Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: current safety score

What is your current safety score?

• 100 - 95

Votes: 253 82.1%
  • 94 - 90

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • 89 - 80

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • 79 - 50

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 50 or less

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's goal is to collect more data that will help them improve FSD functionality. Safeness of your driving is just a sliver of that objective.
I think making sure there are no accidents in Beta is quite high on their priority list. Musk stated as much ...

NTSB / Senators making comments about "untrained" testers is a good reason for Tesla to show that they carefully chose good drivers.

Reactions: nvx1977
it would be because of the way they pick a subset of people who are "good drivers". Could be geographic distribution, # of miles driven, exact model of the car they drive etc.
Yep. And for sure, it won't follow what Elon said, which for anyone that speaks English is unambiguous.
If driving behavior is good for 7 days, beta access will be granted

We have no evidence that will happen, just more random Elon tweets.
Look at the current FSD beta testers that post on YouTube. Are they driving safe? Many of them have hands off the wheel for a long time, and they get to keep it. Does anyone actually know anyone who was removed?
You need to learn to pickup the signals from those random tweets.

I'm fairly sure some people have been kicked out already - and definitely will be kicked out once Beta group expands well beyond the current 200 or so non-employees.

And yet they didn't make any such careful decisions about their current crop of YouTubers, which is the only place anyone so far has seen FSD at all.
Unforced error #762 for Tesla.

Current group seems to be mainly for PR. Anyway, Mr Perfect, their "unforced error #762" hasn't caused any accidents (yet).

Look at the current FSD beta testers that post on YouTube. Are they driving safe? Many of them have hands off the wheel for a long time, and they get to keep it. Does anyone actually know anyone who was removed?

I am getting a kick out of all of this though. Those of you that paid for FSD are now trying to drive differently than you normally would, in order to satisfy a blind algorithm, in order to get access to software you PAID for years ago, that was supposed to drive the car for you, and you're worried that once you have it, if you drive badly in a car that is FULL SELF DRIVING that you'll loose access to the FULL SELF DRIVING you paid for, wherein it shouldn't be possible to drive badly since you will be using FULL SELF DRIVING all the time you drive and Tesla doesn't evaluate safety when you're using FULL SELF DRIVING.

NO REFUNDS.

It's crazy.

And the people now putting there "safety score" in their signatures. OMG. You have fallen for Elon's game so hard.
What’s the alternative? Not playing the game and not getting FSD? Lol if you want the beta you gotta do what you gotta do. I think most people will agree that the safety score is dumb, and if anything making people more reckless on the road by avoiding braking for pedestrians and bikes, etc…but what are you gonna do? I want the beta, so I will play the “game” for a few days…if it turns out it’s all a scam and they let in like 1% based on some arbitrary number then screw it. I’m not playing the game for More than a week or two. It’s annoying.

What’s the alternative? Not playing the game and not getting FSD?
Well, I took the alternative of not paying Tesla for FSD back in 2016-2021 (all years I owned Teslas), and I'm sure not going to do it in 2021 until I'm buying more than a lottery ticket.

I think most people will agree that the safety score is dumb
I present to you a very active Reddit thread wherein most people think it's a great idea (despite the clickbait title)

Apparently only people on iPhone need to calculate these things, as the app hasn't even updated in the Google Play store to be able to see what the score is at all for those on Android.

You have to wonder about that.... Google gives app developers the option to release to all, or do a rolling release. Since Tesla released to all on the App Store, they likely would have done the same for the Play store. So why is it still not there? This also happened last release when the Tesla app got the facelift (Gotham to Helvetica).

Reactions: kvandivo
I think making sure there are no accidents in Beta is quite high on their priority list. Musk stated as much ...

NTSB / Senators making comments about "untrained" testers is a good reason for Tesla to show that they carefully chose good drivers.
Current group seems to be mainly for PR. Anyway, Mr Perfect, their "unforced error #762" hasn't caused any accidents (yet).

They didn't need the "safety score" in the past. Why do they need it now? Appears their previous method worked just fine, and that you actually don't need some crazy trained testers to make it safe. Random youtubers driving at night and talking to the camera are safe enough.
It's all marketing.....

Reactions: MTOman
Those of you that paid for FSD are now trying to drive differently than you normally would...
I specifically wanted to see if Tesla would consider me as safe as I think I am so I haven't been driving any differently and have been pleased with the results. I wish instead of consenting to have your driving monitored for 7 days, you consented to a 30 day history analysis and then given a decision on the spot. I think that would have been more reflective of how people truly drive...and I also wouldn't have to wait another week ;).

I am getting a kick out of all of this though. Those of you that paid for FSD are now trying to drive differently than you normally would, in order to satisfy a blind algorithm, in order to get access to software you PAID for years ago,

I've gotten a good day and a half of driving in thus far. I'm a safe driver anyway, I'm at 99 and that's due to someone cutting me off where my safe/defensive driving kept me from hitting them. And because of that, I'm not really chasing the score to get the beta. My take is my normal safe driving should suffice, if not, there's issues with the scoring or it's not a beta I need to be a part of.

Side note: the FAQ under "Learn More" in the app, states most drivers fall between 80 and 100, that sounds like the safe driver range to me. Also, with the number of bugs and regressions that get fixed in car updates, I can't imagine this newly released scoring system doesn't have it's own issues which will also need tweaking.

I also think the scoring system isn't going away once one gets beta access. Assuming I didn't miss documentation that states otherwise, I'd imagine the same scoring system that gets you the beta, is the same one that will get you revoked from the beta once you have it.

Last edited:
if not, there's issues with the scoring or it's not a beta I need to be a part of.
It's interesting to see people that have presumably had a car for about a year, going "eh, I don't need to be part of this beta and silly scoring system." Yep, you still believe it will be out of beta soon, and this is just a few weeks.

