Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power drain while idle (Vampire Load)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2005 Prius and have never had a problem with the 12 volt battery. Nor have my friends have problems with the 12 volt battery in their Pri's. I did just replace the battery, but not because it was bad. I gave the car to my 17 year old son, and figured after 7 years, it would not hurt to replace it.

I've never had a problem on either of my Prius, but it's one of the most frequent topics in the Prius groups.

The Vampire load on my new Model S is a lot more than I thought. After sitting idle in the garage for 2-1/2 days, it went from 176 miles left on the charge to 138. This is a fair amount - 6% or more per day! That doesn't bode well. I do note that winter is setting in, and the night lows are about 30F with highs about 40F. It's starting to get colder now, so that might require more energy (I'm assuming most of the load is due to keeping the batteries warm).

Does anyone know if the update to software 4.0 will improve this?

The Vampire load on my new Model S is a lot more than I thought. After sitting idle in the garage for 2-1/2 days, it went from 176 miles left on the charge to 138. This is a fair amount - 6% or more per day! That doesn't bode well. I do note that winter is setting in, and the night lows are about 30F with highs about 40F. It's starting to get colder now, so that might require more energy (I'm assuming most of the load is due to keeping the batteries warm).

Does anyone know if the update to software 4.0 will improve this?

It improves it dramatically. After the update losses are around 2 mi/day.

Right, but, how do we deal with the kind of post-4.0 vampire load that MikeK experienced with parking his car out in the cold?!

Just to add a little datapoint, I parked my car outdoors last night ... and did not plug it in because the cable won't reach.

When I parked the car, it had 106 miles of range available. When I woke the car up this morning, it was down to 72, and there were limit bars on both the regen and overall power output. It was rather chilly, so I imagine that the car had to use some energy from the pack to keep the batteries within acceptable limits.

Just something to be aware of if you happen to park in chilly (or, presumably, warm) conditions.

Yes, 4.0, I should have mentioned.

As I said, it was parked outside in the cold, so I speculate that it had to use energy from the pack to keep the pack temperature within acceptable limits. I had almost no regen available for most of my trip to work because of the low temperature.

How can Tesla claim that the Model S can be left at say, the airport long term parking lot for say, 2-3 weeks without plugging in?! Tesla's post-roadster-bricking-hoax blog post doesn't hold up?!

Plug It In | Blog | Tesla Motors

Just a note from the OP of this thread that 4.0 STILL has not downloaded to my Model S. I spoke with the service manager in Menlo Park a couple of days ago and he was checking with HQ on why I had not received it yet. So I continue to lose 10 miles/day or more now that night time temperatures are around 35 F.

Every car that has a big battery has problems with the small 12V auxiliary battery (more problems if the owner isn't aware of it). The big problem in my opinion is that the 12V battery is just too [expletive deleted] small. If a standard sized car AGM battery was installed, the issues would either go away or be minimized.

My Think City does not suffer from 12 V battery failures. I'm still using the original 26 Ah battery, it's about 12 years old now.

It continually monitors the voltage of the auxiliary battery and fires up the DC-DC to charge it whenever it's low. Its single problem related to the auxiliary battery is that it terminates charging a little early, before the 12 V is completely charged. This causes it to run the DC-DC too often in cold weather, which can waste up to a kWh or two per day when it's really cold. I'm guessing the engineers didn't want to push the entire 12 V system up to 14.2 V. If Model S has a separate output for 12 V charging, it should not suffer from this.

Last edited:
Yes, you have a large enough battery (and it's a high quality battery) to do the job. Prius, Tesla, and Leaf don't.

Although I don't know the 12V failure rates for the automobiles mentioned above, it seems from reading the forums that the Model S's may have the highest 12V battery failure rates of all, particulary considering the number of failures suffered by S owners with very new cars. The Leaf may have the least (but I'm guessing, based solely on the "testimonials" reported in the forums).

Although I don't know the 12V failure rates for the automobiles mentioned above, it seems from reading the forums that the Model S's may have the highest 12V battery failure rates of all, particulary considering the number of failures suffered by S owners with very new cars. The Leaf may have the least (but I'm guessing, based solely on the "testimonials" reported in the forums).
The question will be how many cars that were delivered w/ 4.0+ software have 12V problems. If the number drops then the speculation that the vampire load from early builds trashed the early 12V batteries and newer cars (and early cars w/ 12V batteries after 4.0) won't have the problem. Early days....

Confirmed typical vampire load of 10-11 miles per day

I was just on vacation and decided to leave my Model S unplugged for the duration to confirm how much battery loss there would be (I don't have v4.0 software yet). The car had 238 miles of range the day before we left after completing a standard charge. The car had 174 miles yesterday (6 days later). Both readings were taken the same time of day (within about 15 minutes). The car was parked in our insulated garage (unheated) and the outside temps probably averaged just under 30 degrees.

