Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure it’s been covered. There’s been good and bad news. Cars in China have received an update that brought back network status icon and driver profile to the surface. Bad news is missing seat heater, defroster. Whats the harm for just giving us the ability to customize it the way each one prefers?

PS: I never use auto option for climate control in any car I’ve driven. I find it always too aggressive on fan speeds that makes too much noise I do not like.

Not sure it’s been covered. There’s been good and bad news. Cars in China have received an update that brought back network status icon and driver profile to the surface. Bad news is missing seat heater, defroster. Whats the harm for just giving us the ability to customize it the way each one prefers?

PS: I never use auto option for climate control in any car I’ve driven. I find it always too aggressive on fan speeds that makes too much noise I do not like.

My guess is those are a bit harder to fix and get right. You need an icon, plus a way for the state of the icon to be updated dynamically. And maybe a way for pressing the icon to pop a small card up above it. Probably not super difficult but more complicated then what’s currently done .

Reactions: PianoAl and Boza
My guess is those are a bit harder to fix and get right. You need an icon, plus a way for the state of the icon to be updated dynamically. And maybe a way for pressing the icon to pop a small card up above it. Probably not super difficult but more complicated then what’s currently done .
Is that more difficult to implement or to port Sonic The Hedgehog?

Here is my wish list
  1. Add defrost, heat seater, and wiper icons to the main screen icon by adding them to the customizable App Launcher
  2. Please bring back the unified music favorites. Perhaps put stream, radio, and Spotify as sub-menu under the music icon. (Just like V10). I just need to see all my favorites in one spot.
  3. Get rid of the last used icons. (Taking valuable space). Allow us to have two more pinned icons.
  4. Dual passenger temperature controls are a waste of valuable space. V10‘s single temperature was working fine. Maybe add two more pinned icons instead of passenger temp.
  5. Move the blind-spot cam to the map area. I recommend placing the right blind spot on the right side of the screen and the left blind spot on the left side of the screen. Just use the same location where the backup camera and side views appear. It will make it easy for me to figure out which view I am looking at.
  6. Put the supercharging station icon or pin on the map.
  7. Put the driver profile and dashcam icon on the main screen. Four people are using my M3 and need to know which profile. Sometimes I need to record dashcam quickly without honking. No time to go to control setting
  8. Put the estimated battery capacity and round trip capacity on the navigation view. It is now at the bottom of the overview (I often use this to plan for charging when I am traveling a long distance.)
  9. Put the navigation view button back.
  10. Make the speedometer bigger and bold. And make fonts bigger. Old people also drive Tesla
  11. Put the autopilot icon next to the cruise control
  12. Use the standard blue color for on and off. I.e. seat warmer auto on/off is confusing
  13. Please give us an option to switch the map view and the speedometer view. I want to place the map view to the left and the speedometer view to the right. My right hand is always blocking the blind spot view.
  14. Waze app?
Totally agree. In terms of importance, to me n° 8 and n° 6 are respectively n° 1 and 2

Reactions: Boza
Yes, I've thought the same thing, but on second thought, changing the state of the icon should be easy. If they can't fit the bacon strips on the seat heater icon, they could go to color coding. The defrost icons could use the gray/blue/red coding.

Yes, I've thought the same thing, but on second thought, changing the state of the icon should be easy. If they can't fit the bacon strips on the seat heater icon, they could go to color coding. The defrost icons could use the gray/blue/red coding.
We don’t know the state of their code (it would be very interesting to get our hands on it :) ) so we cannot really judge how easy/hard would be to do something. Subjectively, looking at the UI, I would expect somewhat messy code base.
However, I agree with @Sporty on the judgement call. If something is not ready then someone should have hit the red button.

, looking at the UI, I would expect somewhat messy code base.
LOL. Here's my guess: they have somebody the best coders in the world (that's gotta be true, right? Who wouldn't want to be on that team?), but the programmers were overridden by a non-interface-design person. Like someone in marketing.

It's a puzzle. There are brilliant difficult things (self driving) and dumb easy things (off-peak charging scheduling).

Reactions: Sporty
LOL. Here's my guess: they have somebody the best coders in the world (that's gotta be true, right? Who wouldn't want to be on that team?), but the programmers were overridden by a non-interface-design person. Like someone in marketing.

It's a puzzle. There are brilliant difficult things (self driving) and dumb easy things (off-peak charging scheduling).
Elon is (was anyway) known to spontaneously stay up all night re-writing whole chunks of code, if he thinks someone is doing it wrong and won't change their strategy. Often paired with said someone being fired or quitting in disgust.

That can't be good for the code base.

In about 2018 ish I talked to a former pre-paypal boss* of his once, and he said Elon, while a brilliant coder, has absolutely zero regard for any otherwise universally accepted norms in writing code. Sometimes it leads to brilliant solutions, and sometimes it leads to entire teams quitting or being fired.

Just sayin.

*boss: even then, no one told Elon what to do. His main task as boss was to arrive early enough to wake him up and beg him to go home and get some sleep, after pulling one or more all nighters.

This is part of why I have extreme respect for him and what he's done, but also zero respect for all his silly noises about crypto, Mars, Canadian Truckers, input=error, whatever.

Fair point. However, god know what kind of spaghetti code they pushed out in order to hit the deadline. It might have been easier to fix things in V10; I somehow expect V11 to be quite unstable for a while.

Last year I learned to not install updates without first reading about their UI changes and bugs. I'm holding off installing V11.

My issue is driving safety: readability of key information like the speedometer and access to key controls like wipers, headlights, and defrosters when the auto features don't cut it, in a moving car, with minimal eyes off the road. (I know, voice commands occasionally help.) V11 still doesn't fix the small, low contrast text or the small map, and it takes more steps to override the auto-profile selection when the car picks wrong and starts to squish you.

Plusses: Blind spot cameras and waypoint editing, direct access to audio sources, and (I think) some larger tap targets.
I agree that, on first blush, v. 11 is not a viable upgrade (with the exception of blind spot monitoring). That being said, and if I choose not to upgrade, what are the downsides?

Which basically says Tesla DID hear the complaints (despite the gnashing of teeth that it would never happen), and I suspect we will continue to get tweaks to sort out the mess ... and going forward I suspect they will be lis cavalier about big UI changes. I still think the V11 smells of some young UI "expert" in Tesla wanting to make a name for himself (which he did, but not in the way he intended).

I think your answers to the poll are too specific. None of the choices really captures my feelings about V.11. To me it is a mixed bag. There are some improvements, but some negatives as well. The blind spot video is really the only thing that makes this an improvement (in my opinion), however the execution is poor. When the video is on, it overrides the homelink button. So when I turn into my driveway with the turn signal on, I cannot press the homelink button until the video goes away on the screen. I guess I could just not signal. I have also heard that the side turn signal light floods the camera at night and the blind spot video is not very helpful. I have not yet tested this.

AH yeah.. as someone said.. people leave brands over crap like this. Great tech and stupid menus. This was not an "improvement". An improvement would have been to hire some UX engineers and put some thought into the menus and how people use them. This is not a desk top computer.. I should not have to take my eyes off the road to go digging through submenus to find anything of importance. Then again, I am still a big believer in analog knobs for some controls. This complex of a meaning system should be user configurable to a degree. Something as simple as "here are 4 sizes and two locations for the speed". The lack of contrast on key data is appalling and I can tell its been designed by a 20 something and not someone with glasses and over 50.
Yes, SteelClouds, that was my first "WTF" reaction to the touchscreen after the update. Not an improvement, more confusing, requiring more "eyes off the road" to fumble with the touch commands.