Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Stalks; or haptic wheel buttons and on screen ‘shifting’

Primary controls?

• Physical

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Haptic

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me the reason Tesla has been removing buttons and stalks in favor of screen controls is in preparation for full autonomous driving. If/when the car can truly drive itself, who needs stalks and buttons?
Correct and who needs $100k car if it is going to drive you? The idea of a $100k is that you love to drive it. Lot's of people just settling here or justifying their purchase. Also, who knows when/if self driving will be legal?

It seems to me the reason Tesla has been removing buttons and stalks in favor of screen controls is in preparation for full autonomous driving. If/when the car can truly drive itself, who needs stalks and buttons?
He is fine, thank you. When you said that you do not see any downside to screen shifting it is because thankfully you did not need to manuever the car in a close situation. He said he had to take his eyes off the road to make the 3 pt turn. Where as if he had a stalk, that doesn't come into play. Also the horn, if you are turning the yoke and need the horn, it is very difficult to hit it. My point is in emergency situations the new controls are awful. There is minimal or no upside with a lot of downside. None of their wives will attempt to drive their cars. In Florida by me there are a ton of Model S that women drive, I do not see any of them ever buying another one with the yoke. It's very dissapointing to me because I want the S but can not justify settling for a $100k car.
I see. Yes, you are correct, we disagree. There are a lot of assumptions and biases baked into your response, and that's fine if it works for you. It is important to understand though that you do not know what types of driving situations I've been in. I have over 13,000 miles on my Plaid and live in Los Angeles, so I have had many experiences. Perhaps some more, perhaps some less dangerous than what your friend has described to you. However you're friend's experience belongs to your friend, they are not data, they are an experience. Just as my experience is just mine, nothing more.

And if you like I can go on about women I know with a new, refreshed LR or Plaid. It's a shame the new S doesn't fit your needs, I find it to be a fantastic car. Not a perfect car, but a fantastic car. But again, that's solely my own opinion.

Correct and who needs $100k car if it is going to drive you? The idea of a $100k is that you love to drive it. Lot's of people just settling here or justifying their purchase. Also, who knows when/if self driving will be legal?
Or, we enjoy driving the car. Because you do not, does not mean I do not enjoy driving it. I've taken my Plaid to Laguna Seca, the drags, etc. and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. That seems to be how you define "enjoy" when relating to a vehicle. I would argue there are other definitions.

Reactions: JADCa
Or, we enjoy driving the car. Because you do not, does not mean I do not enjoy driving it. I've taken my Plaid to Laguna Seca, the drags, etc. and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. That seems to be how you define "enjoy" when relating to a vehicle. I would argue there are other definitions.
Not arguing here. I’m hoping to get the car and be able to modify it. There isn’t another brand I want to buy.

I enjoy driving the car on a nice road. I do not enjoy driving in stop and go traffic. FSD does not prevent you from driving, it just gives you an option when you don't want to drive. I sold my 911, not because of how it drove, but because it was an incredibly rare day (about 200 miles per year) that I could enjoy how it drove. Most of the time it was actually not as fun as the Teslas.

I still have a 911 for my dedicated track car, it that setting, the 911 is better to drive than the Tesla. Just not on the street.