Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power charging cable extension cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my model 3 and am trying to figure out how best to plug in the AR without having to back it in to get close enough to my outlet and the Tesla cable. Can anyone recommend an power extension extension cord? Keep hearing concerns about overheating, no shutoff for amperage the goes too high, etc? Thanks

Which connector are you using. Most NEMA 10-30 extension cables work fine. I don't know if anybody use any 14-50 extension cables before. At one of my job sites. they have a NEAM 10-30 but cars are parked next to it. so I use a 10-30 extension cord (25ft) and it's fine. Order from Amazon.

-ThinkMac-

Using a proper extension cord on rare occasions such as when traveling is one thing, but it’s not a good idea to use it for your routine charging at home. I suggest either moving the outlet to where the UMC can reach it, replacing the outlet with a Wall Connector (which has a longer cable than the UMC), or backing in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx and P85_DA
Using a proper extension cord on rare occasions such as when traveling is one thing, but it’s not a good idea to use it for your routine charging at home. I suggest either moving the outlet to where the UMC can reach it, replacing the outlet with a Wall Connector (which has a longer cable than the UMC), or backing in the car.

I agree wholeheartedly on all points with @TexasEV !

I have bought the extension cord linked to above for my own uses while traveling, however, at home when charging every day, at night when you are sleeping (and not supervising) I would want a proper installation. I would probably back the car in (you either have to back in or back out, so same amount of work, why not just do it during parking?), but if you prefer a different setup then yeah, buy a Wall Connector with a long cord on it, or move the receptacle to the right place.

NEC does not allow for extension cords... They are a bad idea especially on high amperage devices like cars.

Also, the UMC I think has temperature probes in the end of its cables, etc... that try to detect if your receptacle is overheating. Using an extension cord adds an un-monitored point of failure where the new extension cord connects to the receptacle/

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
If you use a beefy enough extension cord you should be fine. If you’re trying to extend from a NEMA 14-50 then you can try this extension cord: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024ECIP0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZikoBb89P4PZG

It’s rated for 50 amps and is a very thick and heavy duty cable. I bought the 30 foot one for road trips to my family’s vacation house and it works great for me so far. If you’re using the UMC then your max draw will only be 32 amps so the 50 amp extension cable will work just fine and shouldn’t get too hot.

• Informative
Reactions: chwall P90DL
Just got my model 3 and am trying to figure out how best to plug in the AR without having to back it in to get close enough to my outlet and the Tesla cable. Can anyone recommend an power extension extension cord? Keep hearing concerns about overheating, no shutoff for amperage the goes too high, etc? Thanks

Also- I forgot to mention:

A key safety component of EVSE's is the fact that they turn off power until connected to the vehicle and they have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter built in. On the UMC, this is done in the box on the end of the wire. If you use an extension cord, these safety features only protect the part of the cable downstream from the EVSE box on the end of the wire. The extension cord portion would not be protected.

I just really encourage folks to get a proper setup for their primary charging location. I understand the challenges of charging on the road in temp situations, but at home you should work to have a solid setup.

Thanks. Great feedback from everyone. One last clarification on all of this. When I say "extension" cable, I'm referring to figuring out how to extend the cable from the EVSE box to the car. Right now I have a 20ft cable from EVSE to the car. It looks like I need something a bit longer. So.. what I'm hearing hear is that I should NOT use a connector between my juicebox (EVSE) and the car like the following?

J1772 extension 40A 20-foot cable

or alternative like this. Agree that I do not want to extend from the electrical plug to the EVSE via an extension cord of any sort.

Thanks for the further insight.

This is a good extension cable due to universal design on 14-30/50 Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

Also the camco u find on amazon is extremely heavy don’t recommend that one at all

When I got my 3 in early May, I had things all planned out with a Camco 15 foot 14-50 extension cord to plug into my oven outlet and get the charging cord assembly out the door enough to reach the car. It worked well but the Camco cord is very heavy. I can only imagine how stiff it'll be in sub-freezing winter weather.

