Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Cost Per Mile

What is your current average electricity cost per mile (pence) (excluding standing charge)

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • 5 - 8

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • 9 - 12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13 - 16

• 17 - 20

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Over 20

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of Interest has anybody done or is doing a cost per mile check on their Model 3. I mean electricity cost only and ideally not to include daily standing charge. You can mention in the thread on what supplier and tariff type it is based on. I know it is not scientific and is based on all kinds of differing parameters but it is just to get an overall comparison of "fuel" running costs. Currently I am not on any low cost tariff and I calculate my cost per mile is 7p - which seems high. Possibly I should slow down.

Would be surprised if many were over 10p, surely? NB, need a 12 month average to put the effects of winter into context.

What's rule of thumb domestic electricity per kWh? 15p or so for a standard tariff? And rule of thumb long term average Wh/mile maybe c.333 for my Model S. So that would make mine 5p and I don't think either variable would be wrong by more than 10%. That's a home charging standard tariff Model S. EV/E7 tariff for most charging should halve that while third party charging might nearly double it. Model 3 should consume what, 20% less than an S?

My cost per mile is about 1.5p. I’m expecting that to increase to nearer 2p over the winter.

I’m on Octopus GO and only charge during the four-hour 5p window. This is long enough to add about 35% to the battery, so 120-130 miles.

In the three months I’ve had the car I’ve done almost 5000 miles.

Reactions: Keeper
Best case scenario - 0p/mile based on free charging at work
Emergency home charging via granny cable pulled across the path will be 4p/mile based 15p/4miles per KWh (3.75p (+losses))
Worst case - one the road at 50p/KWh = 12.5p/mile which is still cheaper than my last car at 14p

Most realistic is £8.50/month for a Polar subscription while the local council run chargers are connection charge only. That would make my 1500 miles/month 1.57p/mile.

I am in the (probably) unusual situation where I have to rely solely on public chargers (and Superchargers). I have had the car since the 5th November, driven 750 miles and paid £17.48 on electric so just over 2p a mile at the moment. One thing to note is I did use a Supercharger on day 1 (not at the SC) and wasn't charged. I have a decent Polar 50kw charger which is free to use a couple of miles away from my workplace which I have used 3 times.

These rates for people charging overnight on specially low overnight tariffs make you feel great about your EV cost per mile but are you paying an increased rate during the day for all your other electricity consumption?

I did pub maths (i.e. based on very sketchy information) on this and, based on my low mileage, the savings from charging on a low overnight tariff would easily be offset by a small uplift in the daytime tariff applied to everything else my house consumes.
I decided to focus on the best tariff for my house consumption, not my car.

I've been wrong in the pub before though.

EDIT: Big thumbs up for all the people using work electricity to charge though, that really is efficient motoring.

These rates for people charging overnight on specially low overnight tariffs make you feel great about your EV cost per mile but are you paying an increased rate during the day for all your other electricity consumption?

On Octopus Go, its in an increased standing charge. Otherwise daily rate is similar to other Octopus tariffs which vary so impossible to say yes or no.

It's a real simple calculation.
Price of energy in kWh * 0.250 ( or whatever your average is)
If the cost of electricity is 40 p per kWh, then it's indeed 10p. That cost sounds high for me, I pay 16 cents per kWh in SE US, but California pays about that much.

The most common standard domestic rate per kWh in UK is about 15p (that 40p is for the most expensive rapid chargers from some operators). People with EVs tend to get overnight cheap rate deals where for a few hours we pay as low as 5p per kWh ...

Mine works out between 2p-3p per mile. I'm with Bulb, on their economy 7 tariff:
Day unit rate = 15.73p
Night unit rate = 8.15p

I'm mostly charging at home using 3-pin plug, scheduled for when the cheap rate kicks in. On days where I am travelling in to work, I can typically regain the used charge overnight.

Charging at 10A (so 2.4kW), I get about 9 miles of range added per hour, so that's 9 miles for 2.4kWh (2.4 units) costing 19.56p for those 9 miles. Which, if I'm calculating correctly, means each mile costs 2.17p.

This is just going by the range added though - not the number of miles driven. So obviously it'll cost a bit more as I'm using the heating etc.

Works out way cheaper per mile than my old petrol car though.

Reactions: Roy W. and Daverh
are you paying an increased rate during the day for all your other electricity consumption?

I'll have to do these sums at some point (i.e. if I get granted permission for a dropped kerb) as I have some computer bits running 24x7 and work from home 2ish days/week so have a relatively high average usage. I'll cross that bridge when there are more EVs than charge points in the company carpark.

You have to do the maths for your self, this was our E7 versus day time split, that's running all white goods at night, dyer/dish washer/washing machine.

48138849482_c73b7010ad_h_d.jpg

Am very sceptical on if something like the Octopus Go traiff would actually save us money versus E7. If you look at home electricity use, majority of usage is in the evening which both E7 and Go doesn't benefit and you pay more, but E7 just about covers the smaller morning peak of people waking up just going to work.

49058983062_ed99b09fc0_c_d.jpg

If you than look at weekend use, even with solar PV soaking up base load, we get through nearly 13kWh without trying during peak hours. If your not actually doing many miles to take advantage of E7/Go rates at night, standard electricity traiiff may actually be cheaper!!

img[

• Helpful
Reactions: Keeper
If you don't have any use for the E7 cheap tarriff at getting-up time (depends on what time you get up), and you can do all the charging you need during the GO cheap hours (at 32A charging you get about 30kWh = about 107 miles (for me) in 4 hours) then GO probably wins. The thing about Octopus GO is that the day rate is actually pretty competitve. I'm (South-Central England) paying 5p for the 4 hour cheap peiod, 13.8p day rate and a standing charge of 25p per day with Octopus. The cheapest E7 I can find is EDF at 9.92 night, 14.57 day and standing charge of 21.96. If you need (much) more than 4 hours charging at night that may tip the balance in favour of E7, but you do usually pay a premium for day units for E7, so the calculation will be pretty much down to your individual use pattern

Reactions: Roy W.
My 7p a mile rate is based on info from TeslaFi. These being:-
My total miles to date - 1626
Total M3 KWh consumed for that distance 744kWh
Cost per kWh (Octopus Fixed 12M tariff) 14.78p per kWh
Gives me (744 x 14.78) / 1626 = 6.76p/mile

If and when I get a smart meter fitted and I am able to get onto the GO tariff then this should fall to about 2p/mile. Its just taking a long time :rolleyes:

I did pub maths (i.e. based on very sketchy information) on this and, based on my low mileage, the savings from charging on a low overnight tariff would easily be offset by a small uplift in the daytime tariff applied to everything else my house consumes.
I decided to focus on the best tariff for my house consumption, not my car.

I've been wrong in the pub before though.

EDIT: Big thumbs up for all the people using work electricity to charge though, that really is efficient motoring.
which will be a loooot less than the ev so worth it in the end