Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Why do you want a Tesla? [from 2016]

What most interests you in a Tesla?

• Most Advanced Tech of any car: Autopilot/Autosteer, Over-the-Air Updates, GUI, falcon wing doors etc

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • Safest Cars in the world by significant margin: Front crumple zone, side impact, rollover, roof etc

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Unparallelled Performance: Quickest acceleration with ludicrous mode, great handling, etc

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Best Electric Car: Fastest charging with extensive Supercharging network, longest range, lowest COD

Votes: 50 16.4%
  • All of the above: Consistently makes the best rated cars in the world (EV or not) of each class

Votes: 218 71.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right I was implying people look who for electric cars are environmentally conscious although you could argue many of the other benefits are because it is electric!

For example the instant torque of electric and great handling from low center of gravity from the battery cells on the floor makes it exceed performance of comparable ICE cars. Also, the industry leading safety is in part due to it being electric: large crumple zone due to the lack of ICE components, low center of gravity as mentioned above also makes it nearly impossible to rolliver, and I think someone said the battery floor makes the sides very rigid/strong to limit side impact to significantly less than the next best car (a guy on here survived getting Tboned in driver side door)

Also for now there is some debate over net environmental impact until electricity is produced more from clean/alternative energy so I didn't really want to bring up discussion of that.

I get that "Best Electric Car" with performance, low centre of gravity, safety etc is important. But that is not "clean" as in generating less performance.

I think it is recognized that an electric car that gets energy from even a coal fired electricity plant is cleaner than an ICE. Correct me if I'm wrong. And many are getting their electricity from solar panels. Roof top electricity will only grow over time. You can't deny that's a factor in a customer's reason to buy electric. Seriously, go look at Elon's launch video for the Model X. (It's on Vimeo and elsewhere). Notice the reasons he built electric cars. Spoiler - for the environment. He didn't build electric for performance - that just happened to be a characteristic of electric motors.

Oh no, I'm infected too!! I'm a complete BEV fanboy as anyone at workplace knows. I came from a Leaf and I loved that car, barring the range. And it was fugly.

One thing I truly miss - even driving a Prius now - is the QUIET! I loved driving in the morning with the windows down, enjoying the quiet, wind and movement of the car. Simply magical.

I am completely looking forward to enjoying my Tesla. It has so many improvements over the Leaf its not even funny.

(1) Buying a Model 3 is part of my retirement plan to drive down my expenses as I get too old to work. We've made our home as energy efficient as we could, installed a 6.81 kW {nameplate capacity} solar array to provide us with dirt cheap power for our home and an EV.

(2) Tesla seems to make compromises differently than the entrenched players. AFAIK, safety isn't one of their areas of big compromises.

(3) Finally, the way those entrenched players fight against Tesla being able to sell their cars at every turn. That was what really made me decide it must be a Tesla. BTW, they aren't allowed to sell them in Alabama where I'm from and this is my way of thumbing my nose at them and saying we don't need them as much as they need us.

Let's be real and add "status icon" to the list! Tesla is a cool company and makes cool cars!

The major items have been covered a million times before, and as we know, life is all about the little things, so let's focus on those for a moment!
  • The smell on your hands after you're done pumping gasoline
  • Having to stand outside in the cold/rain/etc while pumping gas
  • The lingering smell of exhaust when you go out to your garage to get some beer hours after parking your car
  • The momentary panic when you can't remember the last time you had an oil change and are wondering if you've done irreparable damage to your engine
  • Popping the hood and seeing tons of *sugar* and dirty machinery
  • Remembering you haven't glanced at the engine temperature gauge in a while and holding your breath wondering what you're gonna do if it's in the red
  • Seeing a pool of liquid on the ground in the morning and swearing to yourself as you bend over and smell it because it could be any number of different liquids
  • Scraping ice off your car and coughing as you inhale straight exhaust
  • Panic attack when you remember you left the oil cap sitting on the car frame after adding oil and pull over as gently as possible, hoping and praying the cap isn't lost forever
  • Occasionally popping the hood "just to make sure" everything looks okay
  • The tiny bit of gas that still splashes onto your jeans even after you shook the nozzle for 15 seconds
The list goes on, but that's all for now!

