Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Rate (incl manufacturing waves)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The highest Sig sequence number we have is 1353. There are also ~250 special sigs, which are counted separately from normal sigs. So, that's 1603 total reserved out of 1000 produced
Not this again. No. You can't add these two numbers together and ascribe that description to them.

I'm not going to explain why again. I'm getting cranky as I wait for my car.

Not this again. No. You can't add these two numbers together and ascribe that description to them.

I'm not going to explain why again. I'm getting cranky as I wait for my car.

I'm not sure I follow. 1603 folks have placed a reservation for a Signature (Special or Vanilla) at some point. 603 of those have cancelled over the years, so the total signature production is 1000.

If your issue is that I implied 1603 active reservations currently, that's not what I intended. But 1603 total reservations happened, regardless of whether they were cancelled or not.

I'm not sure I follow. 1603 folks have placed a reservation for a Signature (Special or Vanilla) at some point. 603 of those have cancelled over the years, so the total signature production is 1000.

If your issue is that I implied 1603 active reservations currently, that's not what I intended. But 1603 total reservations happened, regardless of whether they were cancelled or not.
Incorrect, that's not what I took issue with.

"1603 folks have placed a reservation for a Signature at some point" is also incorrect.

I'll help you a little:
Imagine there are no cancellations of any Signature reservations for the U.S. Market and that they kept to "1000 Sig in the U.S. market". Also assume that the current 244 (or whatever it is) SSL tally stayed as it is. Would you expect that the highest non-SSL Sig would be 756 or 1000? If you think "it has to be 756", you're wrong. There are many ways to model it where it stops at 1000, or 999, or really quite a few numbers in the range [756,1000].

For every Sig Special a gap was left in the Sig numbering sequence. The 1,353 therefore includes the Specials, they are not additional to it.

I don't know whether there is or not a gap, but it doesn't have to match. Just as my P8xxx became S1189, I imagine S256 could become SSL16.

But all 12 of those overlapping sequence numbers are reported by different people. It's not a matter of someone upgrading to an SSL and leaving an S record behind. I've only been running the spreadsheet for about a month, so this goes way farther back than that.

But all 12 of those overlapping sequence numbers are reported by different people. It's not a matter of someone upgrading to an SSL and leaving an S record behind. I've only been running the spreadsheet for about a month, so this goes way farther back than that.

That's understood, and it's not what I'm saying.

Person #1 reserves a Sig S and gets #16. Person #2 reserves a Sig S and gets #201. Person #3 reserves a Sig S and gets #202. Person #2 is found to be a Roadster owner and gets assigned SSL #16. Person #1 has S #16. Person #2 has SSL #16. Slot S #201 is now empty and will remain so.

So yes, now 2 different people have S #16 and SSL #16. The same applies for other sequence numbers as well. The hole is left in their former S sequence number.

Person #1 reserves a Sig S and gets #16. Person #2 reserves a Sig S and gets #201. Person #3 reserves a Sig S and gets #202. Person #2 is found to be a Roadster owner and gets assigned SSL #16. Person #1 has S #16. Person #2 has SSL #16. Slot S #201 is now empty and will remain so.

So yes, now 2 different people have S #16 and SSL #16. The same applies for other sequence numbers as well. The hole is left in their former S sequence number.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Upgrades. Like Ps moving up to Sigs. That certainly makes sense. So, there's basically a range between 610 (since we're now up to 1360 on the Sigs, apparently) and 360 cancellations of the Signatures. That sounds a lot more reasonable, since I would expect Sig reservation holders to be more resilient.

How do you know that? I was R199, then SSL189 and now R456. I never had a regular S number - I went straight from R to SSL. Maybe there was an internal stop in the system as a regular S but only someone working at Tesla would know that - not any of us.

How do you know that? I was R199, then SSL189 and now R456. I never had a regular S number - I went straight from R to SSL. Maybe there was an internal stop in the system as a regular S but only someone working at Tesla would know that - not any of us.

I don't know if it ever got completely clear, but at the time when they announced that Sigs were sold out, the Sig #s were close to 1000 (after compressions of the lists earlier in 2011). That means that if the Sig list didn't contain gaps for SSLs, then there would have been around 1200-1250 Sigs at that time, including SSLs, but Tesla said it were only 1000 altogether.

In any case, even if that theory were wrong, it would mean that in that case there would be around 1250 actual sigs delivered eventually, as any cancellations are filled from the waiting list. So the number of cancellations would still be still around 350 and not around 600. It's either (1350 - 1000), or it is (1600 - 1250). (Aside from SSL cancellations, which would be additional in the latter case).

We'll find out soon, as the US sig VINs will either go up to about 1000, or up to about (1250 - SSL cancellations). :)