Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model X price will be reduced to $78K in January 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you sell, yes. MX and MS prices have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY this year. A real shame for those who want/need to sell.
The trade off though is you can buy new vehicles MUCH cheaper than 2 years ago.

On the flip side 2 years ago, people were selling their used vehicles for more than they purchased. But any new vehicle was expensive and going for way more than MSRP.

So most people will have both a savings and a cost to now changing vehicles. The people who actually need to reduce the number of vehicles they own would have more of a problem though.

With Tesla, it’s all possible. Lot of Tesla owners were pretty upset Jan 2023, I know I was. I had bought my Y for $64K early 2022. That hurt. I almost swore off Tesla. You know, screw me once shame on you, screw me twice….

But I don’t know how much lower the X can go, but wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more room. But wow, as a customer finding out one overpaid to the tune of $50K would make me never want to buy a Tesla again.

Come Jan, the rebate will be point of sale. The question is whether it stays at $7500. If anything, it would be better that way since your loan would potential be smaller, along with interest paid.

I’ve always felt the X is about a $70K car, and we‘re here now after tax rebate. I think I’m going to wait and roll the dice And just wait. If it goes back up in price, then oh well, guess I’m not buying one. But if it goes down, i wont be angry with Tesla again. :p
As a 2022 MYLR owner (priced $56,990), I felt the same about never buying a Tesla again after the January’s price bomb. But if the MX LR price drops again before Q2 2024, I might rethink that. I got a very early reservation number for a Volvo EX90 (during their announcement event Nov 2022). They say well equipped for under $80K. I just want a 3 row EV SUV with decent space. If MX 6 or 7 seater can be had for under $80K, then I would buy another Tesla with additional $1K loyalty discount.

That's somewhat my problem. They assigned a new one to me about a week ago. When I checked I saw that it came over the pond back in April, so produced sometime in March...

I need one in September/October and would like one with Matrix lights which were only produced starting in June/July. Kinda feels like it will take a while to clear the European inventory before new ones will be sent over.

I'm hoping the Matrix can be retrofitted as some people mentioned, that could be an option if I would get a good discount on an inventory model.

You can rent a car (long term rent) for the interim if you really need, the plaid price difference in EU will more than pay for the rent. If you are going for the LR the price is not so much off, but definitely check out end of quarter discounts and offers.

Reactions: WhiteCHX
That's somewhat my problem. They assigned a new one to me about a week ago. When I checked I saw that it came over the pond back in April, so produced sometime in March...

I need one in September/October and would like one with Matrix lights which were only produced starting in June/July. Kinda feels like it will take a while to clear the European inventory before new ones will be sent over.

I'm hoping the Matrix can be retrofitted as some people mentioned, that could be an option if I would get a good discount on an inventory model.
The same with me (also CH).
In August, I was assigned an X LR (7SAXCBE52PF3690XX) that was produced sometime in March and has been sitting around somewhere ever since.
I have rejected the assignment and will now probably be assigned a new vehicle at the beginning of September.

Now I expect Tesla to give me the price reduction further, otherwise I will cancel and order again on the end of Q4.

As far as I know, no LRs with matrix lights have arrived in Europe yet.

Yes, Tesla's 'dynamic price adjustments' can definitely impact resale values. But I don't get the sense that Tesla cares much about the used/CPO vehicle market. Even 'ownership loyalty' is limited to an occasional trade-in credit/incentive.

Elon feels Teslas are already very desirable, and price reductions are one way to unlock sales volume. I guess time will tell if this is the right strategy!
Tesla could care less about owner loyalty.
No impact whatsoever.

I got a new Model 3 for my son and wanted itdreliverd to Merritt Island, FL instead of 3.5 hours away in Ft. Meyers, FL. Nope.
I said, "Hey, this is my 9th Tesla since 2014".
Response, "So".

They don't give a rat's ass.

You can rent a car (long term rent) for the interim if you really need, the plaid price difference in EU will more than pay for the rent. If you are going for the LR the price is not so much off, but definitely check out end of quarter discounts and offers.
You're right. I have been renting since we've ordered the car in early '21. Thought it would be for 6 months. Since we've ordered we had a child and will be having our second child soon and need the space. It's also a question of safety why I want to have that Tesla.

1st world "problem", I know.

It's still a scam for the Plaid as the 6-seat interior is not included for X even though it is not an option. Right direction though, but I will hold my horses.

You're wrong. It's the only option included. Also, there's now only a $3K difference between the LR and the Plaid with 6 seats. They're literally giving away the Plaid upgrade for nearly free.