One more: Walking into the auto parts store for some car wash / wax, and realizing that almost everything else in the store doesn't apply to me!

Reactions: Jim R
It's a combination of everything. I really love Elon's push towards sustainable energy in the future. The cars are beautiful and the company seems to be constantly innovating. I bought in stock wise years ago, and thankfully was able to reserve a III on 4/1. This is just the beginning and I truly believe in the trajectory of EM's vision.

Reactions: Skotty
I want a Tesla because EVs fit my driving style to a T (no pun intended).

I am the type that hates to brake. Braking is literally burning money via brake pad wear and gasoline. I will never understand the people that accelerate toward red lights or don't realize that there is a third option in traffic other than accelerating and braking (coasting for those of you still racking your brains).

I feel better when I increase my gas mileage (I keep track every time I fill up the tank), especially when I make a conscious effort to hypermile more and see it reflected in the numbers. Awesome.

Driving is like a game to me. It's a balance between not pissing off the guy behind you and saving easy money. But going back to the former, I get this weird sense of satisfaction when the guy behind or in front of me brakes but I don't. Anybody else? Especially in traffic. It makes me feel like a superior driver and sometimes I wonder if people are like "Wow! How is that guy not braking but I and everybody else is?!" It's gotten to the point that I occasionally downshift to "2" on my Toyota automatic to engine brake even though I know that burns even more money than braking.

More often than not, they're probably pissed that I'm not splitting atoms between my bumper and the guy in front of me, but I can't help but wonder if they realize that what I'm doing makes me not only a smarter driver more aware of his surroundings, but also that I have a better understanding of traffic and extending the life of my car. Probably not though. Having to brake seems to make people angry, and I sit there and quietly bask in the sweet, sweet satisfaction that this guy who's riding my ass is getting more and more irritated for absolutely no reason. Just chill out and enjoy the ride. The extra 20 feet in front of me means absolutely NOTHING to your destination's ETA.

The beauty of it all is that, in traffic, everybody ends up at the same place at the same time, no matter how you get there, be it coasting with 2-3 car lengths in front of you or GO-STOP-GO-STOP a half a car length from the other guy. Knowing this is the key to stress-free driving.

BUT! Back to why I want a Tesla: regenerative braking. I can now brake even less! I can also piss people off less because I can reduce the buffer in front of me while still not having to brake. I can also win the "Haha you had to brake but I didn't" game much more often. I am so pumped.

I know I can get this in another EV, but come on, are there really any other viable alternatives?

Because I am tired of being a GAS SLAVE at the pump, while the unelected CARB board (California) adds more taxes on top of the existing taxes under the guise of Cap & Trade.

I think someone somewhere called it 'taxation without representation'.

Any like minded person buying an electric care is engaging in their own personal BOSTON TEA PARTY.

Oh, and I am buying a Tesla over any other electric because of everything everybody else said. And some of you said it in a pretty hilarious way too.

ICE cars are like steam trains... Look at tail pipes chugging out carbon, just feels like entropy had full reign over us. Now if we can cooperatively modernize the electrical grid, we can all benefit.

I'm now free from the oil price roller coaster - and going to a gas station. Now there's no damnit moment when you feel you just filled the tank and now you need to fork over another $60.

I suspect we could ultimately mitigate the Middle East and its impact in global politics, if their oil was less relevant.

Plus it looks nice and drives well.

I think it is recognized that an electric car that gets energy from even a coal fired electricity plant is cleaner than an ICE. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong. :)

Driving an efficient hybrid gasoline car is better for CO2 and other pollutants than driving a car on coal electricity.

However, in most of the country, driving electric is about as good or better . Sometimes much better. And even in carbon-heavy grid areas there are often options for renewable power plans or solar panels can be installed on the roof. It's also true that the grid is already quickly moving away from coal and adding more renewable sources while petroleum drilling and refining will generally get more energy (carbon) intense.

Going electric is rarely a bad choice because at worst it is usually equivalent to an efficient conventional gasoline car.