Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Upgrades Package no longer includes phone dock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boaterva

Supporting Member
I happened to note that the current language on the Model X configurator calls the phone dock an 'optional accessory' (perhaps it always did, since it technically is), so I looked at the contents of the PUP, and it's no longer there.

upload_2017-8-19_12-47-28.png

upload_2017-8-19_12-44-39.png

In the accessories store, the dock is available, and says (maybe just not updated for the 'new' PUP?) that it's part of the PUP as always....

Model S/X Quick Connection Phone Dock

upload_2017-8-19_12-45-45.png

So, not sure what's going on now. Is this like the 72 Amp charger where it's included but not stated? Since I don't think anyone has taken delivery of a 'new PUP' car, guess I need to ask my DS!

Man, what a moving target.... :D

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Look under Standard Equipment -> Technology The last line says

Phone dock available as optional accessory

I take that to mean they will install it if you want it. When I bought my S, the PUP came with both the Android and iOS plugs and they installed the one to fit our phones while we waited. The other one was left in the glove box. We also had the option to have none if we wanted that. The charger dock does take up a USB slot and my S only has two.

• Helpful
Reactions: njxman
Look under Standard Equipment -> Technology The last line says

Phone dock available as optional accessory

I take that to mean they will install it if you want it. When I bought my S, the PUP came with both the Android and iOS plugs and they installed the one to fit our phones while we waited. The other one was left in the glove box. We also had the option to have none if we wanted that. The charger dock does take up a USB slot and my S only has two.
Yes, I know. That is in my post. :)

That means you have to pay for it, no? It used to be included and they would install it for you, as you say.

So now you have to pay extra? Weird.

To me the optional accessory sounds like it could now be a separate cost-item? Maybe they took it out from the PUP to save a bit of cost and delivery hassle? Of course it is also possible they simplified the PUP wording or made the phone dock standard for all who want it...

Oh the constant changes...

(Q1/2017 comparison: For me the phone dock was also installed, the asked which cable and which way to put it in if Android. Then the rest of the unused parts were included in a cardboard box.)

Reactions: boaterva
IMO the phone dock could be completely left to the user as well. It is very easy to install and remove (it has an aftermarket quality to it, after all), they could just throw in the box of parts and be done with it... I guess they've tried to add a bit of premium service feel through that small customization bit, but I would have been just as happy taking the parts and single-sheet instructions...

Reactions: boaterva
IMO the phone dock could be completely left to the user as well. It is very easy to install and remove (it has an aftermarket quality to it, after all), they could just throw in the box of parts and be done with it... I guess they've tried to add a bit of premium service feel through that small customization bit, but I would have been just as happy taking the parts and single-sheet instructions...
Yeah, me too. I'll post what response i get from my DS. But as usual, some more clarity on the website would be nice (I'm looking at you, 72-Amp charger! :D ).

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
To me the optional accessory sounds like it could now be a separate cost-item? Maybe they took it out from the PUP to save a bit of cost and delivery hassle? Of course it is also possible they simplified the PUP wording or made the phone dock standard for all who want it...

Oh the constant changes...

(Q1/2017 comparison: For me the phone dock was also installed, the asked which cable and which way to put it in if Android. Then the rest of the unused parts were included in a cardboard box.)

Interesting. Q1/2017 delivery as well, but mine did not come installed. Everything was in a box in the frunk.

Honestly, you aren't missing much. The dock is basically just a phone wire with a plastic mount. I bought it on the online store for under $50.
Yeah, we know. The point is the lack of clarity and consistency in communication. Which is a common thread on the website. And, I'll even probably tell my DS to not even install it, as I will be using ProClip so I can actually *see* my iPhone near me up on the dash. But the point is, that the inclusion of the dock is not explicitly stated. As the 72 Amp charger inclusion for 100's isn't stated. Etc.!

If you go to the Tesla store to purchase the quick connector:

Note: For use with Integrated Center Console, the phone dock is not a service-installed accessory. The Quick Connection Phone Dock is included with the premium upgrades package on custom Model S and Model X vehicle orders.

Included on PUP custom orders....

If you go to the Tesla store to purchase the quick connector:

Note: For use with Integrated Center Console, the phone dock is not a service-installed accessory. The Quick Connection Phone Dock is included with the premium upgrades package on custom Model S and Model X vehicle orders.

Included on PUP custom orders....
As I said in OP. :D

The point is/was that you can't trust anything you read anymore... My DS says it's still included. We shall see and I'll keep in the box and may just use the cable.

So, here’s another chapter in this mess! I just took delivery and my DS said they have had (final? Lol) guidance from Palo Alto that the cell phone dock is NOT included in the PUP now, just as the PUP listing (doesn’t) say. It’s not on the list on purpose.

There is still some confusion because, as we’ve noted, the accessory page for the cell phone kit says it is included (has not been updated). I still talked him I nto one since he had promised me one. Anyone in a similar boat (current order) can probably get one but I’d not depend on one for future orders!

what a load of crock. The PUP listing also doesn't include 4 doors, 4 wheels, 2 keys, and so on. BUT, the accessory page DOES list that the Accessory Dock is included with PUP if ordered on a custom car.

It's not like they haven't devalued the PUP package anyway for 6k.

By the way, Boatvera, we used to live in DC for 8 years. We moved to arizona several years ago. We lived in Foggy bottom area. You saying Tysons brings back memories! Used to go to Tysons all the time. Is Tesla in the actual mall? Or just around there?