Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Quality Issues at Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read too many of these issues on this forum. I plan on taking my time on delivery day. But I will probably still miss something, at least Tesla makes good on these. This is unacceptable to me. The S is in it's 5th year and cars are still being delivered with misaligned panels? For many of us this is the most we will ever spend on a vehicle. I don't want to be a pain in the ass but the DS will have to wait for me to finish inspection before I sign anything

That's exactly how I feel! I'm gonna take my time on Friday, but luckily my detailer will be there to help me out.

In a couple of weeks I'm taking delivery in Los Angeles of an inventory 2016 P90DL - with 5000+ miles. I presume that it was a test drive / loaner. As a first time Tesla owner, I'd feel better if I could find a local detailer to join me in looking over the inventory car when I take delivery. Does anyone know of a Tesla auto detailer they trust in LA whom I could contact?

Hello everyone,

I'm set to have my S60 delivered sometime later this month. I've been looking at local detail shops for paint protection, clear bra, window, etc.

One place I visited (very close to the Fremont factory) told me about quality issues for new Model S's. He's done many Teslas in the recent past. He said about 90% of people send their cars after delivery and don't notice the issues I'll list, but he does give the complimentary option to go with new owners to the Fremont factory on delivery day to scope out the overall condition of the car. He said in the 10% of people that have him look it, he's noted several problem areas.

He had one car recently with the chrome trim not fitting correctly, the hood and doors' alignment being off, panel trim on the inside of doors not lining up, etc. After he noted this to Tesla and the new owner, Tesla said it'd take 34 labor hours to fix these issues. Obviously, the owner couldn't take "delivery" of his car, and Tesla had to give him a loaner for over a week. At Tesla decided to fix these issues, which I did see other forum members write about earlier in previous months.

I'm wondering if this is still an issue. My detail guy thinks it's because Tesla is focusing on getting through the large waitlist of the Model X with its complexity, and as a result, the production quality of the Model S has suffered. Have people been experiencing these types of issues with recent deliveries of the new, restyled Model S's?

Delivered mid June from Fremont:

1) Extremely dirty exterior (for a new car)
2) Small divot on top of the steering wheel - noted and on the due bill
3) Small defect near the top, driver side pano roof glass. Not a huge deal to me and not added to the due bill.
4) Stuck pixel on the 17" monitor. Not seen until a few days after delivery (you can check this by putting your screen into clean mode) and setting up for a service appointment in two weeks.
5) Chrome trim not aligned and rubber issues on the bottom, passenger side back door. I didn't see this at pick up and I was looking. I think it may be lifting. Lining up for the service appointment.
6) A sound something like a piece of paper flapping in the wind in the passenger side air duct. I'm guessing there is a label in there making the noise. Also being lined up for the service appointment.
7) 12V lighter socket doesn't work (I assume a fuse issue). Just found this yesterday.
8) Alignment isn't great between panel, but not bad enough to change things.

Based on the stuff I've been reading this kind of thing is way too common for Tesla. This wasn't near what it should have been for a 100K car and people should hold Tesla more accountable.

I just picked up my MS60 a few weeks ago, i did walk around and fortunately i didn't see much wrong with mine, however i did notice the right rear chrome window trim was prob 1/8th" off from the front door. I didnt think much about it. Today was looking at my friends 2016 Solid White MS90D that she had delivered a few weeks prior to mine and another friends 2016 grey P90DL. I quickly noticed that the white MS90D's rear chrome window trim was incredibly misaligned by easily if not more 1/4 inch (I'll add picture later today). with my friend's MSP90D right by its side i did a comparison and it too was not perfectly aligned. Needless to say my friend didnt notice it, maybe its because its was on the passenger side and she rarely used that side, or maybe because chrome on white is not as contrasting as darker colors. Anyways I'm really surprised how something like this gets past quality control. Even for the DS to prep the care before delivery, I feel like it would have been noticed. FYI this was a SoCal DS.

I see alignment issues with the chrome trim with the majority of Model S/X's I see on the road and at the service center.
Most owners get behind the wheel and how well a Tesla drives/accelerates puts blinders on to cosmetic defects.