No impact whatsoever.

I got a new Model 3 for my son and wanted itdreliverd to Merritt Island, FL instead of 3.5 hours away in Ft. Meyers, FL. Nope.
Response, "So".

Yeah the policy of moving cars between locations stopped around early 2022 (or very late 2021). I've found that policy weird but Tesla is ran by robot and rules are never bent. Back then if you had an (10 month old) order at location X and location Y had the exact config... they wouldn't even match you. It was all about cost-cutting and preventing the expense of moving cars around - only to have them rejected at delivery or abandoned by the potential buyer.

No impact whatsoever.

Response, "So".

Ft myers is a meh sales/delivery location (our family is at 9 too).

if I have a question I go to Naples store who are great and give a rats ass (my contact would respond before and after store hours).

Thus month i was able to get a vehicle diverted to ft myers from Tampa by working through Naples.

Ordered an X in inventory a few hours, only one I saw within 200 miles under 80k so had to go with White which wasn't my first choice but is ok. Submitted trade in for my M3P I bought in January, hoping I can get a decent price before a flood of highland trade ins start getting submitted.

80k - 43k KBB estimate - 7500 tax credit = $29k to upgrade..... Pretty great deal really. I'd have preferred a 3rd row and would have done 10k for the Plaid but its not worth also losing the tax crediy.

I wonder if I could upgrade X with under 1k miles to plaid for not too much? Then I could both get tax credit but also back into a Plaid.

Will really miss the M3P, great car and some tracks I took it on that won't allow SUVs. MX is soo much more practical though and should be much better with resale.
BE CAREFUL

Inventory vehicles ARE NOT eligible for the Tax credit. The IRS only bases the tax credit on MSRP and MSRP for the vehicle you mention is above $80K
It is not based on the sale price. MSRP only, so new factory orders only.

Sorry, I tried the same thing and found out before I pulled the trigger.

PLAID is three motors and NOT a software upgrade.

BE CAREFUL

Inventory vehicles ARE NOT eligible for the Tax credit. The IRS only bases the tax credit on MSRP and MSRP for the vehicle you mention is above $80K

Why wouldn’t a brand new inventory vehicle below $80k not qualify for the tax credit? That’s doesn’t make any sense.

BE CAREFUL

Why wouldn’t a brand new inventory vehicle below $80k not qualify for the tax credit? That’s doesn’t make any sense.

If the MSRP is lets say $82k but there is a strike through in the inventory page with a reduction to a sale price of $79k the vehicle will NOT qualify for the tax credit. It will show $82k MSRP then later in the purchase agreement a discount. So the line you want to confirm is the subtotal of the vehicle order agreement and eventually line 1 of the MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement).

However that is not my situation, there is no discount listed in the vehicle subtotal, its $79,990. That's the price when I selected the specific vehicle in inventory as well as the price if you configure the exact vehicle for a new order, as well as whats on my order agreement. When I receive the MVPA I'll double check before completing the sale.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger and voxel

It does if the MSRP is below $80K. But a dealer mark down for an MSRP above $80k doesn't qualify just as a dealer markup on a vehicle that has an MSRP below $80K where the markup raised it above $80K does qualify. i.e it has nothing to do with what you actually paid but rather the MSRP of the vehicle as configured.

I do wonder, however, if Tesla could sell the Plaid software limited below $80K and then offer a $10K upgrade after the fact but they'd have to sell the more expensive hardware for less to make that work and hope there are enough takers to software unlock it.

Making sense is not a goal of the IRS. They go by the figure on the MSRP sticker and not by what you pay for the car. Therefore, the only way you can get it to $79,990 is by ordering in. I have not seen an inventory car with an MSRP under $80,000. They don't exist. Just don't get caught up and lose your tax credit. I lost mine on my MYP last year that way.

And, of course if you order it, the only option for interior color is BLACK. Choice of Cream or White will put it over the $80,000 IRS MSRP limit.

Last edited:
It does if the MSRP is below $80K. But a dealer mark down for an MSRP above $80k doesn't qualify just as a dealer markup on a vehicle that has an MSRP below $80K where the markup raised it above $80K does qualify. i.e it has nothing to do with what you actually paid but rather the MSRP of the vehicle as configured.

I do wonder, however, if Tesla could sell the Plaid software limited below $80K and then offer a $10K upgrade after the fact but they'd have to sell the more expensive hardware for less to make that work and hope there are enough takers to software unlock it.
The PLAID on the X is more than software. It involves three motors instead of two.