Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How do you feel about Grill-less front end styling?

How do you feel about current Model 3 Front Grill?

• It's fine, don't change it.

Votes: 243 70.4%
  • It's tolerable (I would still buy), but prefer change

Votes: 89 25.8%
  • It's intolerable, if it doesn't change, I would not buy a Model 3

Votes: 13 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Model 3 is the best looking Tesla yet. They really managed to get the sleekness of the Model S, and the nose is far superior to the Model X. It looks modern and stylish. And at the same time, it's not a weirdmobile. Something about it just reminds me of Porsche.

It's definitely grown on me. When I first saw it, I was like, "That's....different." But when I saw some different angles of it, I think it looks aggressive and sporty. Kind of Porsche-like. I wouldn't object if they fine-tuned the shape slightly, but the fact that it doesn't have a traditional grille doesn't bother me. As I said before, why hold on to a vestigal affectation when it doesn't serve a purpose?

It's not the lack of a grille that bothers me, is the odd looking, not-aerodynamic-looking-at-all flat area on the front bumper.

If the bumper were rounded off, the lack of a grille wouldn't bother me at all. As it is, it looks like someone ran the car into a wall.

I concur with the statement above. The front bumper modified to some extent like below would be palatable.

ashRZB4.jpg

Above image pulled from this thread here: Grill Me!

Not to nitpick but what does any of this have to do with a grille? A grille is an opening in the front. Why does "grille" keep getting mentioned? I can't remember anyone ever complaining about the lack of conventional ICE type of front grille on the Model 3.

The opening in the bottom of the front is there for functional, cooling purposes. I suppose one could call that a grille opening, that doesn't seem to be a point of contention for anyone.

What concerned many (including myself) was purely the shape of the front bumper cap. Specifically, the blunted upturned nose of the cap that didn't seem to go with the rest of the car's design language.

Reactions: tga
It struck me as a bit strange when I first saw it, but I am good with it, if it remains. My priorities are aerodynamics (WITH license plate) first, appearance a distant second. I do hope they are doing wind tunnel tests with both American and European license plates.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: AlanSqB
If I wanted a Boxster, I'd buy a Boxster. Leave it alone. It looks great.

I'm sure the engineers at Tesla have access to a damn wind tunnel. They certainly have access to a computer with CFD software. Anyone who says the front is not aerodynamic needs to show me a fluid model that proves it before I'll believe you over the highly paid designers who are highly paid to do this. My ASSumption is that the front creates some sort of an aero split that helps with downforce.

its odd that so many posts have been made about the nose, but not even 3% said it will affect their buying decision.
If I wanted a car with a grill, I'd get one that had a tail pipe that the grill implies you need :)

Isn't quite the same. Those lines are more rounded and the "snub" doesn't stick out from the rest of the front end, it IS the front end.

Of course it is not exactly the same. The point remains. What you think aerodynamic looks like, probably isn't correct.

Tesla is aiming for 0.21, so it is very unlikely their front is a non-aerodynamic affectation.

You can dislike how the front end looks, but really no one here is likely qualified to determine that it isn't aerodynamic just by looking at it. It almost certain that everyones Photoshop "improvements" would likely make it worse.