Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just heard wk057 does this on the east coast.

Contact | HSR Motors

Below via: UPDATE: Tesla Cars Have A Memory Problem That May Cost You A Lot To Repair
XB6yvMF.jpg

Well Looks like my testing of pushing my original emmc may be coming to a end...

This afternoon my mcu may have went black and not come back... Good thing I know someone who can fix this. 149,1xx miles and about 6 years. Will update status later.

Again I was testing to see how long my emmc can last. I don't recommend other do this. I have verified my backups and ready to rebuild it.

Turns out my eMMC is not dead. And it's healthy enough to keep running. Was not booting up due to 12V battery not being charged since I have a HV Isolation issue. Car is headed to Tesla for repair, eMMC will keep on running!

Looks like the eMMC in pre-AP cars lasts much longer? My 2013 is also still on the original MCU and I haven't noticed any symptoms of it going bad.
Maybe the size of the firmware build for non-AP cars is smaller. My understanding is that the eMMC failure is caused by a combination of excessive logging and ever larger firmware builds, which fill up the stock eMMC, leaving less empty space for wear levelling.

Maybe the size of the firmware build for non-AP cars is smaller. My understanding is that the eMMC failure is caused by a combination of excessive logging and ever larger firmware builds, which fill up the stock eMMC, leaving less empty space for wear levelling.

And Internet streaming audio. So maybe people that only use USB media have a longer lasting MCU?

Last edited:
I streamed constantly on my original MCU1. It lasted 18 months and about 35,000 miles. Sample of one.
06-2017 X 100D (purchased 12-2017: service loaner)
I use Tesla AT&T internet Slacker streaming constantly on my original MCU1. I am not experiencing any problems that I know of.
23 months and 45,600 miles (but purchased with 4,000 on it). Sample one of two.

Last edited:
any idea if streaming audio via Bluetooth causes excessive logging?

Feb 2013 Tesla S. 140000 km. Constant use of streaming music. No MCU issue. Slacker streaming music is all we listen to.

Had a 3rd party app installed on Linux constantly polling Tesla API for about 6 months a few years ago which kept MCU active.
Replaced my need for data with 3g cell network OBDII dongle from FleetCarma to monitor car, which doesn't keep the Tesla MCU active.

Firmware sizes for AP and non AP are the same. Generally 1 gig. I don't know that original ones last longer... Possibly but I don't think so.

Thanks to all for wealth of information in this thread, I've been following it since the beginning for informational purposes. My question is not completely related to eMMC replacement but in the same realm and because there are so many knowledgeable minds in this thread, I hope it fits:

Is there a possibility to upgrade MCU1 CPU? I mean, on a PC you can swap a CPU to a faster one with the same socket. Is there a faster compatible CPU for MCU1? If yes, is it possible to swap them?

...Is there a possibility to upgrade MCU1 CPU?...
This would be an extraordinary undertaking for very little benefit. There is a newer Tegra module card but Tesla has non standard pins. The processor itself is soldered, not socketed and if you replaced it directly it appearantly requires different supporting chips, hence the different sub board. Also there is some debate as to whether that chip would run Tesla compiled software properly: probably not.

Last edited: