Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - Are you waiting for the infrastructure bill before ordering?

For those in the market for a tesla - what of the below options do you belong to?

• I can wait - and I am going to wait until at least august (when they hope bill will pass)

Votes: 65 19.8%
  • I can wait - and I am going to wait until at the bill passes (August 2024.....)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I can wait - and am ordering now and accepting deliverh ASAP

Votes: 49 14.9%
  • I cannot wait - and am ordering now and accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • I cannot wait - but I am going to milk my current situation to maybe get until august

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Undecided and will make a rash decision as I have ADHD

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • I would pay 2X MSRP for a tesla because I make bank, therefore accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I currently have a Tesla and will trade in for a different vehicle when incentives pass

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • I currently have a Tesla and am trading in before incentives pass

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • I am going to keep my current Tesla for at least 2+ years and incentives will not change that

Votes: 24 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also waiting for the fed tax incentives but it doesn't look like they'll be coming anytime soon. They didn't make it into the Infrastructure Bill and it sounds as though there may not be enough votes for the Reconciliation Bill. At this stage, I'm going to wait for the 2022 model. Is it correct that you can delay acceptance of your car for 6 months? I believe I read that in one of these threads. It's August, is it too early to begin speculation on when the 2022s will be out and what changes there might be?

I am also waiting for the fed tax incentives but it doesn't look like they'll be coming anytime soon. They didn't make it into the Infrastructure Bill and it sounds as though there may not be enough votes for the Reconciliation Bill. At this stage, I'm going to wait for the 2022 model. Is it correct that you can delay acceptance of your car for 6 months? I believe I read that in one of these threads. It's August, is it too early to begin speculation on when the 2022s will be out and what changes there might be?

this is ways away... NY just decreased the tax incentive rebate from $2k to $500 on june 30...

Wondering if anybody is considering putting their order on hold, in anticipation of this bipartisan bill riding along side of the budget reconciliation. As i understand, the proposal is to make the incentive a rebate instead of a tax credit, which i believe would be applied at point of sale. That said, if your point of sale occurred before this thing passes, you may potentially miss out on significant savings.

A tax credit could potentially be retroactive ( have heard May 31st or such as the date being retroactive to)

However a rebate would have to be applied at some date and only going forward, correct? Maybe Jan 1, 2022?

Either way, it gives pause to one considering taking delivery, while they may miss this opportunity to save some money.

Thoughts?

I stuck to my plan and waited until August, and now I restarted my order and will get delivery around Labor Day. Shrug, I don't mind the fact I waited 3 months for nothing, it allowed me to feel more comfortable with my decision. Will the massive budget bill have the credit in there? Maybe. But I wasn't willing to wait until probably November to find that out.

I wish people would stop posting this. There will be no change to the EV tax credit on a federal level any time soon.

If you disagree, you clearly do not understand how US Government works.
Yes, the rest of us are clearly not the legislative genius that you purport to be.......but then I'll just share this...

I stuck to my plan and waited until August, and now I restarted my order and will get delivery around Labor Day. Shrug, I don't mind the fact I waited 3 months for nothing, it allowed me to feel more comfortable with my decision. Will the massive budget bill have the credit in there? Maybe. But I wasn't willing to wait until probably November to find that out.
Biden is certainly pushing for EV tax credits or POS credits. I agree we won't know anything until November or so as the budget resolution has to be passed first in the coming weeks and then Senate and House recess until September sometime. Once they reconvene they will go through the whole process of budget reconciliation and potentially passing a bill. It all depends on what the moderate House and Senate Democrats get behind as many of them have said a $3.5T total price tag is too high. So the question becomes what gets cut? $100B+ in EV credits? We will see; they may not be able to pass any bill at all.

Yes, the rest of us are clearly not the legislative genius that you purport to be.......but then I'll just share this...

Clearly not. I will also be sarcastic and post this here for your reference. Seriously though, you may want to watch it since you clearly did not make it past the headline of the article you linked.

Biden is certainly pushing for EV tax credits or POS credits. I agree we won't know anything until November or so as the budget resolution has to be passed first in the coming weeks and then Senate and House recess until September sometime. Once they reconvene they will go through the whole process of budget reconciliation and potentially passing a bill. It all depends on what the moderate House and Senate Democrats get behind as many of them have said a $3.5T total price tag is too high. So the question becomes what gets cut? $100B+ in EV credits? We will see; they may not be able to pass any bill at all.
Yeah, the credits were in the infrastructure draft, then quickly got dropped. Most believe that the 3.5T will get whittled down a bunch, and I assume EV credits will be an early victim.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Reactions: Sam1
Wrong again. But nice try. Bottom line: it isn’t happening.

The revisions to the present federal income tax rebate for purchasers of qualified plug-in hybridand electric vehicles are contained in Senate Bill 1298, the Clean Energy for America Act.
I'm still up in the air on it... They may potentially do it in the other bill. However, historically, when the government mandates something, they stop giving benefits for it because you have no choice but to abide. So I'm also thinking it may never happen as well.