64 miles of range consumed in 6 days = 10.66 miles/day

January 1st:
batteryrange010113.jpg

January 7th:
batteryrange010713.jpg

Vampire Battery Drain/Discharge

The User's Guide states that a Model S should have 1% battery drain a day (presumably from battery decay and powering the onboard systems used when not driving). I've read many different views on what ACTUAL loss rates are. Has anyone figured out what your actual discharge rate is? This can be estimated for your car many ways, but very simply by:

(1) Unplugging and not using the car for 24 hours, noting both the "Mile Range" numbers that appear on the dashboard before unplugging and at the end of the 24 hour period
(2) Subtracting the "Mile Range" number showing at the end of the 24 hour periood from the "Mile Range" number showing before unplugging, then
(3) Dividing the result of step (2) by the "Mile Range" number before unplugging.

I am doing this now on my new Model S and am interested in what others are seeing.

Thanks. Trying to get a view on likely experiences with percent lost numbers in this post. Not the reasons or diagnostics which have been exhaustiley (believe me, I've been reading!!) reported elsewhere. Having said that, any replies with whether people have installed the latest firmware (or what firmware they have) would be good to see too. The latest firmware (4.0 I believe) corrected some drain in the past.

Thanks. Trying to get a view on likely experiences with percent lost numbers in this post. Not the reasons or diagnostics which have been exhaustiley (believe me, I've been reading!!) reported elsewhere. Having said that, any replies with whether people have installed the latest firmware (or what firmware they have) would be good to see too. The latest firmware (4.0 I believe) corrected some drain in the past.

No problem. It did but they then took out the 'let displays go to sleep' function in V4.2 due to issues. It should come back though. People were seeing about 8 miles of range a day without the sleep mode due to the drain.

Thanks - you seem familiar with these issues. Seen one guy with 15 miles a day loss on version 4.0. That's why i'm checking. Do you think that would be highly unusual for a new car?

Depends on the ambient temperature. If it's very cold, then that wouldn't be unusual at all. I don't think new car has much to do with it (new in terms of miles). New in terms of model newness is another matter. Basically, all this will get straightened out as future updates are pushed--I'd guess within a year.

Would you mind sharing the differences in the factory from your last tour? What makes it "f-ing kicking a..."

haha.. Well, I had the first tour last year in Oct. Second tour Dec 1st last year when I picked up my car (AWESOME!!!) Last tour today while I had my 'temperamental' drivers door handle replaced (functioning but retracting sensor thought it was 'in' when it hadn't gone in yet) and tires rotated + 'my tesla' image changed to show the 21" wheels.

Today there seemed to be a lot more of the boxes of parts for cars in the massive storage area - think 'The Lost Ark' warehouse of boxes stacked tall, much more than there was in December. Tons of cars finished in the Shipping area as well as near the service area (1000-2000?) There are many more areas for paint inspection than we saw before and new areas of the factory that are being used that looked like they were barely touched < 2 months ago. It was mentioned that they are at 10 minutes per station but pushing to 7 or less which would let workers have shorter shifts (I think that was in final assy).
many-many sub assemblies ready to go and it looks like they are using 4 parallel stations for panel sanding(specifically hood panels this afternoon) and final prepping before welding assembly
No cars were being 'burned in' the last time we were there. They do the 27 miles on a 4 wheel Dyno of sorts. Pretty neat.
White floors are getting scuffed up a bit.
Saw a few painted bodies come out of the paint area getting ready to go on the auto-dollies
Tires on the 21" greys look like they are pilot sports now?

220 miles down to 212 in ~9 hrs at ~40F last night

Last edited:
The User's Guide states that a Model S should have 1% battery drain a day (presumably from battery decay and powering the onboard systems used when not driving). I've read many different views on what ACTUAL loss rates are. Has anyone figured out what your actual discharge rate is? This can be estimated for your car many ways, but very simply by:

(1) Unplugging and not using the car for 24 hours, noting both the "Mile Range" numbers that appear on the dashboard before unplugging and at the end of the 24 hour period
(2) Subtracting the "Mile Range" number showing at the end of the 24 hour periood from the "Mile Range" number showing before unplugging, then
(3) Dividing the result of step (2) by the "Mile Range" number before unplugging.

I am doing this now on my new Model S and am interested in what others are seeing.

I have logged a few data points (see http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...sumption-of-Your-EV/page2?p=256023#post256023

Idle Power Loss v01-18-13.JPG