Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powdercoated my 20s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another extremely happy customer of Luis Rodriguez at JR Wheel! Excellent customer service, impeccable workmanship, fast turn around (same day pick up!)... really could not have asked for a better experience and am so happy to have found him on this forum! Went with a glossy gun metal on my white TM3. The pearly glossy finish is outstanding. I had the calipers done by someone else awhile back.
99527626-592A-4206-A537-A58873067956.jpeg

Another extremely happy customer of Luis Rodriguez at JR Wheel! Excellent customer service, impeccable workmanship, fast turn around (same day pick up!)... really could not have asked for a better experience and am so happy to have found him on this forum! Went with a glossy gun metal on my white TM3. The pearly glossy finish is outstanding. I had the calipers done by someone else awhile back. View attachment 335988

Damn, that looks good; you've validated my plans. Can we get a shot of the whole car for effect?

Damn, that looks good; you've validated my plans. Can we get a shot of the whole car for effect?

6DB25A50-53DE-49FE-A150-29175B61E9F5.jpeg
D905E06D-A58F-422C-AE4F-4FE245A64EE6.jpeg

Here you go... really hard to capture the color accurately. Depending on time of day and angle sometimes it looks lighter and sometimes darker. The detail shot probably more accurately reflects the true color. Front/rear emblems and side camera logos are red but not planning to do any chrome delete. Tint is F1 Pinnacle 35 all around and Llumar Air 80 on windshield.

Do they take card?

Sounds like a great deal. What color did you go with if I may ask?

Unfortunately cash only. Seeing previous threads on JR Wheel it seems as though his prices have gone up a bit but I still think $500 for all four wheels is a very good price.

I went with a custom glossy gun metal color that I guess they have to special order. It has a more warm undertone than the stock Tesla grey turbine color, which has bluish undertones, but with the glossy finish his gunmetal color was much more pearly than the stock Tesla grey, which was exactly what I hoped for. I'm not sure if you can tell in the photo (photos never seem to capture true color well), but the wheel on the left is the stock Tesla grey color, the wheel in the middle is a sample color from a swatch that he was kind enough to make for me so I can get a better idea of what it would look like (cooler toned like stock and less pearl), and the wheel on the right is the glossy gun metal I eventually went with. It seems to be a really popular choice for his customers if not opting for black. I personally thought the warmer undertones looked better with my car anyway, which surprised me because I usually like cooler tones. Also the middle wheel looks darker in the photo than the left or right wheel but it was actually lighter in person. You really just have to see the colors in person and next to your car to get a better idea of what would look best. Another thing I should mention is that to me the finished color seems darker than the sample, but could just be the tire around it and the style of the wheel giving that effect. Still love it though.
IMG_1712.JPG

Unfortunately cash only. Seeing previous threads on JR Wheel it seems as though his prices have gone up a bit but I still think $500 for all four wheels is a very good price.

I went with a custom glossy gun metal color that I guess they have to special order. It has a more warm undertone than the stock Tesla grey turbine color, which has bluish undertones, but with the glossy finish his gunmetal color was much more pearly than the stock Tesla grey, which was exactly what I hoped for. I'm not sure if you can tell in the photo (photos never seem to capture true color well), but the wheel on the left is the stock Tesla grey color, the wheel in the middle is a sample color from a swatch that he was kind enough to make for me so I can get a better idea of what it would look like (cooler toned like stock and less pearl), and the wheel on the right is the glossy gun metal I eventually went with. It seems to be a really popular choice for his customers if not opting for black. I personally thought the warmer undertones looked better with my car anyway, which surprised me because I usually like cooler tones. Also the middle wheel looks darker in the photo than the left or right wheel but it was actually lighter in person. You really just have to see the colors in person and next to your car to get a better idea of what would look best. Another thing I should mention is that to me the finished color seems darker than the sample, but could just be the tire around it and the style of the wheel giving that effect. Still love it though.
View attachment 338199
Thank you for these pics - exactly what I will do with mine over the winter. Saving these for reference!

