Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be interesting to see who they compare closer to. BMW 340xi is pushing 51k for leather, paint, sunroof, tech package. The Audi A4 you can get a A4 Premium Plus with Leather, sunroof, full LED lights, Auto, AWD, B&O sound, paint for $47,500

All I was trying to do was take Elon's predictions of average price and then figure out what options an average consumer would want on their Model 3. I can't wait to find out! After all like the rest of us I am just taking a stab in the dark.

The Audi competitor to the 340i is the S4 not the A4. A4 competes with 328i.

I think price averages will run higher than many here will be comfortable with and I had not seen Tesla confirm cloth upholstery on model 3 which is quite a low rent choice (Mercedes MBTEX is much better than cloth in my opinion and is standard in US market).

I suspect AWD, extended battery range, autopilot, moonroof, leather is going to be bumping into $50-$55K territory but that is just my guess;

$35,000 base
$1000 premium paint
$2,000 premium interior
$7,500 AWD + mid-range battery.
$2,500 autopilot.
$1500 moonroof.

$50,000 and I think I'm guessing on the low side.

I predict that Tesla's drive to be an industry leader, their focus on streamlining costs, and their confidence in their future scale will lead to "surprisingly affordable" prices—at least to this enthusiast audience—when they are revealed. This is, after all, a car primarily positioned as "the car for the mainstream" and not a continuation of prior premium positioning and modest production scale. Tesla will set prices like they have a 500K production rate and thus guarantee that they get there, a bit of a virtuous cycle. They will not exploit the early buyers and wait to lower prices when full production rate is achieved; this would predictably lead to ill will. Instead, they will price the same during the campaign to reach 500K. They will understand that as long as consumer interest is rabid, Wall Street will grumble but will forgive short-term impact on margins.

This will lead to a bit of an "options rush," especially as confidence grows in Tesla's ability to be able to time production to exploit the tax break. It will be like when you are in a restaurant and the manager gives you a price break on your meal and you bump up the tip you were planning to give your server; people will get a few more options than they normal would without the tax break.

I expect the second reveal to be pretty inspiring, leading to a "mini-panic" over buying enough options to ensure a good delivery date. I think the big demand will be "Can you tell us exactly which options will speed up or slow down our order?" Despite this, I think the base interior will be of such an appealing nature that most will very satisfied with it, and that "take rates" of any premium interior upgrade will be lower than for BMW's 3 Series luxury upgrade. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one sort of upgrade (random, but luxury strikes me as a valid candidate) lags a bit in terms of production validation or disproportionate "takt time" on the floor and actually might hurt delivery time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla upgrades the standard conductors and electronics so that performance and Ludo are soft options once you have the correct motors, either base or upgraded (it's what I would do, less complexity and more common scale). Perhaps they'll even do away with having two different rear motors (one base and one performance), and just make "single or dual motor" the only hardware-based performance option. So you'd choose to move to dual motors, and then the performance upgrade(s) would be soft, just like the (surprisingly) recent 5K battery upgrade.

I predict a solid majority of reservations are for cars that will price out < ~ $40K. The nature of the mainstream demand curve.

Finally, I predict that a max perf 3 will be below $60K, but not surpass the P90D in 0-60 times.
Can you please expand on what you mean by the "recent 5K battery upgrade?"

Thanks

Play around with this:
Build Your Own
And you can see what the Model 3 is (or will be) up against. When I was done I was right at $39K.
Robin

Well, you didn't have all wheel drive or drivers assistance plus (the BMW autopilot like features), so $39K probably is similar to the price you will end up with for the Model 3. Just to get those two things without a single additional option and you're starting at 46K. I was up well over 50K in no time configuring a 3 series how I plan to get my Model 3.

I think price averages will run higher than many here will be comfortable with and I had not seen Tesla confirm cloth upholstery on model 3 which is quite a low rent choice (Mercedes MBTEX is much better than cloth in my opinion and is standard in US market).

I suspect AWD, extended battery range, autopilot, moonroof, leather is going to be bumping into $50-$55K territory but that is just my guess;

$35,000 base
$1000 premium paint
$2,000 premium interior
$2,500 autopilot.
$1500 moonroof.

AWD alone is probably $4k so $7500 for a battery and AWD is super low. The rest of your prices seem fine.

I personally expect $35k will be pretty base.
Electric seats $1000
Leater seats $1500
Nav /internet access $1500
Supercharger $2000.

So that is about what $42k will get you. I don't know why so many people think Tesla can magically make a S for $35k even if it is a little smaller/lighter and "mass produced".

The base BMW 3 series is pretty stripped and very few people buy one. Why would the 3 be much different?

I personally think they could sell all they could produce until 2020 even if ASP is $55k. There are tons of buyers ready for a nice electric for $55k - probably 200,000 a year in the US alone and 400,000 worldwide.

So many people here are saying they won't buy one if it gets that expensive. I say - don't worry - there are lots of people in the world who will. Technically there are 3,000,000 1%ers in the US alone.....

