a rolec wall pod coming in September and they asked to see my fuse box. So I took a picture, then took a picture of the outside of the house where I want it and I'm sure they would have seen the meter unit right next to that. To me, they surely can go from there to the pod without needing to drill through the wall to the fuse box or could take the light of the wall above it and use its hole.

Not necessarily PodPoint related but I have a home charger related question..

Whilst I wait patiently for my M3 I'm keeping myself busy researching home charging options. One of the quotes I had from a Tesla approved electrician mentioned before any works are carried out I need my electric provider to install an isolation switch. I've booked this in which is going to cost £120 although in the meantime I've had a number of other quotes which haven't mentioned the isolation switch at all. My question is, do I need one?

This sounds correct. From memory, the regulations changed sometime in the Spring so that EV chargers now require a Type B RCD. Any EV charge needs this curcuit protection, something to do with current leakage protection. It would be illegal to install without it. The Type B RCD is much more expensive than the old Type A RCD that would be compliant last year hence the £120 cost.

Some EV charger suppliers include the required circuit protection inside the chargher itself hence the installation is cheaper. The Tesla wall charge does not have internal protection so you need the external RCD Type B protection upstream. This may explain why some quotes have not mentioned the RCD, it is effectively included within their chargers.

Disclaimer here ... I'm not an electrician and have replied from memory so please excuse the vague explanation.

I ordered last Thursday and completed the paperwork the same day. Had a phone call to arrange installation the next day, and managed to get it booked in for today.

Unfortunately, my house is on a loop which requires Pod Point to get permission to fit the unit from my supplier. This is an application process, so no idea how long that is going to take.

I do wish they'd have asked some questions which might have ascertained these facts first, but the installer was a very nice local-ish chap and offered to quickly come back if the application was granted soon.

PodPoint have just told me I am on a looped supply so they’ve had to ask UK Power Networks whether they can install a charger or if some kind of supply upgrade is needed. Who knows how long this will take... Still, I’m not expecting to see my Model 3 before October.

Last edited:
This sounds correct. From memory, the regulations changed sometime in the Spring so that EV chargers now require a Type B RCD. Any EV charge needs this curcuit protection, something to do with current leakage protection. It would be illegal to install without it. The Type B RCD is much more expensive than the old Type A RCD that would be compliant last year hence the £120 cost.

Some EV charger suppliers include the required circuit protection inside the chargher itself hence the installation is cheaper. The Tesla wall charge does not have internal protection so you need the external RCD Type B protection upstream. This may explain why some quotes have not mentioned the RCD, it is effectively included within their chargers.

Disclaimer here ... I'm not an electrician and have replied from memory so please excuse the vague explanation.

Ah, makes much more sense now! Appreciate your help.

I had my PodPoint installed today. Engineer arrived on time, kept me informed throughout, finished job on time and ensured it was working before leaving. 5 stars. Charging rate around 20 miles per hour which is a decent step up from the 5 or 6 previously delivered via 3-pin plug.

I had my PodPoint installed today. Engineer arrived on time, kept me informed throughout, finished job on time and ensured it was working before leaving. 5 stars. Charging rate around 20 miles per hour which is a decent step up from the 5 or 6 previously delivered via 3-pin plug.
20 miles an hour seems a bit slow for a 7.2kW charger. Mine gives me 28 miles. Had you got your air-con turned on by any chance?