Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pod Point installed today - they were excellent!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't mean to p*** on anyone's party, but where I live, (but maybe not where PistonsDead lives) it is a requirement that if more than one consumer unit is connected to a main fuse, a single point of disconnection must be provided so that all the consumer units can be isolated from the supply by flipping one switch. Here's a picture of our installation after we had a second consumer unit fitted (indoors), showing the single isolator switch that was fitted at the same time. Might be worth checking whether this should have been done and get them back to do it if necessaryView attachment 433537

They fitted that as standard for me.

Some may need a longer cable? Podpoint seems to be circa 4.5m, too short for parking nose in I believe and I think the length of the Tesla type 2's supplied are a bit hit and miss.

Personally, I first thought about using the Tesla supplied cable, but soon realised that, in the wet, it will be much better to use a tethered one than put a wet one away in the car.

IIRC they sell different lengths of cable (both tethered and untethered).

Podpoint drilled straight through my alarm system, then the installer pushed the wires back in to make it look like he hadn't done anything. No earth spike, wrong RCD, no installation certificate, but he did use armoured cable through the house, so there's that (it aint going to get damaged, you'd have to take an axe to it..)

I'm going to have to have the whole thing ripped out and reinstalled properly at some point, but having burned the OLEV grant I'm putting that off as long as possible. I guess pay cheap, pay twice.

Hmmm.... That's not good. And not my experience with them at all. What did they say when you told them about the problems?

They responded to my initial email then went radio silence... no help at all. They're probably fine if nothing goes wrong, but like many companies have no procedure for anything out of the ordinary. It was 3 years ago.. I still warn people to watch the installer like a hawk if they intend to use them.

They're somewhat renowned for not installing the earth spike and using the wrong RCD. They claim their charger doesn't need them.. but it leaves you with the cost of a full install if you ever want to change to a different brand.

Is your meter on the outside of the house? I got a pod-point last year and they wired it straight into the metre box. My house is only 5 years old though so may be different.

The main contractor in NI is Baird Electrical. They are very good, but can take a while to get to you as they seem to be the only contractor for the whole of NI for pod-point.

View attachment 433534

Hi no my house is a large build from 1886 converted into two semis . The meter is indoor at the back door but I park at the front door so prob a good 15 meters of distance away . Only just thinking about the charger after the event of having ordered the car. But would like something that isn’t going to lead to a hell of a lot of visable leads running all round the house....

Sounds like a non standard install.

If it was me, I would work out what you would be happy to have to get a supply from A to B then get a independent sparkie in to discuss doing the work instead of a one size fits all install that many OLEV suppliers would do. You lose the OLEV, but hopefully get the job you want.

PS don't tell sparkie you are getting a Tesla...

Reactions: -DB-
Sounds like a non standard install.

If it was me, I would work out what you would be happy to have to get a supply from A to B then get a independent sparkie in to discuss doing the work instead of a one size fits all install that many OLEV suppliers would do. You lose the OLEV, but hopefully get the job you want.

PS don't tell sparkie you are getting a Tesla...
You can do this and still get the OLEV grant. When we had our new garage built 4 years ago we put all the cables in as part of the build, and the sparky that did the garage connected the EV feed to the consumer unit, and terminated it at the other end ready for the charger. I then had the Rolec installer come and install the charger. It was no problem at all.

So if you’ve got anything like a non-standard installation, simply get your own electrician to do that work, and leave the tails ready for the OLEV man to connect to.

Reactions: MrBadger
Just in case it is of use to anyone I ordered a Pod Point over a week ago, and after sending through photos immediately after I have heard nothing. I called this morning and after a while waiting for the call to be answered managed to book an appointment for Monday. I expect they are inundated with Model 3 expectees, but if you need it installed it's well worth chasing.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Building regs certificate may come direct from LA - iirc this happened with my solar but other electrical work I have had done, my sparky self certified under the competent person scheme. Alas he has subsequently deregistered from NICEIC so I cannot use him.

Probably worth checking with Podpoint what you expect to receive and from whom

I’ve been planning on Pod Point myself . My fuse box is on the other side of my house from where cars are parked . Is this going to cause a problem? Looks like some very thick black cables go from Pod Point to fuse box which could look a bit ugly if they have to run the length of my house ?....
Same issue. I ordered the 7KW non tethered box which creeps around the side of the house (out of sight). Instead of a big black cable nailed to the front walls, i use a 10M portable charge cable instead. Can be a pain retrieving if it’s pissing down, but house frontage is unaffected...Job done.

I’ve been thinking about putting the unit closer to the house and running a 10 m cable hidden along my fence and just popping out where the car is away from the house. Or is it recommended to reel the cable back into the unit after use?

I have had Pod Point come and complete my install now and have to say that (IMO as a non electrician) they seemed to do a very good job for a standard install.
The chap turned up on time, looked around a bit for earths on water and gas, the latter i did not have so he installed as part of the job (which I haven't been charged for although probably should have been). Ran the cable from the meter to the PP. Electric was off for 15 minutes while he connected to the meter. He took me through the operation and left me with a pamphlet. Having looked in the meter box he has installed a new 'mini' consumer unit especially for the PP. Seems tidy and has all the yellow stickers I'd expect to see on such a thing. WRT to documentation I was told something would come in a couple of weeks from their main office (haven't chased yet)

Now I just need to wait for a M3 to test it with o_O

I have pod point, and they were excellent too, went out their way to get it all sorted, well the fitter.

Though I wonder if charge master is not a better option now days as they have far more public charge points, and do not know if you get a better deal if you have one of their home chargers.

This doesn’t inspire confidence!
This was happening for a while, was not pleased! I can deal with a 15 amp charge over this...
IMG_20190815_205232.jpg