Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price drop on car - Resetting the price on FSD - Anyone else feeling this is highly disingenuous on Tesla's part?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I wish we had not sold our old Model Y - didn't expect it to be sold so quickly. Trade-in offer from Tesla was much lower - so we advertised privately and the car sold in a week!

We could wait a few months - but 6 months may be hard. What's the estimate on HW4? Is it as long as 6-months?
All speculative. There are discussions about radar being released on ai day. People think it will come out then because it times with the hold on the fcc submittal.

Elsewhere musk has stated that upgrades to hw4 will be cost prohibitive.

My over under date if I were betting would be first deployed in cars September 1st, but that is just one uninformed opinion.

Reactions: EV forever
No. Because the base price for their order was already $8k cheaper than the price was in January.
Aug 2022 order should have been base price of $120,990. The Model X did not change price again until the January price cuts to $109,990, a $11,000 decrease.

There were temporary incentives for taking delivery end of Dec 2022 but that doesn’t really count since that was not the original order price and that pricing did not apply to OP since clearly delivery wasn’t done in time.

Reactions: EV forever
I understand. Legally, it is correct that they never said that the FSD price was locked when we placed the order. It's just that when you hear the announcement that Tesla is dropping prices - you expect to see a drop in price of your order, not a balancing out saying base price dropped, but we increased price for the software - so you pay the same.

It is unfortunate that they have stopped honoring the FSD price when they lower the base price. It is a surefire way of losing goodwill of the customers, especially since FSD is pure profit and directly goes to their profit margin. Now we are reconsidering taking delivery and may delay to much later in the year.
Forget the FSD pricing - your real concern should be the hardware. You don't want to take delivery of the X before HW4 is released. S and X are going to be the first ones to get it. I'd gladly pay an additional 3K for the advanced sensors + camera systems. Better still if you can keep the 3K while getting HW4!

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and EV forever
Actually Elon has said multiple times that the Cybertruck will be the first to get HW4. Who knows how far behind the S&X will be.

We might get more details in just over two weeks.
Yes, while that is technically true, I doubt they are going to producing many Cyber trucks anytime soon.

They are going ahead with the paperwork necessary to make the changes for S & X which are likely to see them added sooner I'd imagine.

I understand. Legally, it is correct that they never said that the FSD price was locked when we placed the order. It's just that when you hear the announcement that Tesla is dropping prices - you expect to see a drop in price of your order, not a balancing out saying base price dropped, but we increased price for the software - so you pay the same.

It is unfortunate that they have stopped honoring the FSD price when they lower the base price. It is a surefire way of losing goodwill of the customers, especially since FSD is pure profit and directly goes to their profit margin. Now we are reconsidering taking delivery and may delay to much later in the year.
Give me a break. If the car had two options, widget A & widget B. The company decreased the price of widget A by $1000 and increased widget B by $1000…. Would you expect them to reduce your price because you had previously ordered both A & B?

And I do agree the $15k is not worthwhile at this point, although the subscription price could change.

Last edited:
We have to date owned 3 Tesla's and are in the process of getting ready for delivery for a new Model X. All our previous cars to date have FSD and we have been firm Tesla believers and supporters since 2013. We have paid for FSD for every car, simply because we believe in Tesla and wanted to support the technology - even though we understand even from our own experience that true autonomy is still a few years out. However, current experience dealing with Tesla is leaving us with a bad taste sufficient for us to consider canceling the order at this point.

For the Model X - the order was placed in August 2022 - when the FSD price was 12,000, well before the price increase to 15,000. We have several upgrades in the car, such as paint, white seats etc. making it quite an expensive car. We were quite happy that Tesla dropped prices on the cars, although for the Model X the price drop was really not that significant. This morning we were told to get ready for delivery - that's when we logged in to our account and realized that while the price of the car dropped by ~ 3000, the price for FSD was now 15,000.

We understand Elon's argument that buyers are not expected to write Tesla a check when price goes up after purchase, so buyers should not expect a refund when price goes down later. However, it seems totally inappropriate to apply this argument to FSD pricing. We specifically placed the order in August to lock in the FSD price. It seems highly disingenuous now to increase it to 15,000 claiming that all pricing was reset when the price drops occurred in January. In our minds, we have always considered software pricing to be sperate from pricing for all the other various upgrades and the car price.

For a car that is costing us close to 150K, it may seem that arguing over 3K is pitiful. However, we are now considering that it may be more beneficial to us to cancel the order completely - all we lose is the tiny deposit amount. All indications are that Model X are not selling fast and inventory is building up. If we are paying full price for FSD anyways, we could just wait a few more months and order again later. It is possible there is another price adjustment and there may be more information on HW4 by then.

It is just unfortunate that shenanigans like this are leading us to reconsider when we are ready to take delivery of the car in February. In future, we are also considering paying for monthly subscription for FSD vs paying 15K upfront. We recently sold our 3 year-old Model Y to make room for the Model X - the FSD has zero value when the car is sold, so why bother paying for it upfront?