Reactions: electracity

$35,000 base
$1000 premium paint
$2,000 premium interior
$2,500 autopilot.
$1500 moonroof.

I think paint winds up being quite a bit lower than that. Audi charges $575 for metallic on the A4. BMW $565 on the 3 series. $1000 is way over the closest competing vehicles. I think $750 at most.

Ok, I told myself I would not bite, but here it goes: If you look at the most current Model S configurator, you can easily spend over $30K on options. I do not expect those to be "priced lower" for the model 3, so I agree with most posters that a fully loaded Model 3 will easily be in the $65 to $70K range.

Ok, I told myself I would not bite, but here it goes: If you look at the most current Model S configurator, you can easily spend over $30K on options. I do not expect those to be "priced lower" for the model 3, so I agree with most posters that a fully loaded Model 3 will easily be in the $65 to $70K range.

A maxed out S is 70K or so over base. I'm doubting a maxed out 3 will be 70K over base. Some options will be cheaper (we already know dual motors will be) and some options will probably not be available.

Ludicrous will probably be $10K. I think the high price could be $80K if they can fit a big battery in the car. Ludicrous plus big battery could put the car at $60K. Easy to get above $70k. Those nice wheels and 20" tires shown at the preview can't be inexpensive.

I suppose some options like air suspension could be less expensive on the model 3 compared to the bigger cars.

$35,000 base
$1000 premium paint
$2,000 premium interior
$2,500 autopilot.
$1500 moonroof.

That would be great, but I suspect $10K +

I've got it... My prediction for the Model 3, the killer feature: capacitors in between the battery and motor. This is probably the easiest way in a smaller battery pack to offer ludicrous power levels and still maintain the goal of longer range.

If not now then in the Roadster 2.0 to achieve Maximum Plaid...

Reactions: CarlitoDoc
Has anyone done the math on just how much of a charge those solar panels can provide? If they're just on the roof above the charging areas, my guess is that they can't even produce enough power for 1 full charge every day.

Assuming the footprint of a Tesla parking space is 15' x 10' and a panel angle of 15° due South, that gives us 155 ft² of panel space. Which could produce about 2.8 kW of power, a small fraction of the 120 kW of instantaneous power that the Supercharger requires. It could produce between 10 and 23 kWh of energy per day (depending on location), so about 15% of a charge per day.

So, yes, the solar panels will need to cover more than just the parking spaces taken up by the station itself. They will probably need to cover the entire parking lot that the Supercharger station is in, thus shading all the other cars and preventing them from heating up, and needing energy for AC.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: Booga
It would be interesting to have an idea of how many reservationists view the tax credit as a deal breaker item. I am treating the tax credit as an unexpected bonus should I fall within the parameters. I am not budgeting for it however. Don't know how many would feel differently.

Dan

I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker for me, moreso that it would move the timeline on when I decide to purchase the car. I don't necessarily need to buy a Model 3 as soon as it is released. My current car is working just fine and probably will be for the next several years. Unless the stock market spikes heavily or something within the next few years, I probably won't have the $42k+ or so to buy the Model 3 with the options I want cash, so I most likely will need to finance a portion of the car. Put those together and there isn't a reason for me to buy the car ASAP. I'd rather just save up and buy it at the optimal time for me. However, with the tax credit, there is incentive for me to buy the car ASAP. Of course, the price of the options I want would determine whether it's feasible to get the car early with the tax credit, or wait and save some more for it. I'm sure I'm not the only person here using that line of thinking...

Reactions: Topher
I've got it... My prediction for the Model 3, the killer feature: capacitors in between the battery and motor. This is probably the easiest way in a smaller battery pack to offer ludicrous power levels and still maintain the goal of longer range.
Sure, if you ignore the fact that capacitors are generally a hundred times larger and ten times as expensive as a battery that holds the same energy. ;)
What’s the Difference Between Batteries and Capacitors?

Sure, if you ignore the fact that capacitors are generally a hundred times larger and ten times as expensive as a battery that holds the same energy. ;)

Some capacitors would improve the performance of a naively made BEV. The efficiency losses for very short term storage are much lower with capacitors, so put a few in as the first thing that gets charged during regenerative braking.

Thank you kindly.

You don't need to hold nearly the same energy... you only need enough for initial acceleration (probably under 1.5 - 2 kW would work fine). The cost is actually lower than you think as well. The goal is to augment the battery to provide max amps for the motor. You can blow away ludicrous mode and use the motor's full potential instead of being limited to 1500 Amps.

• Disagree
Reactions: anhnguyen and garsh
You don't need to hold nearly the same energy... you only need enough for initial acceleration (probably under 1.5 - 2 kW would work fine). The cost is actually lower than you think as well. The goal is to augment the battery to provide max amps for the motor. You can blow away ludicrous mode and use the motor's full potential instead of being limited to 1500 Amps.

Makes sense, but highly doubt the M3 would ever see this given it's not even an option on S/X. If Tesla ever does do this, I'd think it would start out on S/X. And I'd also expect to pay dearly for it as an option.