Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who’ve had their systems installed recently, do they enter your attic for any reason? No juicy secrets in mine...just a thick, undisturbed layer of blown-in insulation.

Excited about my 8kW system, but need a couple dominos to fall first: electrician coming mid-July to upgrade service & replace 40 year-old breaker panel; and waiting on Tesla engineering response to my request for change to a portion of their initial panel layout.
They went into my attic to run some conduit from the solar array to the inverters, to connect the Powerwalls to the other panels, and to run a CAT6 to my switch on the other side of the house.

• Informative
Reactions: steve3
Turns out I have a layout on my account. Only problem is it is not loading it... like the layout website is down.

Okay this made me laugh. I sent an email about this and just got a response to sign out and sign back in yesterday. Which is the technical support generic suggestion of "have you tired restarting it?" over a week after I sent the email. Calling Tesla Energy solved my issue immediately.

The home advisor and the design team have been fine otherwise.

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
Okay this made me laugh. I sent an email about this and just got a response to sign out and sign back in yesterday. Which is the technical support generic suggestion of "have you tired restarting it?" over a week after I sent the email. Calling Tesla Energy solved my issue immediately.

The home advisor and the design team have been fine otherwise.

Yes, there appears to be a quirk in their document system right now where we get notified about documents being "ready" before they're actually ready (which causes the link to timeout). This has happened to me a few times, and a quick call is the best way to sort it out.

• Informative
Reactions: h2oAok
layout.png

1. So I had ordered the 8.16kW system but based on my last 12 months energy usage. my electric company (ComEd) would only allow a 5.78 kW system. A couple things on the usage: 1) Past 4 months I've been working from home and haven't left house much due to the times we're in...so haven't driven the car much and no need to charge as often (Model 3) 2) In September 2019 I took a job that is only 2 miles away from home, so energy consumption is low at the moment. Last 12 months energy usage is about 7200 kWh. I tried to explain that to the advisors but the electric company will only go based on last 12 month data. Any advice on what to do here?

2. As far as pricing, I can't make sense of it (below is excluding powerwall). Thoughts on this, worth it?
upload_2020-6-30_21-55-23.png

3. For the layout, I requested for a version with them on the north facing roof on the back of the house where I would prefer it aesthetically . I know production drops, but if it means more panels needed on the back to get back to same production numbers, maybe the cost of extra panels ends up being the same. Based on the above pricing table, 24 panels costs $5802 while 17 panels costs $6206. We'll see what they come up with.

View attachment 558868

1. So I had ordered the 8.16kW system but based on my last 12 months energy usage. my electric company (ComEd) would only allow a 5.78 kW system. A couple things on the usage: 1) Past 4 months I've been working from home and haven't left house much due to the times we're in...so haven't driven the car much and no need to charge as often (Model 3) 2) In September 2019 I took a job that is only 2 miles away from home, so energy consumption is low at the moment. Last 12 months energy usage is about 7200 kWh. I tried to explain that to the advisors but the electric company will only go based on last 12 month data. Any advice on what to do here?

2. As far as pricing, I can't make sense of it (below is excluding powerwall). Thoughts on this, worth it?View attachment 558877

3. For the layout, I requested for a version with them on the north facing roof on the back of the house where I would prefer it aesthetically . I know production drops, but if it means more panels needed on the back to get back to same production numbers, maybe the cost of extra panels ends up being the same. Based on the above pricing table, 24 panels costs $5802 while 17 panels costs $6206. We'll see what they come up with.

That's a bummer. So they don't even allow you to go up-to your last 12 months of usage? Maybe wait a month, buy a few space heaters, and run them on high for a month? Sort of joking.

I would still try to have Tesla use the bigger 7.6kW inverter, which will give you headroom in the future to upgrade.

That's a bummer. So they don't even allow you to go up-to your last 12 months of usage? Maybe wait a month, buy a few space heaters, and run them on high for a month? Sort of joking.

I would still try to have Tesla use the bigger 7.6kW inverter, which will give you headroom in the future to upgrade.

They allow up to 110% of your usage, but I think its since the smaller 5.78 kW system produces an estimated 7400 kWH. The thing with waiting is I don't want install pushed to 2021 and potentially miss fed tax credit and my states adjustable block program. I wonder if a price drop on 2021 will come to account for the tax credit drop. The state incentive could go away altogether, who knows.

