Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Though one oddity, in some paperwork I've seen they're planning on 2 M4-TL-US inverters and 1 M8-TL-US inverter. The M8 I would figure for the 6.7 and .9 KW section (since they're facing the same direction), but the M4 seems undersized for at least the 5.6KW south-southeast section there. I've asked the project advisor if that's actually correct.

DC/AC ratio is a hot topic with lots of data sources and theories, but I think given the high operating temps of the solar roof it makes sense for you to just keep the 4kW Delta inverter for that group of tiles

Here's an article from Solar Power World that says for string inverters, the target DC AC ratio is 1.3 to 1.6. This takes into account the financial implications offset by clipping. So I think what Tesla quoted you for that M4 (5.6 / 4) = 1.4 should be ok.

https://new.abb.com/docs/librariesp...ded that an inverter,fixed cost of the system.

ABB found that the optimal DC-to-AC ratio in these areas depended on the design goal. For example, regardless of site conditions, sizing a system to maximize specific yield allows for an ideal DC-to-AC ratio at or slightly below 1.2. However, sizing a system to target the best financial output could lead to higher DC-to-AC ratios, between 1.3 and 1.6

The article cites research by ABB (who subsequently bailed on the inverter business so maybe they were trying to sabotage? haha)

One thing I'm curious about with the Tesla solar roofs is why they can't add an extra row of tiles near the ridge of a roofline. Its there some huge setback requirement that they need to comply with? Every time I see these Tesla solar roof layouts I'm always thinking "why don't they fit some more tiles??"

I was afraid of that. Looks like solar is a lost cause for us. Thank you.

There's a coop solar project in Edmonds, WA (a few miles West of you) that you can try to see if you can make work for you in a round-about sort of way.

You basically pay into the coop and they'll put panels on the roof of a common building. Then give you the energy credits as an offset against usage of that coop structure. They say you'll actually get the incentive/credits too.

Community Solar

Edit: Sorry this program is over now...

I'm in the process of getting Tesla Solar and the inspector came for a site visit yesterday and I got my Customer Layout today for a 25-panel setup.

Here's the thing: 8 of the 25 panels would be placed on north-facing roof areas where they would get little to no sunlight during most of the year and a small amount of very oblique sunlight during the early and late hours of the height of summer. Does this make any sense? Would these panels even be worthwhile? I'm in the SF Bay Area at a latitude of 37.3ºN.

Also, does Tesla optimize their strings so the low-power panels won't drag down the output from the higher ones? Do they often install two inverters or use inverters that can take multiple strings at different voltages?

I've attached my layout, and boxed the north-facing panels in red. Any insights are appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 12.22.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 12.22.30 PM.png
    199 KB · Views: 116
I'm in the process of getting Tesla Solar and the inspector came for a site visit yesterday and I got my Customer Layout today for a 25-panel setup.

Here's the thing: 8 of the 25 panels would be placed on north-facing roof areas where they would get little to no sunlight during most of the year and a small amount of very oblique sunlight during the early and late hours of the height of summer. Does this make any sense? Would these panels even be worthwhile? I'm in the SF Bay Area at a latitude of 37.3ºN.

Also, does Tesla optimize their strings so the low-power panels won't drag down the output from the higher ones? Do they often install two inverters or use inverters that can take multiple strings at different voltages?

I've attached my layout, and boxed the north-facing panels in red. Any insights are appreciated!

A common theme I've seen in this thread is how much a stupid vent(s) can impact the layout of solar panels. In my opinion, especially in situations where the only other option is north-facing panels (which are a waste in most USA latitudes), these should be dealt with and re-routed by a contractor. It's often not hard.

I would strongly consider dealing with the three vents on the left south-facing roof plane. You would be able to fit an additional 4 panels on that plane if you dealt with them, leaving you with a clean 24 panel south-facing layout.

DC/AC ratio is a hot topic with lots of data sources and theories, but I think given the high operating temps of the solar roof it makes sense for you to just keep the 4kW Delta inverter for that group of tiles

Here's an article from Solar Power World that says for string inverters, the target DC AC ratio is 1.3 to 1.6. This takes into account the financial implications offset by clipping. So I think what Tesla quoted you for that M4 (5.6 / 4) = 1.4 should be ok.

https://new.abb.com/docs/librariesprovider117/default-document-library/solar-inverters/solar_power_world-article.pdf?sfvrsn=80a7614_4#:~:text=ABB concluded that an inverter,fixed cost of the system.

Isn't the only expense there the cost of going from a M4-TL-US to a M6-TL-US? I can't seem to find pricing differences on the actual inverters, but for similar inverters the price jump for similar capacity models is ~$300. The document comes at it from a viewpoint of, for a given fixed inverter size, does it make more sense to oversize the panels. Well...I've got a panel size, why not bump up the inverter instead?

Isn't the only expense there the cost of going from a M4-TL-US to a M6-TL-US? I can't seem to find pricing differences on the actual inverters, but for similar inverters the price jump for similar capacity models is ~$300. The document comes at it from a viewpoint of, for a given fixed inverter size, does it make more sense to oversize the panels. Well...I've got a panel size, why not bump up the inverter instead?

There's an M5 as well, you can ask Tesla to quote you the upgrade cost. If it's a few hundred bucks I guess it'll help you to feel better about your purchase by having a lower DC/AC ratio to little to no clipping.

