Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I concur. Most SUVs comes with 7 seats standard. You don't have to pay $4k for those 2 extra seats. Would love the Bio-Defense, but only comes with the premium package. Was really looking forward to Model X, but all these extras are making me think twice.

Maybe they announced it and I missed it, but I'm pretty pissed about being forced to pay $4000 extra for the 7 seat configuration...sure had the impression all along that that was standard. Lots of nickle and dimeing on this vehicle. Well over our anticipated budget.

If you do not care about the self opening front door, would probably shut that off most of the time it seems like $4500 to get some led lighting and hepa bio defense filtration. What am I missing.

Probably also the other premium interior options from the Model S, which by itself is listed as 3,000, and for reference includes the following features:
Power Liftgate (this is a big deal for many people)
Nappa leather armrests and dashboard
Alcantara Headliner and accents (includes choice of headliner color)
interior accent lighting
fog and cornering lights
lighted door handles (I don't think the X has this does it?)

So for an extra 1500$ you are also getting the following on the X:
Self-presenting driver's door that opens automatically
HEPA filter for the car (including "Bioweapon Defense Mode")
Two activated carbon air purification filters
Ventilated front seats

I mention it this way to break out the real added cost, even though you can't separate it that way... which is the 1,500$ premium. That is coming from the driver door, air filter, and vented front seats. That, to me, isn't that bad of an added fee, although I agree it would be nice to separate it out into maybe two paid features instead of one.

Also, reading through the two pages... I find it odd that they don't seem to list the powered lift gate on the Model X materials... is this not a feature, or was it just overlooked?

Edit: whoops, nevermind, looks like it is under "standard features". Huh... never noticed that. Might this be a sign of things to come on the Model S? Pulling this into standard features? Because I know this was a heated issue when they started forcing the 3k premium interior on people who just wanted the lift gate.

They also made the center console standard in the car, which is a ~500$ option on the Model S. So this 5k price premium over the two models is currently giving you some nice features that arguably still cost you money on the Model S.

Pano Roof: 2,500 (yes, I get it, you can't open any of the roof glass on the X, but still there has to be some added cost)
Power Lift Gate: 500$?
Center Console: 500$
1" larger wheels in the Cyclone design: 2,500$ (note the is the price premium on switching from standard 19s to cyclone 19s)
Matte Obeche Wood: 750$

What else am I missing here? Seriously, that 5k price premium is actually a price savings to get those options yourself on the Model S.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the second row seats can move back/forward independently individually (i.e. mid-seat in back position and two side seats more forward position) in the 5 seats config.? Deciding if it's worth to pay 6 seats vs 5 seats.

We saw the 2nd row seats move individually at the X Event.

My question is WHY doesn't Tesla Motors just put the Model S style bench seats in a FIVE seat bench version so they can FOLD? Since there is NO reason to climb behind the second row, why not have it like Model S?

I realize that the second row seats in Model X are more comfortable than Model S, but I bet a lot of buyers would love to trade some comfort for those old folding seats! For those who want extra cargo with all five seats occupied, then the existing five seat design does make sense.

Last edited:
Not just high end companies. Toyota did the same thing with the Highlander Hybrid. The first models they shipped were all fully loaded "Limited Edition" models. If you wanted a base model with the hybrid drive train, you had to wait several months.
But did Toyota require you to put down a $5,000 deposit two years prior to that vehicle's release, and then give you a reservation number that strongly implied you'd get your car in order of when you reserved it? I'm very annoyed that I got suckered into giving a $5,000 deposit two years ago, only to discover that I could have just waited until December 2015 to make a Production reservation, configured a P90D, and gotten my car in early 2016. We're so close to cancelling it's not even funny.

Some people don't want to pay a $20k premium for the Performance motor on a family car. Sigs weren't given that option so that's why many of us haven't finalized.

So it's possible that Production reservation holders who order the P90D will get their cars even before some Sigs? Wow... just wow.

Some people don't want to pay a $20k premium for the Performance motor on a family car. Sigs weren't given that option so that's why many of us haven't finalized.

I can't pull up internet archives right now, but I don't seem to remember Sigs getting a choice on the Model S, did they? Will they at least let you downgrade your order to a production car?

But did Toyota require you to put down a $5,000 deposit two years prior to that vehicle's release, and then give you a reservation number that strongly implied you'd get your car in order of when you reserved it?
No deposit. But most Toyota dealers were charging a $2,000 to $3,500 *premium* above the full list price just to put you on the reservation list for the Highlander Hybrid. I actually had to call around to find a dealer that would *only* charge me list price. One of the "benefits" of an independent dealer network. They could do what they liked, based on the high demand. I think I was on the waiting list for about 8 months, but did get one of the first batch to hit the east coast in July, 2005.

I'm very annoyed that I got suckered into giving a $5,000 deposit two years ago, only to discover that I could have just waited until December 2015 to make a Production reservation, configured a P90D, and gotten my car in early 2016. We're so close to cancelling it's not even funny.
Understandable. For me, the annoyance is more the higher than expected entry price for the 90D with seven seats. And yeah, having to wait an extra six(?) months to get the 90D over the P90D is also annoying. Not sure yet whether the wife is going to go for $20K extra for the P just so we don't have to wait. Not sure I myself will do it (though I am considering it).

So it's possible that Production reservation holders who order the P90D will get their cars even before some Sigs? Wow... just wow.
I would imagine any US Sig who has configured by now will get their Sig before a production P90D. But only Tesla would know whether a Sig who confirms in December would get his or her car before a production P90D who confirms in November. You should ask your DS.

I concur. Most SUVs comes with 7 seats standard. You don't have to pay $4k for those 2 extra seats. Would love the Bio-Defense, but only comes with the premium package. Was really looking forward to Model X, but all these extras are making me think twice.

Maybe they announced it and I missed it, but I'm pretty pissed about being forced to pay $4000 extra for the 7 seat configuration...sure had the impression all along that that was standard. Lots of nickle and dimeing on this vehicle. Well over our anticipated budget.

I would think that most comparable SUVs come with 5 seats - like the Lexus RX350, BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, etc. Sure the huge SUVs come with more but I would think that is a somewhat different segment.

The June 16, 2014 newsletter from Tesla included:

... and you'll have the option to add a third-row of seats to carry more passengers.

I know it was discussed on the forum back then - but it's also been over a year, so easy to have lost that info.

Understandable. For me, the annoyance is more the higher than expected entry price for the 90D with seven seats. And yeah, having to wait an extra six(?) months to get the 90D over the P90D is also annoying. Not sure yet whether the wife is going to go for $20K extra for the P just so we don't have to wait. Not sure I myself will do it (though I am considering it).

If you are going to spend 20k for performance, might as well spend another 10k on Ludicrous ;)

Seriously though, I think the general rule of thumb has been to get what you feel comfortable affording and you will not be disappointed. If you bought just the 90D and knew that you could afford the P90D, then your mileage may vary on if you end up disappointed with having not paid out to upgrade.

Am I the only one not surprised by Tesla decisions?

1. By grouping orders some customers will be dissapointed, but average delivery time will be shorter and Tesla will be stronger as a company
2. All options are optional. Would you be happier with $85k starting price and fewer options?
etc, etc, etc