Invite all your EV owning friends to come over for a beer and charge their car to goose your usage. :eek: (They provide the beer in payment for your electricity.)
lol

They allow up to 110% of your usage, but I think its since the smaller 5.78 kW system produces an estimated 7400 kWH. The thing with waiting is I don't want install pushed to 2021 and potentially miss fed tax credit and my states adjustable block program. I wonder if a price drop on 2021 will come to account for the tax credit drop. The state incentive could go away altogether, who knows.

lol

Why do they only allow up to 110% of your usage? Is it a code or just your utility company's policy? I'm hoping to install a system 20% larger than my current use, to account for an upcoming EV purchase (20,000 miles/year), large reef aquarium, and garage freezer.

Why do they only allow up to 110% of your usage? Is it a code or just your utility company's policy? I'm hoping to install a system 20% larger than my current use, to account for an upcoming EV purchase (20,000 miles/year), large reef aquarium, and garage freezer.
It is generally a utility policy - where I am, the limit is 200%. Even then, it is a limit on install size for their Net Metering program. So you might even be able to install over 200% and connect to the grid but would lose out on the benefits of net metering.

Good morning,

This is the layout that Tesla provided for my house. Unfortunately I could not proceed because they would not do the install on the clay tile roof my house has. They say it is too fragile and the install cause a lot of damage and they don't have the proper anchors. I looked into replacing the areas where the panels would go with other type of roof (shingles), but the quote I got was too high, somewhere between $16 and $20K. With that price plus the cost of the panels it does not make sense to do it. I think it would be better to get the Solar Roof, however, Tesla tells me the the Solar Roof has not been approved for installation in Miami-Dade County quite yet.

Has anyone here installed solar panels on clay tile roof or know of anyone that can do it?

Thanks,
Alex
EF2BFDF71.jpeg

I noticed that many of these layouts have panels on the north side of the roof. Isn’t there significantly less production from north facing panels?

Definitely. Typically north facing panels are done for one of two reasons... All the panels couldn’t fit on the non north facing mounting planes, or the customer (or hoa) requires that panels not be placed at the front of the house or on a specific mounting plane and north is the only option left.

Tesla / SolarCity solar reviews, complaints, address & solar panels cost

This makes me worry about their installation/quality of workmanship.
It is cheaper to go with Tesla. However, I am not sure to spend a lot of time to talk to cs and to endure the stress. What do you think?

After reading through @BrettS 's install process, I'm not too worried. This post is a good one to start on if you want to read through it yourself: New Tesla 15.12kW Solar / 4 Powerwall order in Orlando

With only ~400 reviews, I'm convinced that it's only outliers that end up leaving solar reviews. And the vast majority of them are in relation to PPA and other financing arrangements that Tesla doesn't do anymore.

Pretty good day today. I'm obsessive about stuff and have been unhappy about panels on any roof other than south facing. I realize this isn't a big deal, it's just something about myself that I have to reconcile. My plan was to ask Tesla to simply remove the 4 panels currently on the East facing roof from the design all together.

After requesting this apparently the design team was able to stuff all 24 panels onto the south facing roof. It's a good day as my mind wont wander while looking at the solar production if I could've done better. OCD much?

Just got my install date, 14 July. Pretty surprised how fast everything came together. Now I’ve got to get my installation notes done and try to get my hpwc installed before they come. Want to include it on the backup.

not include hot tub
include everything else hpwc and ac

install notes:
Prefer Powerwalls installed in garage, but it’s around 75 feet from the main power. Will they charge extra for that? Do they wire along under the eaves?
I’d like optimizers as they can help identify panel production issues

welcome your comments, thanks!

Reactions: willow_hiller
Just got my install date, 14 July. Pretty surprised how fast everything came together. Now I’ve got to get my installation notes done and try to get my hpwc installed before they come. Want to include it on the backup.

not include hot tub
include everything else hpwc and ac

install notes:
Prefer Powerwalls installed in garage, but it’s around 75 feet from the main power. Will they charge extra for that? Do they wire along under the eaves?
I’d like optimizers as they can help identify panel production issues

welcome your comments, thanks!

can answer two of your questions. They do wire under eaves. That’s how we are having ours done. Told they will paint to match background color.

You likely will have a SolarEdge inverter and it uses optimizers with the Q-Cell panels. We have a chance of our palms casting a shadow across part of our panels down the road and that system will adjust for partial shade and not drop all your panels to a lower production.