Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Reassuring”? The question I would ask is whether it is “useful”. My own take on that is generally no. The only time that it is useful for me is providing information on proximity when I am parking. I’d be happy if the visualization were limited to being a pop-up display for that situation.

It also provides blind spot visualizations, lane change visualizations, pathing visualizations, status of AP vs NoA, Nav directions when your map is covered by another app, various safety messages, etc...

And since you can't remove either the top area there with speed, gear, etc indicators-- nor the bottom area with safety warnings-- what would you put there instead of the visualization given you have to leave the top/bottom areas anyway?

Reactions: jebinc
The #1 customization ability that I would like to have is an ability to get rid of the car visualization that takes up a good deal of the most prominent part of the screen - or to set the visualization to appear only in certain situations - and to replace that screen space with useful features and controls.
Agree. Some aspects of a visualizer are useful but it doesn't need to be as fancy nor as big. Just show things like basic blind spot indicators, TACC following distance and distance to vehicle ahead etc.

Surprisingly I think Hyundai actually got this right (see attachment) - something like that could take up much less space, leaving room for a configurable control panel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 9.24.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 9.24.17 AM.png
    871 KB · Views: 65
The #1 customization ability that I would like to have is an ability to get rid of the car visualization that takes up a good deal of the most prominent part of the screen - or to set the visualization to appear only in certain situations - and to replace that screen space with useful features and controls.
The visualization is one of my favorite features and I would never want to remove it from my Model Y. I think it shows so much of what makes a Tesla so special, that is, the car's awareness of its environment. I agree it doesn't help the driver to control stuff though. An option might be nice.

Reactions: jebinc
The visualization is one of my favorite features and I would never want to remove it from my Model Y. I think it shows so much of what makes a Tesla so special, that is, the car's awareness of its environment. I agree it doesn't help the driver to control stuff though. An option might be nice.

It seemed really cool to me at first, but eventually I came to realize that it's just a gimmick. It's not event very accurate.

Vehicles disappear and reappear, cars turn into trucks, road lines jiggle endlessly, people appear that aren't there (ghosts? LOL).

That said, I'd still leave the visualization there. I feel strongly about the controls being along the bottom. It's the most convenient position for hand placement while needing the least amount of "eyes off the road".

It seemed really cool to me at first, but eventually I came to realize that it's just a gimmick. It's not event very accurate.

Vehicles disappear and reappear, cars turn into trucks, road lines jiggle endlessly, people appear that aren't there (ghosts? LOL).

That said, I'd still leave the visualization there. I feel strongly about the controls being along the bottom. It's the most convenient position for hand placement while needing the least amount of "eyes off the road".
Agreed. They could easily move other information up to the top of the left side of the screen, though. Navigation directions for example - they put them at the bottom where they are either blocked by your hand/arm or covers up by other notifications.

It's not meant to be a picture of reality (like a 3D view feature), it's a view into how the car's AI perceives it's environment. (at least I assume it is). I think the vehicles appearing and disappearing and the wiggling of the roads is because this is precisely how the car "sees" them. They are all probabilistic I assume, and when predicted positions don't match new data they are adjusted dynamically. That's why a truck morphs into a buss. Sometime there is a ghost person crossing the street, No wait! he's not really there. I think that just shows the system struggling to identify objects in its environment, which is part of why I find it so interesting. Why else would they display wiggling blue road lines? They could just low pass filter the display. I like to see it working to figure things out.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
It's not meant to be a picture of reality (like a 3D view feature), it's a view into how the car's AI perceives it's environment. (at least I assume it is). I think the vehicles appearing and disappearing and the wiggling of the roads is because this is precisely how the car "sees" them. They are all probabilistic I assume, and when predicted positions don't match new data they are adjusted dynamically. That's why a truck morphs into a buss. Sometime there is a ghost person crossing the street, No wait! he's not really there. I think that just shows the system struggling to identify objects in its environment, which is part of why I find it so interesting. Why else would they display wiggling blue road lines? They could just low pass filter the display. I like to see it working to figure things out.
What you say may well be correct and I have no problem with the visualization being kept for people who like to look at it, for whatever reason. What I am asking is for the optional ability, via customization, to turn off the visualization (with the potential sub-option of keeping it as a pop-up in parking situations) and to replace it with other customizable displays and controls in that very prominent part of the screen. Doing that would open up many possibilities for the Tesla interface.

Agreed. Customization is probably the best way. 100% for that!

In fact, I'd like to have multiple "desktops" so each driver could have everything he wants where he wants to see it.
However there needs to be a standard desktop option a driver can default to if he is unfamiliar with the vehicle in order to be safe. (In case someone decides to hide the speedometer and the headlights for example)

Last edited:
Even with customization, I would imagine that there would be some things that would be 'fixed' in place - with the speedometer being a notable example. I understand though that some people would like the option to make the speedometer numeral display a bit bigger, which would be fine.
no, next update will remove the speedometer to give easy access to the fart noise app!

“What’s my speed?”
"Autopilot adjusted to 30 meters/second"

Seriously, yesterday as the car was powering on, it picked up my BIL outside the car saying "Oh no, Grandma's cold!" (correctly parsed, apparently)

and it responded "Climate set 3° colder"

I have no idea how it interpreted that. Yeah, voice commands are the best thing ever.

I think the vehicles appearing and disappearing and the wiggling of the roads is because this is precisely how the car "sees" them.

I agree. It's implied, because certainly they didn't introduce these defects intentionally.

These visual anomalies just prove how janky it all is. Would the car swerve you off the road to avoid a non-existent human that it seems there?

Probably it would just "stop driving" and leave you in control, perhaps to be rear ended. With a real human there, it'd probably do the same... leaving you to run the person over yourself.

All I'm saying is that it's more of a gimmick, and there are likely more useful things that could go there. The buttons need to be along the bottom though... so I'm not totally sold on ditching the visualization.

Reactions: lensovet
“Reassuring”? The question I would ask is whether it is “useful”. My own take on that is generally no. The only time that it is useful for me is providing information on proximity when I am parking. I’d be happy if the visualization were limited to being a pop-up display for that situation.
I use the visualization all the time while driving to see the other cars around me when changing lanes. Mirrors and turning my head are still primary but the visualizer is an exceptional safety addition that when you learn how to incorporate into your driving is very useful.

I would like to see the visualization expanded to include behind me - a full 360 degree overview.

I use the visualization all the time while driving to see the other cars around me when changing lanes. Mirrors and turning my head are still primary but the visualizer is an exceptional safety addition that when you learn how to incorporate into your driving is very useful.

I would like to see the visualization expanded to include behind me - a full 360 degree overview.
Agreed. I would go so far as to say that only behind is necessary. A top-down view of the back half of the car extending fairly far back so you can see what's in your blind spots and behind you would be excellent. I don't care what the car sees in front since I can already see that.

Agreed. I would go so far as to say that only behind is necessary. A top-down view of the back half of the car extending fairly far back so you can see what's in your blind spots and behind you would be excellent. I don't care what the car sees in front since I can already see that.

Does it actually have that view though? It seems like cars near the blind spots are the ones most likely to blip in and out of existence on the visualization.

Reactions: lensovet