Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got home from work and plugged in to my HPWC. I normally get 47/48 A 37 mph charge at 12kw an hour. In the middle of the night the wind was owing hard and the lights flickered on and off for about 10 seconds. I went out to the garage to check, and the car had some errors thrown up about closing the port and stepping on the brake. I unplugged, did that, and held in the reset button on the HPWC. plugged in and it started checking, the charging, except now it's at 11kw and 44A. Is this normal for it to reduce for protection and it will increase later or could something be amiss?

Did you try to manually adjust the current back up? With power fluctuations, it's possible that when power turned back on, the car perceived bad power quality (too much voltage drop) and lowered the limit. It happened once to my car, it dropped to 30A, but once I manually adjusted back to 40A (mobile connector max) it's been there since.

PS) I assume you reset the car's IVI and cluster computers.

Last edited:
Did you try to manually adjust the current back up? With power fluctuations, it's possible that when power turned back on, the car perceived bad power quality (too much voltage drop) and lowered the limit. It happened once to my car, it dropped to 30A, but once I manually adjusted back to 40A (mobile connector max) it's been there since.

PS) I assume you reset the car's IVI and cluster computers.
It looks like my power company is experiencing a partial outage. Single phase outage. I flipped the breaker off when I found out and waiting for them to fix it on their end.

The HPWC (and other 240V appliances) use both phases, so if you have a single phase outage the HPWC will stop working entirely, not work at a slightly reduced capacity.

It’s possible that if your car was mostly charged that it simply was starting to taper the current back a bit as it does as the battery gets to a higher SOC

The HPWC (and other 240V appliances) use both phases, so if you have a single phase outage the HPWC will stop working entirely, not work at a slightly reduced capacity.

It’s possible that if your car was mostly charged that it simply was starting to taper the current back a bit as it does as the battery gets to a higher SOC
It was only at 55% out of a 90% limit. It was definitely reduced and the occasional message would pop up to close port and press the brake. I ended up just unplugging and shutting the breaker off as I don't know any other way half of the power would go out and the other half say, especially since the hue lights would dim and flicker.

It was only at 55% out of a 90% limit. It was definitely reduced and the occasional message would pop up to close port and press the brake. I ended up just unplugging and shutting the breaker off as I don't know any other way half of the power would go out and the other half say, especially since the hue lights would dim and flicker.
Is it fixed now? Also, do you remember what voltage your car was showing when it was broken?

Over the last several years, we've had two power incidents that required repairs for our S P85.

The first time, the power company had an incident that cause a surge which damaged the secondary charger of our P85 and also something in the local power distribution. After this incident, only the primary charger (the early cars had dual 40A chargers) would work, limiting max charging to 40A - and when we connected to the power (through the HPWC, 14-50 outlet or standard 110 outlet), charging would run for a few minutes and stop. After lengthy discussions with Tesla and the local power company, the power company determined they was interference in the power, causing problems with Tesla chargers in the area - and after about a week they found the damaged equipment on their end and got us working again. And after Tesla replaced the failed onboard charger, we were able to again charge at 80A.

The second time was during Hurricane Harvey. We had another surge after the hurricane went through and we lost power. When power was restored our P85 gave us warning about charging. After several tries (connect/disconnect, power cycle the car), we were able to get the car charged. But when we evacuated to Austin, and the car refused to charge at the hotel's HPWC, Tesla had to repair the charging circuit.

We have surge protectors installed in the breaker boxes for the rest of the house - but not in the box we are using for the Tesla chargers.

When we had the first problem with the P85, Tesla claimed the onboard hardware had built-in surge protection, and that we shouldn't have to install any additional protection - the car should be able to handle variations in the power.

It's possible Tesla has added that protection after our P85 (VIN 3xxx) was built - because our S 100D wasn't affected by the power surge during Harvey.

However, after our P85 has now had two power-related incidents, and it's getting close to the end of our 100K mile warranty, we may have a surge protector added into the breaker panel for the Tesla charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F
Is it fixed now? Also, do you remember what voltage your car was showing when it was broken?
Yes. They called us and we flipped the breaker back on. Charging on hpwc at 48 amps 12kw an hour. There were several errors. One was green and said close charge port and press brake. One was yellow and said charging cable is connected to an extension cord power reduced. One was something about unable to charge and also yellow. Dropped to 40 amps and 10 to 11 kwh but after the first flicker the ramp up was also super slow. After the second time it went out I took out the charger and turned off the breaker as I hear half of your power going out is a bad thing.