There are people from 2016 going "What, This thing I paid for in 2016 and was told would definitely be here in 2017 isn't even released to BETA yet, and when it is I need to consent to them evaluating my driving through an arbitrary algorithm to get a lottery ticket to get it?"

Side note: the FAQ under "Learn More" in the app, states most drivers fall between 80 and 100, that sounds like the safe driver range to me. Also, with the number of bugs and regressions that get fixed in car updates, I can't imagine this newly released scoring system doesn't have it's own issues which will also need tweaking.
So here's the issue with this logic.
The scoring system has been out for 2 days. Yet they already know "most" drivers are 80-100? How?
Oh, right. Tesla says they have 6 BILLION miles of data. So they have a HUGE data set to evaluate this on.

So clearly they can collect this on any car, because they already did. So give it to everyone, not FSD purchasers. This is about SAFETY, right?

And second, why would they need to tweak the algorithm? They have 6 BILLION miles of data to have evaluated the statistical significance on. What data are they going to collect in the next few weeks that makes them realize they have a bug? And how are the next few weeks even statistically interesting given everyone is aware they are being studied?

Tesla can't both say this is statistically backed with billions of miles of data and then go "and we might tweak this because it's newly released, and these next 100M miles of data in the 7 days before we release the beta will teach us things." Don't they have good, solid statisticians working on this? Or did they put the same ones on this that they put on the "Safety Report" that compares city driving off AP to highway driving on AP?

The only thing they can learn in the short term is marketing pushback. Which they have already done, since they took out acceleration between it being the "insurance score" and the "safety score." It will be super interesting if they end up keeping acceleration in the insurance score....

they have billions of miles of anonymous data. They used that to build a scoring system that may have centered the curve around 80. Now they need to identify actual VINs that are on the right side of the curve, so they can ungate FSD beta to those people. You have to opt-in to share your VIN-associated data.

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman

I am getting a kick out of all of this though. Those of you that paid for FSD are now trying to drive differently than you normally would, in order to satisfy a blind algorithm, in order to get access to software you PAID for years ago, that was supposed to drive the car for you, and you're worried that once you have it, if you drive badly in a car that is FULL SELF DRIVING that you'll loose access to the FULL SELF DRIVING you paid for, wherein it shouldn't be possible to drive badly since you will be using FULL SELF DRIVING all the time you drive and Tesla doesn't evaluate safety when you're using FULL SELF DRIVING.

NO REFUNDS.

It's crazy.

And the people now putting there "safety score" in their signatures. OMG. You have fallen for Elon's game so hard.
That’s not actually how a lot of us think at all. We also aren’t all the same (e.g. - I’m not about to put my safety score in a signature ha). We purchased FSD capability with the car order 3.5 years ago (much less than $10k) knowing that FSD wasn’t coming for awhile (I personally think/thought it would be many many years, despite optimistic Elon tweets), but that features would be added over time (and many have been over the last 3.5 years). I hope to try FSD early (by driving differently for just 7 days), not “to get software I paid for years ago”. If I get to try FSD early, I probably wouldn’t keep driving so differently/slowly, even if it would be (maybe) taken away. Because this is EARLY access, not “getting what I paid for”, as I’m pretty sure FSD beta in its current form is NOT what I paid for.

they have billions of miles of anonymous data. They used that to build a scoring system that may have centered the curve around 80. Now they need to identify actual VINs that are on the right side of the curve, so they can ungate FSD beta to those people. You have to opt-in to share your VIN-associated data.
Yes, they have billions of miles of anonymous car data. Presumably they have thousands of accidents in there. I mean, it literally says it calculates a Probability of Collision Frequency. If the data set doesn't contain a lot of accidents, it's worthless, as the only thing that matters is predicting the chance of an accident using other metrics. It's impossible to calculate the probability without some positives in the data set (in this case, accidents).

So yeah, now they need to tie your data to your VIN. However, this doesn't explain why they would need to change the algorithm in the future just because it's "new". The only thing that changes the accident prediction algorithm is including more data (more accidents, more miles, new parameters), not some sort of "whoops, let's weight acceleration less." But with 6 billion miles, the new data collected in the next week isn't going to change anything.

Unless this isn't actually statistically driven of course, and it's either marketing, or Tesla's gut feel about what matters...

Last edited:
but that features would be added over time (and many have been over the last 3.5 years)
Smart summon in 2019.
Stop control detection in 2020.

What else?

I hope to try FSD early (by driving differently for just 7 days)
In other words, you are going to game your driving to try and get something you paid for, when that was never described as a requirement to get it when you bought it.

as I’m pretty sure FSD beta in its current form is NOT what I paid for.
If you bought in 2018, you're right. If you bought in 2019 or later, this is literally all Tesla ever promised you would get for your FSD purchase. An L2, driver always has to monitor system. Forever. No L3 or L4.

There are about 1M cars from 2019+. There are about 150K cars from 2016-2018. Guess which group Tesla doesn't really care what they promised to?

Last edited:
It's interesting to see people that have presumably had a car for about a year, going "eh, I don't need to be part of this beta and silly scoring system." Yep, you still believe it will be out of beta soon, and this is just a few weeks.
Let's be more clear in clarifying "people that" and "you" since what you described isn't me. I am sincere in what I stated. If I have to feel like I'm chasing the score, just to get the beta, I don't really want it enough to do so. I had the cash for FSD at the time and added it to my order last year, but it's not nearly as dear to me as it may be to others.

IOW, I have other hobbies whathaveyou that are far more dear to me, this one, interesting and fun when I have time to check in, but not so many real shts to give.

Reactions: mhan00 and momo3605