I have since wired up a 6-20 outlet closer to the car, and at 15 mph charge rate, it's good enough. I can still use the 14-50 if I need to charge more quickly for some reason.

Reactions: Rocky_H and P85_DA
When I got my 3 in early May, I had things all planned out with a Camco 15 foot 14-50 extension cord to plug into my oven outlet and get the charging cord assembly out the door enough to reach the car. It worked well but the Camco cord is very heavy. I can only imagine how stiff it'll be in sub-freezing winter weather.

I have since wired up a 6-20 outlet closer to the car, and at 15 mph charge rate, it's good enough. I can still use the 14-50 if I need to charge more quickly for some reason.

I got one above to replace camco as too heavy ...this one a lot lighter ...u can also make one with SOOW cable which is even better

That's good to hear about the 6-20 outlet. At my home, I've got 6-20R to J-1772 for my PHEV Ford Fusion Energi now, and plan to use same setup when my model 3 arrives.. Overnight should be able to add 150 miles with the 6-20R which should be plenty in my situation 99% of time.

For travel I will use superchargers and the UMC included with the car. Might eventually buy the $88 extension cord for travel:
Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

Thanks for the thread, this is very timely for me.

I'm thinking of buying something like this. I obviously want to keep the cable run as short as possible but I paced it off and with the 20 foot mobile connector I need about 20 ft more, the extra 5 would be a nice safety margin (safety for distance, not safety for resistance!)
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extens...30928225&sr=1-2&keywords=10-30+extension+cord

My only other option(s) are 110/15 with a short cable run, OR 110/20 but with the exact same cable run (eg, will need an extension cord) as the 10-30!

Got the Tesla 10-30 adapter on the way, and our 10-30 dryer outlet will serve us in the short term. I will probably try to limit my charging to between 9pm-11 or midnight (bedtime) rather than leaving it overnight. I've also got 16c/kWh Chargepoint at work (cheaper than home!), commute 45mi/day, and have a HPWC coming... eventually. (Signature edition my dad is sending me from his rewards account, no tracking # yet, planning on having it installed with the solar, which also has no install date... 6-8 weeks-ish, car coming in 1 week).

I'm thinking of buying something like this. I obviously want to keep the cable run as short as possible but I paced it off and with the 20 foot mobile connector I need about 20 ft more, the extra 5 would be a nice safety margin (safety for distance, not safety for resistance!)
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extension-PowerGrip-Handles-55191/dp/B000BUU5YU/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1530928225&sr=1-2&keywords=10-30+extension+cord
I just want to make sure you're aware that that cord you linked to is a TT-30 plug and outlet on the ends--not 10-30. So make sure you know what you're going to plug into it and what adapters you will need.

Thanks. Great feedback from everyone. One last clarification on all of this. When I say "extension" cable, I'm referring to figuring out how to extend the cable from the EVSE box to the car. Right now I have a 20ft cable from EVSE to the car. It looks like I need something a bit longer. So.. what I'm hearing hear is that I should NOT use a connector between my juicebox (EVSE) and the car like the following?

J1772 extension 40A 20-foot cable

or alternative like this. Agree that I do not want to extend from the electrical plug to the EVSE via an extension cord of any sort.

Thanks for the further insight.

Sure that would work fine, and a lot of the objections above wouldn't apply to it, but I would STILL recommend you move the EVSE to a location that allows you to do without it.

I used a 10-30 last winter for my Model S near Green Bay and morning warmup would still draw down a few miles from the battery and temperatures affected battery warmup time so greatly I couldn't make timing to be done to leave in the morning work. I ordered a wall connector so I can feed it more amperage, and warm the battery and interior in the morning without consuming range.

I know the battery heating is different on the Model 3 but I was also feeding it 24amps not 16 like you will. Hopefully your setup works perfectly. My car is different and my climate colder, but given my experience I feel there is benefit to higher amperage connection for winter use, I also haven't been thru a winter with a higher power connection yet so maybe come January I will decide I was wrong.

Reactions: eprosenx