Reactions: gellibelly
I really don't get this black wheel fad. You took some nice looking wheels and made them look dirty, or absent looking. There is no more contrast between the tire and the wheel and all the nice geometric lines on the wheels are now gone. It looks like you parked your car in a bad neighborhood and had your wheels stolen and put on blocks. Can someone please explain why this is supposed to look good or is this just the cool thing to do even though it looks atrocious?
I think it depends on the color of the car, and the color of the wheels.
I actually bought silver 21s to replace the silver 19s on my white Model S, with a plan to powdercoat the new wheels black.
But when I saw the silver 21s on the car I was struck by how beautiful they looked. and decided to leave them as they were.

Ironically, the 19s would have been a better choice if going black. If I was going to 'hide' the wheels, I might as well be hiding cheaper wheels.

Waaahhhhhh, other people like things I don't like on the internet and it makes me upset waaaaahhhhh!
It is an interesting philosophical condundrum: is there objective beauty?
I say there is, at least if you restrict yourself to the species making the assessment.
As a human, evolved on a green world with blue skies we have a biological predisposition towards certain aesthetics. This means that as a human there are certain combinations of shapes and colors we must find beautiful, and others we can't.
And we rightly revile those who find beauty in incorrect patterns and colors, and seek to cull them from the gene pool by reducing their status (and commensurate mating potential) on internet fora.
In other words, people who think black rims on a white car look good should be dissuaded from reproducing at all costs.
(here is a smiley face, if that helps --> :) )

It is an interesting philosophical condundrum: is there objective beauty?
I say there is, at least if you restrict yourself to the species making the assessment.
As a human, evolved on a green world with blue skies we have a biological predisposition towards certain aesthetics. This means that as a human there are certain combinations of shapes and colors we must find beautiful, and others we can't.
And we rightly revile those who find beauty in incorrect patterns and colors, and seek to cull them from the gene pool by reducing their status (and commensurate mating potential) on internet fora.
In other words, people who think black rims on a white car look good should be dissuaded from reproducing at all costs.
(here is a smiley face, if that helps --> :) )
This black wheel thing is indeed a fad though. This can't be where all of a sudden back wheels are beautiful when they have never been in the past. It must be a learned thing more akin to fashion. If you are completely objective there is no esthetics in something you can't see. Usually through a finish you want to accentuate the esthetic design of a wheel. With black, all the lines of the wheel are muted out with no contrast between it and the tire. The rim design might as well be a piece of turd cause no one can see it. It pretty much looks like the wheels on your car are missing. From the far a car with stolen wheels on blocks looks very much like a car with black wheels. At least with gloss black, it looks like some work went into it. But this popular flat black thing looks like a post apocalyptic trailer trash spray can job.

I think this started with the Mad Max movie or similar movies like it. Sure, post apocalypse, you only have cheep black spray paint to stave off rust, if you're lucky. With such movies in people's conciseness the need to put some of that movie "bad ass" on their car seem appealing. Then others followed. Oh yea, it's so cool because its different and everybody does it. Oh, wait, that is the definition of uncool.

This black wheel thing is indeed a fad though. This can't be where all of a sudden back wheels are beautiful when they have never been in the past. It must be a learned thing more akin to fashion. If you are completely objective there is no esthetics in something you can't see. Usually through a finish you want to accentuate the esthetic design of a wheel. With black, all the lines of the wheel are muted out with no contrast between it and the tire. The rim design might as well be a piece of turd cause no one can see it. It pretty much looks like the wheels on your car are missing. From the far a car with stolen wheels on blocks looks very much like a car with black wheels. At least with gloss black, it looks like some work went into it. But this popular flat black thing looks like a post apocalyptic trailer trash spray can job.

I think this started with the Mad Max movie or similar movies like it. Sure, post apocalypse, you only have cheep black spray paint to stave off rust, if you're lucky. With such movies in people's conciseness the need to put some of that movie "bad ass" on their car seem appealing. Then others followed. Oh yea, it's so cool because its different and everybody does it. Oh, wait, that is the definition of uncool.
e26.jpg

Reactions: eyespii

LMAO. Tell us how you really feel about black wheels.

I am truly entertained by your *sugar* talking and I mean that. <3 If I may ask, do you have any experience with UI, design, aesthetics, etc that you are speaking professionally from or is it just your opinion?