Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• IMG_3995.jpeg
    IMG_3995.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 148
Three potential causes:

1) half shaft wear - you would feel vibration across a wide range of speed/acceleration

2) software - too much reliance on front motor at certain speeds. Can be diagnosed in track mode by adjusting distribution between front and rear drives. Software tuning can fix this.

3) Good old tire wear - tire wear at certain speeds creates vibration. New tires and balance is the fix.

All three are potentially the issue and each can contribute individually or in combination.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Three potential causes:

1) half shaft wear - you would feel vibration across a wide range of speed/acceleration

2) software - too much reliance on front motor at certain speeds. Can be diagnosed in track mode by adjusting distribution between front and rear drives. Software tuning can fix this.

3) Good old tire wear - tire wear at certain speeds creates vibration. New tires and balance is the fix.

All three are potentially the issue and each can contribute individually or in combination.

none of those are cause of my 80 mph vibration

Three potential causes:

Definitely not tire wear or wheel balance. We know this for a fact.

Reactions: evfeh and jebinc
Three potential causes:

One to add or add to....

Insufficient or wear on the front drive motor mount due to "too much reliance on the front motor...". I saw a video demonstrating this a while back but forgot to bring it forward in the post.

Reactions: jebinc
I'd find that hard to believe since replacing the half shafts in my car caused the vibration to be eliminated for a month until they took the car apart again.

Also, lowering the car causes the vibration to go away.
So after the tighter tolerance half shaft replacement, the vibration went away but came back after an additional service? I was reading all of the history of you posts but missed the moment when the vibration returned.

So after the tighter tolerance half shaft replacement, the vibration went away but came back after an additional service? I was reading all of the history of you posts but missed the moment when the vibration returned.
Oh yeah. Forgot about that half shaft replacement. Yeah, it went away for a month until they touched the front drive unit again to try and fix the squeaking suspension. Then the vibration came back and the suspension still squeaks.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that half shaft replacement. Yeah, it went away for a month until they touched the front drive unit again to try and fix the squeaking suspension. Then the vibration came back and the suspension still squeaks.
I just created an appointment with the SC; this was the response. Not sure why the should be charging for this, or how they can work around FSD junk firmware - since the SC is unable to replace (sh)it with production firmware. Asked and answered.

IMG_9442.png

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
I just created an appointment with the SC; this was the response. Not sure why the should be charging for this, or how they can work around FSD junk firmware - since the SC is unable to replace (sh)it with production firmware. Asked and answered.

View attachment 986093
Interesting that it says the service bulletin isn't applicable. Here are some details on that service bulletin:

Some model year 2021-2023 Model S Plaid and Model X Plaid vehicles running a vehicle software version earlier than 2023.44 may require a vehicle software update to address a mild vibration felt from the accelerator pedal and steering yoke/wheel that may occur during acceleration. This behavior does not affect the operation or safety of the vehicle. The software update adjusts certain motor controls during acceleration that may reduce the vehicle's rated range by up to 2 miles (3.2 km). Inspect the vehicle software version, and if necessary, update the vehicle software to version 2023.44 or later.

So, it only applies to Plaids, and it may reduce range just a little bit.

But yeah, when will the early adopter FSDb firmware get updated to V2023.44, or newer?

In a sort of related thing, the Model X note about the brake fluid level issue has been updated with FSDb version notes:

If the vehicle software version displayed does not contain the text “FSD”:
  • If the vehicle is operating with software version 2023.32.7 or later, no further action is necessary. Use correction code S012300005.
  • If the vehicle is operating with a software version earlier than 2023.32.7, update the software to version 2023.32.7 or later (refer to Service Manual procedure 00020003). Use correction code S022300005.
If the vehicle software version displayed does contain the text “FSD”:
  • If the vehicle is operating with FSD Beta software version 2023.27.7 or later, no further action is necessary. Use correction code S012300005.
  • If the vehicle is operating with an FSD Beta software version earlier than 2023.27.7, update the FSD Beta software to version 2023.27.7 or later (refer to Service Manual procedure 00020003). Use correction code S022300005

So they may make a new 2023.27.8+ FSDb version for the Plaids that include the fix.

Interesting that it says the service bulletin isn't applicable. Here are some details on that service bulletin:

So, it only applies to Plaids, and it may reduce range just a little bit.

But yeah, when will the early adopter FSDb firmware get updated to V2023.44, or newer?

In a sort of related thing, the Model X note about the brake fluid level issue has been updated with FSDb version notes:

So they may make a new 2023.27.8+ FSDb version for the Plaids that include the fix.
Woohooo!! So it’s real. I can’t wait. Maybe it’s an opt-in type thing? I wonder if we’ll have to agree to it because otherwise it’s false advertising if the range is decreased. I’ll happily take a small range hit like that to sort the issue. I’m guessing this won’t go out to all owners unless requested.

I’m in. 100% in. Never been so excited to get a software update.

Woohooo!! So it’s real. I can’t wait. Maybe it’s an opt-in type thing? I wonder if we’ll have to agree to it because otherwise it’s false advertising if the range is decreased. I’ll happily take a small range hit like that to sort the issue. I’m guessing this won’t go out to all owners unless requested.

I’m in. 100% in. Never been so excited to get a software update.
See Bigfoot is real!!!!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
My software is 2023.32.9. According to the above I need correction code S012300005. How do I use or get this correction code? Does this require an appointment, mobile perhaps?
Love the SAB Raw! I host the Abilene Chopper Madness events.

Following this thread since I too have the slight vibrations at 40 mph and just now started hearing driver side suspension squeaks and clicking.

Reactions: jebinc