Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add my stats to the discussion, I, too, have a pretty noticeable vibration at the start of most (but not all) of my drives. I actually feel it in the pedals more than the steering column. Seems like the first time it gets above ~20MPH; lasts till the first hard brake (e.g. a stoplight). Then it seems to magically disappear.

Not counting launches, where I'm sure the tires are fighting for their life.

I was going to give it a little time to see if it gets better or worse before I bring it up to Tesla.

To add my stats to the discussion, I, too, have a pretty noticeable vibration at the start of most (but not all) of my drives. I actually feel it in the pedals more than the steering column. Seems like the first time it gets above ~20MPH; lasts till the first hard brake (e.g. a stoplight). Then it seems to magically disappear.

I was going to give it a little time to see if it gets better or worse before I bring it up to Tesla.
Same on my new plaid. It's funny, before the vibration started at around 500 miles on the car, I noticed that I felt more "road vibrations" through the gas pedal than any other car I've driven. It was subtle, but weird at the same time. Hard to explain. This car just feels like it's just trying to hold the power back lol. It's crazy how fast this car is.

That's "normal." All 2022+ (not 2021 refresh) have this, mine included. It goes away within the first few minutes, but it's also annoying, for sure.

Checking in, same issues:

- First few kilometers of a drive the car vibrates quite a lot.
- Under slight acceleration at 70 kph, there's some vibration, and also at around 100-120 kph.
- Heavy acceleration there's quite some vibration, but it feels more like the front tires are searching for grip and skipping.

I still have winter tires mounted though, so some vibration could also be caused by the tires (I guess).

Checking in, same issues:

- First few kilometers of a drive the car vibrates quite a lot.
- Under slight acceleration at 70 kph, there's some vibration, and also at around 100-120 kph.
- Heavy acceleration there's quite some vibration, but it feels more like the front tires are searching for grip and skipping.

I still have winter tires mounted though, so some vibration could also be caused by the tires (I guess).
The first few miles feels like a more extreme ~40mph vibration. I wish I knew why the 2022+ vehicles have that issue and 2021s don’t.

2023 Model S Plaid. I have this vibration as well. It usually only persists a couple of minutes between 38-42mph after you start driving the car, then goes away.
Ah, you are lucky that it goes away. Strangely the '22+ cars have it only at the start of the drive. The '21s have it all the time. But, eventually I think you'll develop it all the time.

But, so far the fix on my car is holding. I'll report back again next week.

Reactions: xEvoLveDx
Ah, you are lucky that it goes away. Strangely the '22+ cars have it only at the start of the drive. The '21s have it all the time. But, eventually I think you'll develop it all the time.

My 22 is like that too. I can only reproduce this vibration after the car has been sitting for a few hours and the drivetrain is cold. Once the drivetrain warms up it won’t do it anymore. To me the vibration at 38-42 feels like riding on mud terrain tires but obviously a bit more subtle.

I had a chance to talk to a service advisor at a local SC and he suspects the fluid used on the drivetrain may be affecting this since the cold characteristics of the fluid may not be dampening this vibration until the fluid reaches operating temperature. It’s a reasonable explanation but I’m skeptical new or different fluid would suddenly fix the issue.

By “holding”, do you mean having the vehicle on hold mode or do you mean something else?

I have both vibrations. The start-up vibration for a few minutes is odd, but it does feel similar to the persistent vibration, but it's at lower speeds for me. I can feel the start-up vibration at around 25-35mph really easily, but that does go away after a few minutes, leaving me with just the ~37mph-50mph vibration all the time.

Reactions: xEvoLveDx

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize this issue would build up over time. I've only had mine for a little over a week, so I'll make sure to keep track of this issue.

2023 and have it the first few miles. I wonder if it is the angle of the stator to rotor? In a teardown of the motor of the plaid there is a short discussion about magic to "mask" pulsing that would be generated by straight magnets vs angular. It could just be the car doing a self learn for a few miles to smooth out the power delivery, or it could be something where cold vs hot there are large differences in tuning to make it perfectly smooth vs lumpy. It comes out as us feeling as if we are driving with big knobby tires for a few miles.

At minute 15.

Just an idea.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM
2023 and have it the first few miles. I wonder if it is the angle of the stator to rotor? In a teardown of the motor of the plaid there is a short discussion about magic to "mask" pulsing that would be generated by straight magnets vs angular. It could just be the car doing a self learn for a few miles to smooth out the power delivery, or it could be something where cold vs hot there are large differences in tuning to make it perfectly smooth vs lumpy. It comes out as us feeling as if we are driving with big knobby tires for a few miles.

At minute 15.

Just an idea.
Nobody knows why. The start-up vibration for a few minutes doesn’t happen on 2021 cars, which makes it even more peculiar.