Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would expect any car to vibrate during a 9.2 quarter mile.

I have had an older loaner X that vibrated just driving around and I agree it’s annoying.

Whatever the issue(s) may be, not all cars are affected. No hint in my Aug ‘21 build at any speed or throttle position
I don't even mean under hard acceleration. I mean under more moderate acceleration. I'm still so curious as to your car's no vibration (supposedly). If only you lived closer!

I don't even mean under hard acceleration. I mean under more moderate acceleration. I'm still so curious as to your car's no vibration (supposedly). If only you lived closer!
I’m the same here. I can’t get mine to vibrate on any surface or acceleration. Not complaining of course. June 2021 build. Wish I could help you guys figure out what the difference in our cars is.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
I’m the same here. I can’t get mine to vibrate on any surface or acceleration. Not complaining of course. June 2021 build. Wish I could help you guys figure out what the difference in our cars is.
I'm going to be the guy who says the difference is you just don't notice it. 😅

Other than that, I've no idea. I've never driven a new S without vibration, and I've driven quite a few.

Other than that, I've no idea. I've never driven a new S without vibration, and I've driven quite a few.

I disagree. I drove a '22 LR Model S with more miles than my Plaid (~10k miles) and it really did not have the vibration. I tried and tried to get it to do it. Even raising the suspension, etc. I'm really familiar with the vibration from my car, so I am pretty sure I should be able to replicate it.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG

I thought that might be the case early on but I'm also very sensitive to that. Definitely not there on my car. I tried many different ways to produce the vibration but no luck.

I have a brand new Plaid, vibration came up almost immediately, now the SEC told me these half shafts need to be replaced.
First time I felt it was under my right foot on the pedal, then it became more and more noticeable.
My car has done less than 1500 kms (less than 1000 miles)

My old P90D had repairs as well but also that one, I have two MS cars, had issues (vibrations) for half the the milage.

Now that old car history makes me wonder what Tesla is doing to resolve these issues.

They stated the first replacement for my P90D was warrantee, the second set went in cheaper.
But now, Tesla not having resolved their issues with half shafts I would like to hear how Tesla treats you drivers of the Plaid.

Have they been fair, for me it is very unpleasant to have half shafts replaced in a new car, no stock here in the Netherlands so I have to continue driving with bad shafts.

That leads to a second question, I feel driving with vibrating shafts causes damage to other components each side of these shafts, can someone tell me whether there was additional damage to other parts?
It is sad the front has not been redesigned properly to eliminate these issues, the problems just migrated into the Plaid.

Know, I still love my cars, that is likely the reason they can get away with our mutual issues…

Thanks

I have a brand new Plaid, vibration came up almost immediately, now the SEC told me these half shafts need to be replaced.
First time I felt it was under my right foot on the pedal, then it became more and more noticeable.

My old P90D had repairs as well but also that one, I have two MS cars, had issues (vibrations) for half the the milage.

Now that old car history makes me wonder what Tesla is doing to resolve these issues.

They stated the first replacement for my P90D was warrantee, the second set went in cheaper.
But now, Tesla not having resolved their issues with half shafts I would like to hear how Tesla treats you drivers of the Plaid.

Have they been fair, for me it is very unpleasant to have half shafts replaced in a new car, no stock here in the Netherlands so I have to continue driving with bad shafts.

That leads to a second question, I feel driving with vibrating shafts causes damage to other components each side of these shafts, can someone tell me whether there was additional damage to other parts?
It is sad the front has not been redesigned properly to eliminate these issues, the problems just migrated into the Plaid.

Know, I still love my cars, that is likely the reason they can get away with our mutual issues…

Thanks
There’s no fix for the vibration at this time.

Thanks
Yes, unfortunately there's no fix yet. They are going to install a prototype new half shaft in my car in two weeks. We'll see if that solves it.

The other solution to the vibration is to lower your car about 0.75" using lowering links. That seems to eliminate almost all of the vibration. Or drive around in track mode all the time with the torque biased 100% to the rear. That eliminates the vibration as well, but isn't very practical. :)

good luck, i have 2 and both vibrate one worse than the other. last time i'll be buying a tesla that is for sure

So bummed to hear this. I really want to get a Plaid. Its obviously something in the front drive train, half shaft angle, part tolerance, something. Its not in all cars and its consistent in those effected, so this is very identifiable and fixable. Come on guys...Tesla...lets fix this. If it takes a class action, then so be it. Or how about we band together and pay Sandy and Cory to diagnose the problem and propose a fix?

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
So bummed to hear this. I really want to get a Plaid. Its obviously something in the front drive train, half shaft angle, part tolerance, something. Its not in all cars and its consistent in those effected, so this is very identifiable and fixable. Come on guys...Tesla...lets fix this. If it takes a class action, then so be it. Or how about we band together and pay Sandy and Cory to diagnose the problem and propose a fix?
My service appointment got pushed back due to other parts availability. But, early April I hope to be able to report back on the results from the new half shaft design/ spec.

Reactions: Dayreg and josahua

Only way they will resolve this after almost 3 years of production since the car was released is Class Action.

Nothing else will force Tesla to address the issue. Get it started and I'll be the first to sign up.

I took delivery of a 2023 Plaid (built in January) in St. Louis last Friday and drove back to Iowa on Sunday. I definitely have the vibration at low speeds and occasionally at highway speed as well.
Welcome to TMC. Sorry to see that someone decided to thumbs down your first post. That makes no sense since you are simply posting facts about your car.

Be sure to keep reporting the vibration to Tesla service and documenting it. It seems there is no fix right now but establishing that you have the problem may be helpful later. Good luck.

I took delivery of a 2023 Plaid (built in January) in St. Louis last Friday and drove back to Iowa on Sunday. I definitely have the vibration at low speeds and occasionally at highway speed as well.

How many miles were on the car when you took delivery?

It would interesting to have data on how many "full throttle" pulls everyone has done as well as whether or not they have the vibration. Good chance there is a correlation. If you own a Plaid, you are pretty much obligated to do a full send with every new person that rides with you.

Reactions: Propofoln and Bull
If you have the vibration outside of 40-50 mph, you might have some unrelated issue. That would be good, since it should be fixable. If it is at all speeds, it might be a wheel imbalance.

Reactions: bhzmark
Between this and the inner tire wear camber issue it’s unbelievable Tesla hasn’t tried to fix the issue

Well, they gave me a new design set of half shafts that might fix the issue.

They seem to be unwilling to change the camber, but it can be fixed with aftermarket parts. Someone suggested the extreme negative camber might be required to meet the stability requirements. I.e. the moose test.

Reactions: bhzmark