Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Is the 3 the best car you can get for 48,000?

Do you think the 3 is the best car available at this price?

• Yes

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the initial Model 3 offering may not be the best configuration of the car for many, when you can swap out PUP for Autopilot, and add dual motor, the 3 is a tremendous value for low $50K long range, for low $40K SR. What’s more, with typical annual miles driven, you’ll save $500-1,000 per year using electricity rather than gas.

The massive improvement that has shown up on the S/X for Autopilot this past weekend (and will shortly come to the Model 3) just made the car substantially stronger for anyone who values this kind of driver assist/safety feature.

Reactions: Pkmmte
If you're comparing it to an ICE, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

The routine maintenance on an EV is significantly lower over the lifetime of the car after you take out oil changes, lower the frequency of brake work, etc.

That's true for most EVs but not Teslas. Tesla annual maintenance is expensive and there are lots and lots of parts to break. My 4 year old LEAF is a champ (YMMV). I've spent 25x as much on my 15 month old Tesla (one annual service) as with my LEAF.

The fuel savings are consumed by the insurance premiums.

Those claiming yes based on what?
I love my model S but I am not going to blindly pretend anything Tesla is the best car for the money.
Pricing is high, deliveries late, quality nothing spectacular etc.
I love electric power delivery I think it is the future, but we are still paying a premium for R&D and gimmicky features.

Last edited:
Mine was $59k before taxes and such, but with my requirements and preferences, there's no better car below $100k (though I may come to regret buying FSD… we'll see).

I wouldn't take a Model 3 without the premium package or without Autopilot. I could commute in the SR version but wouldn't want it to be my only car.

"Best" is one of those things that is highly specific to the individual, really. There are other cars that are better at specific things, but overall, I think it's the "best" car under $100k as mentioned, at least for me.

If you're comparing it to an ICE, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

The routine maintenance on an EV is significantly lower over the lifetime of the car after you take out oil changes, lower the frequency of brake work, etc.

An EV is a luxury drivetrain, and Tesla makes excellent drivetrains. That is worth a lot. But only if you know how much better EVs are than ICE options. Most folk have never been in one, much less driven an EV.

It really depends on ones goals, etc. It is expensive due to the current cost of an EV powertrain.

It would increase the time for long road trips over an ICE car. But, it can do long road trips.

It is great for around town, starting w/ a full battery every morning. It wouldn't be as great if you couldn't charge at home.

It does have EV emissions... zero at the tailpipe. That matters for some and not for others.

I'm planning on purchasing one when my current car (Acura TL) dies. It will look nice next to the S in the garage.

But it is probably not the best car for everyone. There is probably no best car for everyone.

The fuel savings are consumed by the insurance premiums.

Those claiming yes based on what?
I love my model S but I am not going to blindly pretend anything Tesla is the best car for the money.
Pricing is high, deliveries late, quality nothing spectacular etc.
I love electric power delivery I think it is the future, but we are still paying a premium for R&D and gimmicky features.

A) My insurance costs no more than any other car of its cost.
B) Based on driving the car for five weeks, and having test driven many competitors.
He didn't ask if the car was perfect. He asked if the Model 3 was the best car you can get for $48k. In my opinion, it is.

Reactions: DR61 and croman