I just picked up my MS60 a few weeks ago, i did walk around and fortunately i didn't see much wrong with mine, however i did notice the right rear chrome window trim was prob 1/8th" off from the front door. I didnt think much about it. Today was looking at my friends 2016 Solid White MS90D that she had delivered a few weeks prior to mine and another friends 2016 grey P90DL. I quickly noticed that the white MS90D's rear chrome window trim was incredibly misaligned by easily if not more 1/4 inch (I'll add picture later today). with my friend's MSP90D right by its side i did a comparison and it too was not perfectly aligned. Needless to say my friend didnt notice it, maybe its because its was on the passenger side and she rarely used that side, or maybe because chrome on white is not as contrasting as darker colors. Anyways I'm really surprised how something like this gets past quality control. Even for the DS to prep the care before delivery, I feel like it would have been noticed. FYI this was a SoCal DS.

Reactions: glusc2002
this looks pretty bad......

Attachments

• tesla door molding.jpg
    tesla door molding.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 268
I forgot to update what happened with me. I took delivery of my S60 two weeks ago. My detailer did end up meeting me the delivery center in Fremont. He helped me/the DES note the issues.

1. The hood was not aligned properly. There's a larger gap on the driver side than the passenger side.
2. The pano sunroof's seal was not installed correctly (the rubber seal sticks out where the roof meets the A pillar)
3. The black panels on the sides of the inside of the trunk/rear hatch weren't bolted down all the way, so they're loose with large gaps between the body of the car

We'll see how long it takes for the service center to even get to my car. It's pretty busy there.

Noticed rear trunk spacers are off. These are both screwed furthest down. The left side is perfectly flush to the molding trim but the right side is misaligned and leaves a large gap. I think that's also causing the running marks above the knob. Makes me wonder what else is misaligned

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 192
I forgot to update what happened with me. I took delivery of my S60 two weeks ago. My detailer did end up meeting me the delivery center in Fremont. He helped me/the DES note the issues.

1. The hood was not aligned properly. There's a larger gap on the driver side than the passenger side.
2. The pano sunroof's seal was not installed correctly (the rubber seal sticks out where the roof meets the A pillar)
3. The black panels on the sides of the inside of the trunk/rear hatch weren't bolted down all the way, so they're loose with large gaps between the body of the car

We'll see how long it takes for the service center to even get to my car. It's pretty busy there.

Sorry to hear about the fit issues. Did you wait on the wrapping the car until the issues were fixed?

My car arrived at the service center early last week and was supposed to be delivered today. Found out yesterday that the battery controller needed to be upgraded and that would require a field tech to be flown in next week to handle. Delivery person has been great keeping me in the loop.

Great idea to have the detailer join you for the pickup inspection. I will advocate that any new owner consider having an existing, detail-oriented owner perhaps from a local Tesla owners club accompany them likewise. That's a win win for new owner and for the company in the end - for as
long as these quality problems persist, anyway.

Reactions: ssrajputev
Noticed rear trunk spacers are off. These are both screwed furthest down. The left side is perfectly flush to the molding trim but the right side is misaligned and leaves a large gap. I think that's also causing the running marks above the knob. Makes me wonder what else is misaligned

I think this is similar to my issue #3. My right black molding trim as you go up to where it attaches to the body panel (right above the tailight) isn't bolted all the way with a large gap. Anything could get stuck in there. My detailer was like, rain and water could get trapped inside there.

Sorry to hear about the fit issues. Did you wait on the wrapping the car until the issues were fixed?

I'm glad I was somewhat prepared after reading about other owners' stores on TMC and hearing from my detailer, who has detailed hundreds of Tesla. Although, it is still disappointing and disheartening to get these issues after spending so much money on this car (a first for me).

No, I didn't wait. I drove it straight to the detailer on delivery day. He told me Tesla would probably take weeks, if not months, to get the due bill/fix the fit and quality issues with my car. He said in the meantime, if I waited to detail my car, it would get more damaged from driving around and what not. That reminds me that I have to call my DES or the service center to see what's going on with me bringing my car in. I got my car delivered on Aug 12 (four weeks ago), and I didn't hear anything yet. I did call at the third week's mark and my DES said to give it another week and be more patient.

Hopefully, I don't have to wait as long as Model X owners have to get their cars fixed. My detailer said his Model X customers and even some Tesla people he knows working there told him the waiting list is three months to get these and worse issues fixed.