Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How do you feel about Grill-less front end styling?

How do you feel about current Model 3 Front Grill?

• It's fine, don't change it.

Votes: 243 70.4%
  • It's tolerable (I would still buy), but prefer change

Votes: 89 25.8%
  • It's intolerable, if it doesn't change, I would not buy a Model 3

Votes: 13 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course it is not exactly the same. The point remains. What you think aerodynamic looks like, probably isn't correct.

Tesla is aiming for 0.21, so it is very unlikely their front is a non-aerodynamic affectation.

You can dislike how the front end looks, but really no one here is likely qualified to determine that it isn't aerodynamic just by looking at it. It almost certain that everyones Photoshop "improvements" would likely make it worse.
The .21 is most certainly coming from its overall footprint compared to the S. It's a smaller vehicle with similar proportions; it will be more aerodynamic. You'll notice that the car you posted is tiny and has a VERY small drag area. I would speculate the front is the shape it is to fit the engine and maintain aerodynamics the best it can. Notice how thin it is. Shape is important, but it will only get you so far. The less object there is, the better.

But onto the shape: simple flow experiments show what a flat surface does to fluid flow. Turbulence!

2D-flow-around-a-rectangle2_xl-1024x373.jpg

All that *sugar* on the sides is not good for aerodynamics. The snub nose is essentially a rectangle creating that effect on top of the hood.

CylinderImage.jpg

Much nicer on the sides. The only reason I can think of for the snub would be to direct flow to the sides of the car, but I'm not sure why you would want to purposefully create turbulence on the largest surface area of the vehicle and instead focus flow on the much less aerodynamic sides (tires, wheel wells, doors, etc.).

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know *sugar* about aerodynamics beyond a couple aerospace classes in university, but generally speaking, flat surfaces normal to flow are bad. I would love for somebody to correct me though and tell me why going against conventional aerodynamic engineering with the snub makes sense. Seriously, I'm very curious.

Now, in actuality, the snub probably doesn't change the aerodynamics too much because the overall frontal area and good aerodynamics elsewhere is more important (going back to that smaller footprint), but it will only hurt the drag coefficient. I'd wager it's sitting pretty at .22 or .23 now. We're probably gonna get .22 in the end.

I have a feeling the snub was an extreme design done to gauge interest and see the reaction of something so completely different to what we're used to. Notice how Tesla didn't reveal any drag numbers. Hell, they didn't talk about aerodynamics at all! Seems strange, considering the importance. All we got was Elon's cryptic "hopefully .21" tweet, which suggests that the nose will be changing to make the car more aerodynamic. The rest of the car is rock solid, aerodynamic-wise. Not sure how you can improve on that. Even the rear spoiler shape is particularly aggressive compared to the S and X.

• Disagree
Reactions: hobbes and Justmurr
The .21 is most certainly coming from its overall footprint compared to the S. It's a smaller vehicle with similar proportions; it will be more aerodynamic.

Size has nothing to do with the coefficient of drag. Which is what the .21 refers to. If they achieve .21 it will be from the shape, not the size.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know *sugar* about aerodynamics beyond a couple aerospace classes in university, but generally speaking, flat surfaces normal to flow are bad.

So why do you think you are qualified to second guess the engineers/scientist working at Tesla. Maybe you would like to school SpaceX work on rocket recovery?

Also the front is NOT flat. It is blunt. There is a difference, there i s a gentle curve to the front end.

tesla-model3-2.jpg

Here is the ideal aerodynamic shape. Note the front isn't pointy or wedged. It's blunt.
AerodynamicTeardrop_zps2dc1c905.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hobbes
There are lot of people posting alternate grill designs. I would like to get a view of how many people really don't like it.

I think it is just something new and distinct. Tesla should stick with it, and eventually it could be as iconic as the Porsche 911 front end. They definitely shouldn't use a fake grill IMO.

Strange design. Maybe they thought the platypus look would appeal to the Australian market? :)

Glad to see the pros winning this pole. I wasn't impressed by it initially but by the end of the reveal I had already started warming up to it. I'd hate to pay a couple hundred for a fake grill that has no purpose just for the sake of having a passing resemblance to ICE cars.

Embrace the future brah!!!

Reactions: hoang51
I am okay with the front as long as whatever design they end up gives the best aerodynamic efficiency.

I do not want a fake grill or anything. Clean and minimal as possible please.

Other than that, it's a great looking car for the similar priced Chevy Bolt.

Refreshing or Revolting: Tesla Model 3

Why would Motor Trend publish such an article if the M3 styling was clearly a home run?
Perhaps it's blunt nose is out of place in cutting edge design and aerodynamics. It is unique, but will the mass market leave their ICE cars for a unique look, if they have to rationalize the design and "warm up to it". The mass market may not be as forgiving as the tech and EV enthusiast who have laid their money down sight unseen.

Perhaps the nose is set up to create just a little bit of turbulence. It could be that they're doing this intentionally to cut down on wind noise or some drag on a part of the car that can't be changed.

Anyway, somebody should probably start another thread on it because it's been like 3 hours since the last new one.

Anyway, somebody should probably start another thread on it because it's been like 3 hours since the last new one.

This isn't a duplicate, there are threads going on about how terrible the front end is, but I wanted to get some sense whether there was a real issue, or just the usual internet vocal minority that will complain about everything.

It definitely looks like the vocal minority of complainers and not a real problem.

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare
This isn't a duplicate, there are threads going on about how terrible the front end is, but I wanted to get some sense whether there was a real issue, or just the usual internet vocal minority that will complain about everything.

It definitely looks like the vocal minority of complainers and not a real problem.
Your conclusion isn't valid. There are two issues that people have brought up: (1) the lack of a grille, and (2) the general shape of the front end. They are related, but different issues.

Your poll only asks about #1. 3/4 of the respondents don't want a grille. That doesn't mean 3/4 of them like the shape of the front end. I think a grille is stupid. That doesn't mean I'm enamored with the shape of the front end.

Plus, TBH, the opinions of a bunch of hard core Tesla fans don't really matter. We'll all probably buy anyway. What matters is does it appeal to the general public (ie, will it maximize sales).

Reactions: boiler81
Your conclusion isn't valid. There are two issues that people have brought up: (1) the lack of a grille, and (2) the general shape of the front end. They are related, but different issues.

Your poll only asks about #1.

Not it doesn't. It ask how you feel about the current, grill-less front end, and if you want to change it, or keep it the same.

In no way does that imply the only change I am talking about is sticking on a fake grill. It also includes attempts to reshape it, and I think most people get that. I am sure you got it enough to vote for change.