First major set back. APS, my power company has denied Tesla's interconnection plan and needs it to be revised. To Tesla's credit, I had a text message this morning at 7am notifying me of this. I was already CC'd with my power company, but it is nice Tesla Energy is being active in their communication so far.
Another major update:

I had not heard about my interconnect being resubmitted so I shot my advisor an email on the 17th. Prompted with an out of the office message, but she got back to me on the 19th and said she would ask the team for an update. The 20th a new design was submitted and approved on the 21st. Got a text/email for scheduling on the 22nd, a Saturday. Took the earliest and even called scheduling to see if I could be bumped up, but the soonest is September 2nd.

So if you are not getting much action, it is in your best interest to find out who your project advisor is and shoot them an email. Mine was listed at the bottom of my Solar order.

Reactions: willow_hiller
I'd like to post my solar roof layout but the Oakland CA Fire Department has it on hold for a couple months now because I want more than one Powerwall. I don't know what else I can do to help this along, other than cancelling my order and have the solar roof with one powerwall installed then pay for Tesla to come back and install the other powerwalls at another time when it's approved with a second install charge. Does anyone else have any ideas of how to handle my situation?
Thanks for your comments.

bummer about the utility rule. Hate to see all that wasted white space ;)

I was told it would be 110% of previous 12 months usage. ComEd in Illinois does provide net metering with 1:1. Plus I’m on hourly rate, maybe the utility company doesn’t want to send out checks each month for over production.

I did ask Tesla if there are any forms to fill out to request bigger design if there is an anticipated higher usage but was told not with ComEd.

Hello,
I have been going back and forth with the design team at Tesla (through the project advisor) to get the optimal layout.
1st attachment is the original layout they proposed. The 2nd attachment is the one I suggested. 3rd is the latest iteration that they spit out. Last one is the satellite photo (North points up).... I even provided them with the drone pictures of my roof to make it easier.
I was trying to get rid of the panels that are facing directly North... they moved 5 of them and still left 2. They also rejected all of my suggestions as you can see in the 2nd attachment (marked in RED).

My main question is: "when the installation team actually comes out to install everything, has anyone been successful in getting them to relocate some of the low kW producing panels to the South-West side... if it is possible due to code and etc? Or installers will not deviate from the final approved design... or they simply do not have hardware to mount panels at "not as deigned" locations?"

Thank you, in advance, for any feedback.

Attachments

• 12kW Tesla Original layout 081020.JPG
    12kW Tesla Original layout 081020.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 12kW suggested by me .jpg
    12kW suggested by me .jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 12kW Tesla Final layout 082920.jpg
    12kW Tesla Final layout 082920.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 81
  • satellite view.JPG
    satellite view.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 88
A lot of jurisdictions have certain setback requirements... the panels need to be x distance from the edge of the roof. Different areas have different requirements, but I suspect that in your drawings the panels got too close to the edge of the roof and that’s why tesla is unable to install the system that way.

There is some history of panels being moved to different locations on install day. In my case they discovered that one panel simply wouldn’t fit where it was supposed to be according to the plan, so they moved it to another location. However, voluntary movements might be a little harder to get them to agree to, and if you want to put them somewhere that wouldn’t meet the setback requirements then that would certainly be out.

• Helpful
Reactions: ellisina4
Hello,
My main question is: "when the installation team actually comes out to install everything, has anyone been successful in getting them to relocate some of the low kW producing panels to the South-West side... if it is possible due to code and etc? Or installers will not deviate from the final approved design... or they simply do not have hardware to mount panels at "not as deigned" locations?"

My installer followed the plans to a T. He was fine asking for any changes I wanted, but he wanted the plans updated and would have to leave the job. Most of my changes would have made their job easier, so I told them to move forward.

• Helpful
Reactions: ellisina4
A lot of jurisdictions have certain setback requirements... the panels need to be x distance from the edge of the roof. Different areas have different requirements, but I suspect that in your drawings the panels got too close to the edge of the roof and that’s why tesla is unable to install the system that way.

There is some history of panels being moved to different locations on install day. In my case they discovered that one panel simply wouldn’t fit where it was supposed to be according to the plan, so they moved it to another location. However, voluntary movements might be a little harder to get them to agree to, and if you want to put them somewhere that wouldn’t meet the setback requirements then that would certainly be out.

Thank you much for the response... is there any way to contact the design team directly instead of going through project advisor? It seems there very little communication between project advisor and design team... When I ask the advisor why something is done this way or another, I get no answers... in the latest design that Tesla produced, the 4 panels on the North-West are so close to the roof ridges that it makes me wonder why they would not take 2 panels from the North side and move them to the very front of the house where there are 10 panels already...

Thank you.

I'd like to post my solar roof layout but the Oakland CA Fire Department has it on hold for a couple months now because I want more than one Powerwall. I don't know what else I can do to help this along, other than cancelling my order and have the solar roof with one powerwall installed then pay for Tesla to come back and install the other powerwalls at another time when it's approved with a second install charge. Does anyone else have any ideas of how to handle my situation?
Thanks for your comments.

Why is more than one powerwall an issue?

I am in the East bay with 2 Powerwalls and have heard of others with up to 4.