Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pretty stoked about this powered frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems I've read that these powered Frunks tend to show issues after longer periods of time, not initially. (To be honest, cant recall which brand if that matters).Anyone had one of these on for say, several months? If so, any issues with latching/adjustments going out of whack?
will see...we've only had it for at most a couple of weeks...so far its been great. the frunk is much more useful now that I don't have to close it gingerly...

Reactions: N1L CO2
For those of you who have installed these on your Y, is there a good place for the module and motor? When I installed the Hansshow kit on my X, there was no mention of where to mount those so it was sort of just find a spot and zip tie it. I'm leaning towards the TO kit as they explicitly mention it is waterproof. With my Hansshow, I wrapped the modules in plastic before I mounted them.

For those of you who have installed these on your Y, is there a good place for the module and motor? When I installed the Hansshow kit on my X, there was no mention of where to mount those so it was sort of just find a spot and zip tie it. I'm leaning towards the TO kit as they explicitly mention it is waterproof. With my Hansshow, I wrapped the modules in plastic before I mounted them.

I put it on top of the wiper fill tube. The reason being, if something goes wrong and the frunk won't open I can easily get to it from the wheel well.

I installed the TO kit this morning. Not sure why some are saying this is a 3 hr job because it took me about 3 hrs however I had no clue what I was doing. Between watching the video and reading instruction for the MK3 when they differ from my MK4 I figured this out. Lots of back and forth to the computer, printing out material, scratching my head and analyzing back and forth checking this site for tips. I could easily do this in an hour taking my time now that I have an install behind my belt.

Everything is top quality, connectors, struts, cables and water tight boxes. Will evaluate but can only do this with time.

I installed the TO kit this morning. Not sure why some are saying this is a 3 hr job because it took me about 3 hrs however I had no clue what I was doing. Between watching the video and reading instruction for the MK3 when they differ from my MK4 I figured this out. Lots of back and forth to the computer, printing out material, scratching my head and analyzing back and forth checking this site for tips. I could easily do this in an hour taking my time now that I have an install behind my belt.

Everything is top quality, connectors, struts, cables and water tight boxes. Will evaluate but can only do this with time.

Everybody is saying it is a 3 hour job because it is their first time installing it too, and likely anybody installing it themselves will be doing it for the first time. The second one I installed went much faster.

The reason I brought up the 3 hrs is it was mentioned $250 would be a fair installation cost and assumed this is for 3hrs of work not 1and honestly someone with a few behind there belt will do this in 45 minutes. That would be paying $250/hr+ which is a rip off. Installation is very easy once you know how. I would say $100 installation fee is a fair price to pay. This is much simpler than installing an after market radio and requires much less knowledge/experience. Would be even easier for a first timer if they showed all the plug-in connections in real time with commentary as opposed to time lapse in their video.

The reason I brought up the 3 hrs is it was mentioned $250 would be a fair installation cost and assumed this is for 3hrs of work not 1and honestly someone with a few behind there belt will do this in 45 minutes. That would be paying $250/hr+ which is a rip off. Installation is very easy once you know how. I would say $100 installation fee is a fair price to pay. This is much simpler than installing an after market radio and requires much less knowledge/experience. Would be even easier for a first timer if they showed all the plug-in connections in real time with commentary as opposed to time lapse in their video.
Any install tips? My kit is arriving this Wednesday. Hope to do the install next weekend.

To be clear on my comments on the $250 install price point, while I wouldn't do the install for somebody else for $250 I also wouldn't pay somebody to do the install for me $250.

Most of not doing the install for $250 is how beat up my forearms and hand are. Even with experience doing the job, this is going to occur. And while a long sleeve shirt helped I still have multiple bruises on my forearms from working the driver's side strut. The long sleeves may have actually made that worse, while they protected against scrapes they also take up space making the pressure points worse.

I look at it from the perspective of someone with limited/no mechanical ability, no tools, and no place to do the install (like an apartment dweller). They’re paying for the installer’s previous experience, their tools, and maybe their installation shop. There is also typically some limited warranty on the installation in case things stop working. $250 isn’t out of line at all IMO.

That said, I wouldn’t pay $250 and I wouldn’t do it for $250.

I also put the control box on top of the washer fluid fill tube. I zip-tied the motor behind a left structural piece as suggested in the install instructions. I like the control box on top so I can easily access it for any future firmware updates. There is PLENTY of wire to put the box on top, and neatly zip-tie the wires to the existing loom.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this!

Placed the order on 11/20, received the unit on 12/6. Unsure if my box came with the latest firmware, contacted Telsa Offer and Raymond confirmed the latest firmware is installed. Installation took ~3 hours, but can def. be faster second time around. OEM quality, would defiantly recommend!

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Ruffles
Just a heads up and probably something that should be mentioned in their manual.

Had a small issue today with the TO unit. I washed the car and left both frunk and trunk open a few hours to let things dry up as I did wash the plastic in the frunk area. When I went to close it, the latch clicked but the frunk would not go down, trunk worked fine. Tried the app, tried my watch, tried the light/button in the frunk, tried the touch screen, nada. Manually lowered it a few inches, nada. Closed it manually all the way clicking it shut and tried once again, voila, opened as it should and closes as it should. Figured I'd mention this in case it happens to others. One can easily just pull the frunk down and latch just like it used to work without the kit installed FYI.

I think the car fell asleep after so much time which threw it out of sequence. Manually closing and latching it brought it back into sequence. Probably would happen no matter whos kit is was as the car only knows the unlatch function as delivered and programmed by Tesla.

Probably can be addressed with a software update assuming the struts have a way of comunicating their position then again the struts are probably rather basic.

Last edited:
Just a heads up and probably something that should be mentioned in their manual.

Had a small issue today with the TO unit. I washed the car and left both frunk and trunk open a few hours to let things dry up as I did wash the plastic in the frunk area. When I went to close it, the latch clicked but the frunk would not go down, trunk worked fine. Tried the app, tried my watch, tried the light/button in the frunk, tried the touch screen, nada. Manually lowered it a few inches, nada. Closed it manually all the way clicking it shut and tried once again, voila, opened as it should and closes as it should. Figured I'd mention this in case it happens to others. One can easily just pull the frunk down and latch just like it used to work without the kit installed FYI.

I think the car fell asleep after so much time which threw it out of sequence. Manually closing and latching it brought it back into sequence. Probably would happen no matter whos kit is was as the car only knows the unlatch function as delivered and programmed by Tesla.

Probably can be addressed with a software update assuming the struts have a way of comunicating their position then again the struts are probably rather basic.

I talked to them already about this bug. When the controller wakes from sleep it assumes it is closed. It is a bug they are aware of. I would think it would be fairly easily resolved on the MARK 4 opener with its sensor to detect where the loop on the hood is.

Also the struts have two sets of wires coming from them. I was assuming that the second set was some kind of position sensor wiring.

Come to think about it, there is a height adjustment which I did not fiddle with however this would imply the struts know how extended they are.

Sure sounds like a simple software fix by having the frunk close upon a command if struts are anywhere except fully retracted.

Last edited: