Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: When will FSD V12 be in wide release?

When will FSD V12 be in wide release?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes no sense. Why would the cybertruck require V12? V12 is not an operating system, it's a new rewrite for FSD beta. The cybertruck is a vehicle, it does not require FSD beta, hence it does not require V12.
I agree with you.

Although Musk’s 6 months quote in Aug was originally thought to mean no FSD for HW4 cars for six months, that wasn’t true and obviously he instead meant no v12 for HW4 vehicles until 6 months after HW3 vehicles. So no V12 for the new truck either for six months or so after they have HW3 cars figured out on v12. Of course that assumes Musk knew what he was predicting in August🤭

v12 will be announced as released during the holiday update but will go to only a few internal testers. Real people won't get something called v12 until near the end of Q1 and it won't be earth shattering.
Here's a reminder.

End of 2021 : Elon says he wanted to release V11 with holiday update but is delayed.
8-March-2023 : V11 is finally released

So, that was a 15 month delay. If we go by the same token - we should see V12 in 2025 March or later. Afterall V12 is a bigger leap from V11 than V11 was from V10.

ps : I should note though that ... a lot of the features intended for V11 were released earlier in 10.x releases. Esp., 10.69.x

Here's a reminder.

End of 2021 : Elon says he wanted to release V11 with holiday update but is delayed.
8-March-2023 : V11 is finally released

So, that was a 15 month delay. If we go by the same token - we should see V12 in 2025 March or later. Afterall V12 is a bigger leap from V11 than V11 was from V10.

ps : I should note though that ... a lot of the features intended for V11 were released earlier in 10.x releases. Esp., 10.69.x
Elon claims some of v12 end-to-end started in 11.4.7

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
I'm still on 10.69.3.3, so my bet is definitely on >2025 since V11 isn't even in "wide-release" yet.
Looking at TeslaFi numbers, greater than 99.9% of vehicles with FSD beta software are on some 11.x. Would updating MCU1 vehicles to reach over 99.95% only then be considered wide-release for you? But yes there are also plenty of people still waiting for 11.x including those who got the camera retrofit or are outside North America, so hopefully 12.x will speed things up to be actually wide release.

Reactions: m5james and JB47394
Looking at TeslaFi numbers, greater than 99.9% of vehicles with FSD beta software are on some 11.x. Would updating MCU1 vehicles to reach over 99.95% only then be considered wide-release for you? But yes there are also plenty of people still waiting for 11.x including those who got the camera retrofit or are outside North America, so hopefully 12.x will speed things up to be actually wide release.
Damn...only 7 out of 19,271 cars are running the same software as me now??? It's been a while since I looked. I'm going for #1!

But "MCU version has no relation to FSD version...MCU HW and APE HW are completely different" Or at least that's what the Stans say.

Also, I thought there were still some late camera upgraders that still haven't received ANY form of FSD-B yet. It happened when Tesla started the FSD software recall thing a year ago. I haven't been on the forums in a while so that could be old infos.

1700404101746.png

1700404073710.png

Consider the demand for Tesla Software talent this season.

1) Dojo coming online since August. Maybe mostly implemented in October/November?
Getting massively parallel software to scale and access all the video as planned is likely very hard.

2) Version 12 FSD is a large code upgrade to Version 11. I’ve noticed FSDbeta skills dropping in the 11.4.x series. This has got to be requiring lots of parameter changes and code revisions. Then there is the simulation testing. Time consuming.

3) The Cybertruck is a new set of hardware with likely different camera sight lines. How do they impact Autopilot and FSD Version 11/12.? There is a hard deadline of November 30th for this completion.

4) Then there is the annual Christmas update. Just another complication at this time in 2023….

5) Voice commands and in vehicle Tesla AI Grok.

Lots of work, interacting schedules and the same resources as before…

Likely priority on issue 3, followed by issue 1 then issue 2 and maybe issue 4 is punted into 2024? Issue 5 is just a huge unknown.

Last edited:
Consider the demand for Tesla Software talent this season.

1) Dojo coming online since August. Maybe mostly implemented in October/November?
Getting massively parallel software to scale and access all the video as planned is likely very hard.

2) Version 12 FSD is a large code upgrade to Version 11. I’ve noticed FSDbeta skills dropping in the 11.4.x series. This has got to be requiring lots of parameter changes and code revisions. Then there is the simulation testing. Time consuming.

3) The Cybertruck is a new set of hardware with likely different camera sight lines. How do they impact Autopilot and FSD Version 11/12.? There is a hard deadline of November 30th for this completion.

4) Then there is the annual Christmas update. Just another complication at this time in 2023….

Lots of work, interacting schedules and the same resources as before…

Likely priority on issue 3, followed by issue 1 then issue 2 and maybe issue 4 is punted into 2024?
The Holiday update MUST come before the end of the year or it is NOT the holiday update. So it can't be "punted" into 2024. V12 is probably 4 to 12 months (or longer) away. We will likely get 11.4.8.x in the holiday update or maybe a 11.4.9.x but hopefully on a newer (23.44.25.x like last year) branch.

The Holiday update MUST come before the end of the year or it is NOT the holiday update. So it can't be "punted" into 2024. V12 is probably 4 to 12 months (or longer) away. We will likely get 11.4.8.x in the holiday update or maybe a 11.4.9.x but hopefully on a newer (23.44.25.x like last year) branch.
yes but it will be 🔥 🔥 🔥 🤦‍♂️ wash rinse repeatXXXXXX

Reactions: legendsk
In general Holiday update has been a general release that the beta testers get too. I think only last year there was some FSD related push to open it up to everyone.

So, I'd expect a holiday update that is a general update with a few conspicuous changes. Not really any FSD related update.

In general Holiday update has been a general release that the beta testers get too. I think only last year there was some FSD related push to open it up to everyone.

So, I'd expect a holiday update that is a general update with a few conspicuous changes. Not really any FSD related update.
The last 2 years there's been a new version of FSD Beta for the Holiday update.

It's going out to employees a lot sooner than I expected. In some past releases the public release has followed pretty quickly at this point - V12 is such a big change that I have a hard time seeing that happen, but hopefully I'm wrong!

Real people won't get something called v12 until near the end of Q1 and it won't be earth shattering.

About the "earth shattering" bit: if they can get to parity with V11 from an end-to-end AI system that alone is a pretty big accomplishment in my opinion!

Damn...only 7 out of 19,271 cars are running the same software as me now??? It's been a while since I looked. I'm going for #1!
Kudos for rebelliousness alone!

In my case, TeslaFi reports 8 of 19,173 Teslas on the same software as I: v2022.20.8, the last one prior to TV and disabled radars. All are Model 3 and HW3.0 with 2 each from 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. I’m one of the only two for 2018! Assuming the other owner sells soon, I am a contender for being the lone ranger on this software/model/year. Not something I’d wanted nor thought I’d ever care about, but still anxiously (or not) awaiting that TV parity thingie I’ve read about.

Reactions: dbldwn02