TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll: Is the 3 the best car you can get for 48,000?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by steven415, Mar 20, 2018.

?

Do you think the 3 is the best car available at this price?

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Not sure

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. steven415

steven415 Member

Let's be honest, what do you all think?

2. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

For me, the Model 3LR will cost ~$60,500 (paint, ACC/safety, tax) if no rebates exist, or $50k with Fed+Cal+SCE rebates.

3. SteveG3

SteveG3 Supporting Member

While the initial Model 3 offering may not be the best configuration of the car for many, when you can swap out PUP for Autopilot, and add dual motor, the 3 is a tremendous value for low $50K long range, for low $40K SR. What’s more, with typical annual miles driven, you’ll save $500-1,000 per year using electricity rather than gas.

The massive improvement that has shown up on the S/X for Autopilot this past weekend (and will shortly come to the Model 3) just made the car substantially stronger for anyone who values this kind of driver assist/safety feature.

• Like x 1
  4. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Well, it's the best car I've driven period, so... sure? :)

5. Dave B

Dave B Member

If you're comparing it to an ICE, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

The routine maintenance on an EV is significantly lower over the lifetime of the car after you take out oil changes, lower the frequency of brake work, etc.

• Like x 1
  6. croman

croman Active Member

That's true for most EVs but not Teslas. Tesla annual maintenance is expensive and there are lots and lots of parts to break. My 4 year old LEAF is a champ (YMMV). I've spent 25x as much on my 15 month old Tesla (one annual service) as with my LEAF.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

#7 SSedan, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    The fuel savings are consumed by the insurance premiums.

Those claiming yes based on what?
    I love my model S but I am not going to blindly pretend anything Tesla is the best car for the money.
    Pricing is high, deliveries late, quality nothing spectacular etc.
    I love electric power delivery I think it is the future, but we are still paying a premium for R&D and gimmicky features.

8. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Mine was $59k before taxes and such, but with my requirements and preferences, there's no better car below $100k (though I may come to regret buying FSD… we'll see).

I wouldn't take a Model 3 without the premium package or without Autopilot. I could commute in the SR version but wouldn't want it to be my only car.

"Best" is one of those things that is highly specific to the individual, really. There are other cars that are better at specific things, but overall, I think it's the "best" car under $100k as mentioned, at least for me.

9. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

An EV is a luxury drivetrain, and Tesla makes excellent drivetrains. That is worth a lot. But only if you know how much better EVs are than ICE options. Most folk have never been in one, much less driven an EV.

10. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

It really depends on ones goals, etc. It is expensive due to the current cost of an EV powertrain.

It would increase the time for long road trips over an ICE car. But, it can do long road trips.

It is great for around town, starting w/ a full battery every morning. It wouldn't be as great if you couldn't charge at home.

It does have EV emissions... zero at the tailpipe. That matters for some and not for others.

I'm planning on purchasing one when my current car (Acura TL) dies. It will look nice next to the S in the garage.

But it is probably not the best car for everyone. There is probably no best car for everyone.

11. croman

croman Active Member

My S costs as much as my LEAF (LEAF is worth like $8k now!) to insure, so I'm not sure that's a statement you can make universal.

• Helpful x 1
  12. Zythryn

Zythryn Model Y custom Warming Stripes wrap.

A) My insurance costs no more than any other car of its cost.
    B) Based on driving the car for five weeks, and having test driven many competitors.
    He didn't ask if the car was perfect. He asked if the Model 3 was the best car you can get for $48k. In my opinion, it is.

• Like x 2