Has anyone tried to address this with Tesla? Has there been any success in getting the August price for FSD?
The fact that your car won't have USS, unlike the other three Teslas that you've had in the past, how does this make you feel?

• Funny
Reactions: whisperingshad
We have to date owned 3 Tesla's and are in the process of getting ready for delivery for a new Model X. All our previous cars to date have FSD and we have been firm Tesla believers and supporters since 2013. We have paid for FSD for every car, simply because we believe in Tesla and wanted to support the technology - even though we understand even from our own experience that true autonomy is still a few years out. However, current experience dealing with Tesla is leaving us with a bad taste sufficient for us to consider canceling the order at this point.

For the Model X - the order was placed in August 2022 - when the FSD price was 12,000, well before the price increase to 15,000. We have several upgrades in the car, such as paint, white seats etc. making it quite an expensive car. We were quite happy that Tesla dropped prices on the cars, although for the Model X the price drop was really not that significant. This morning we were told to get ready for delivery - that's when we logged in to our account and realized that while the price of the car dropped by ~ 3000, the price for FSD was now 15,000.

We understand Elon's argument that buyers are not expected to write Tesla a check when price goes up after purchase, so buyers should not expect a refund when price goes down later. However, it seems totally inappropriate to apply this argument to FSD pricing. We specifically placed the order in August to lock in the FSD price. It seems highly disingenuous now to increase it to 15,000 claiming that all pricing was reset when the price drops occurred in January. In our minds, we have always considered software pricing to be sperate from pricing for all the other various upgrades and the car price.

For a car that is costing us close to 150K, it may seem that arguing over 3K is pitiful. However, we are now considering that it may be more beneficial to us to cancel the order completely - all we lose is the tiny deposit amount. All indications are that Model X are not selling fast and inventory is building up. If we are paying full price for FSD anyways, we could just wait a few more months and order again later. It is possible there is another price adjustment and there may be more information on HW4 by then.

It is just unfortunate that shenanigans like this are leading us to reconsider when we are ready to take delivery of the car in February. In future, we are also considering paying for monthly subscription for FSD vs paying 15K upfront. We recently sold our 3 year-old Model Y to make room for the Model X - the FSD has zero value when the car is sold, so why bother paying for it upfront?

Has anyone tried to address this with Tesla? Has there been any success in getting the August price for FSD?
You say you are big believers in technology - do you think that your cars have been getting technologically better over time? Your second car lost windshield wipers, the third one lost radar, and the new one will not have USS to help you park it. So from this point of view, the cars have been getting technologically simpler over time. Do you feel like there have been enough advances, from one car to the next, in range and charging speed to compensate for this?

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies and great discussion, it really helped us think through these issues.

For now, we have cancelled our order and plan to wait till March 1st to place a new order for the same configuration with FSD (yes, we will be paying the 15K for it). We will only take delivery if the car has HW4 included with it. @mylapore I agree with you completely, we would gladly pay the 3K extra for the new hardware. Since the car is already damn expensive, another 3K is not that big a deal.

All indications are that HW4 release is imminent and it will be done first in Model X. For those of you interested in which indications I am referring to here, please look through Twitter feeds from @Teslascope and @greentheonly. It is mostly just rumors and speculation, but after following the company for 10 years, we know that this is how it typically starts.

Not sure if I am feeding a troll below, but the cars are a technological marvel as far as we are concerned. We have seen huge improvements since our Model 3 in early 2018 till the most recent Model Y. Further, even the 2018 Model 3 is a better car now than it was when we first bought it - the regular software update just keep improving the car's functionality. Lack of USS in the most recent Model Y wasn't a surprise, and we do miss the beeps while parking - but that is no big deal. The tone of messages quoted below and the fact that poster only joined TMC couple of weeks back suggests to me either a troll or carebear - I usually do not respond to these, but decided to make an exception this time. I want to make it perfectly clear, WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE OUR TESLAs and no other car comes even close to their technological superiority.

The fact that your car won't have USS, unlike the other three Teslas that you've had in the past, how does this make you feel?

You say you are big believers in technology - do you think that your cars have been getting technologically better over time? Your second car lost windshield wipers, the third one lost radar, and the new one will not have USS to help you park it. So from this point of view, the cars have been getting technologically simpler over time. Do you feel like there have been enough advances, from one car to the next, in range and charging speed to compensate for this?

You hope you will be paying $15k for FSD. They could raise the price to $20k with the announcement of HW4. ;)
It could happen, hence the plan is to place the order before Elon starts speaking on investor day :). Worst case, we end up having to cancel again and lose another deposit. But, considering the steep drop in prices on inventory Model X vehicles (I think it is about 10-12K for our configuration), I think Tesla is beginning to clean out HW3 inventory to get ready for HW4 vehicles. All of the inventory vehicles are listed as 'Demo' vehicles, but have <50 miles on odometer.

Reactions: GSP