Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lived 220 miles from the nearest service center for the first 2 years, and am still 190 miles from the new closest...and others are much farther. You'll be fine.

Thank you very much for the reassurance. I totally trust that Tesla will always strive for the awesome customer service they have largely upheld so far. My concern is if they can maintain that level of service with the rapidly increasing production of the S and X and eventual 3 especially for people further afield. Regardless, I decided the wait was long enough and took the leap of faith and am trying to temper expectations.

Last edited:
Mass Production Tesla Model X Unofficial Non-Graphic Public Design Studio

Paint
Solid Black (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $0
Solid White (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $0
Titanium Metallic (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,000
Midnight Silver Metallic (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,000
Obisidion Black Metallic (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,000
Deep Blue Metallic (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,000
Silver Metallic (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,000
Pearl White Multi-Coat (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,500
Red Multi-Coat (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,500

Wheels
20-Inch Silver $0
22-inch Silver (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $4,500

Interior Upholstery
Textile (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S and it even exists) $0
Black Leather (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,750-$2,500
Tan Leather (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,750-$2,500
Grey Leather (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,750-$2,500
White Alcantera Headliner $0
Black Alcantera Headliner $0

Interior Decor
Dark Ash Wood (unconfirmed price) $0
Figured Ash Wood (unconfirmed price) $0-$750
Obeche Wood Gloss/Matte (unconfirmed price) $0-$750
Carbon Fiber (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $1,000

Other Options
70 kwh Battery Pack with AWD $0
90 kwh Battery Pack with AWD (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $13,000
90 kwh Battery Pack with AWD and Performance Motor (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $33,000
Ludicrous Speed Upgrade (assuming it's the same cost as in the Model S) $10,000
Six Seat Configuration $3,000
Seven Seat Configuration $4,000
Autopilot Convienience Features $2,500 + $3,000 to enable
Premium Interior Upgrade $4,500
Smart Air Suspension $2,500 (included with 90D and P90D
Ultra High Fidelity Sound $2,500
Subzero Winter Package $1,000
Towing Package $750
Accessory Hitch $0

We need more info guys.

More info is available further up in the thread and your info is inaccurate.

Yes, and to save people time searching for it, the correct info is contained in my Production X Configurator screen grabs posted upthread:

#36, #54, #62, #114, and Elon's infamous:

"charger" EASTER EGG to get $1,000 High Amperage Charger Upgrade 72 AMPS!! :)

which is revealed in post #166.

I test drove AutoPilot in an S P90D on Saturday (it's an awesome, must-have option, IMHO!!). I learned the sales advisor has been directing people to my screen capture posts here on TMC for Model X pricing info, since Tesla has intentionally hidden the configurator from the general public to lessen the Osborne effect. He said everyday people walk in inquiring about the X.

Speaking of Adam Osborne, I asked when people can get delivery of an S in the Bay Area? I was told orders placed today will be delivered by the end of Q4. This means the S order pipeline is not full. I think it also may indicate one reason why there has been a slow ramp up of Model X. TSLA doesn't want X production on the shared line to slowdown S production. I imagine they are trying to beat their lowered revised 2015 production estimate.

Last edited:
I know it's irrational...but I sure wish they'd release the next 1000 or so configuration invites... #5699 on pins and needles.

After years patiently waiting, it really is rationally exciting to receive your configuration invitation. At least it was for me after checking out Elon's F000001 and getting a ride in another one at the Reveal. I was most surprised and impressed by the air filtration system, helicopter-like front windshield, Falcon door's intelligent sensors, and auto-opening front door.

I noticed an email notification on my phone while parked in my "last ICE" with my family in front of a vegetarian restaurant waiting for take out. Did my initial config in less than 30 minutes including starting this thread.

Don't forget to type "charger" (no quotes)! :biggrin:

Hope your invite comes later today!

I know it's irrational...but I sure wish they'd release the next 1000 or so configuration invites... #5699 on pins and needles.

Two data points an extrapolation doesn't justify... but if one were to be so inclined to throw caution to the wind, one might reasonably hope for reservations made through December, 2013 to be invited to the party after lunch today.

So having received my invite last week I have spent way too much time playing with various configurations, have convinced my wife that it makes sense to trade in the MS for a MX and would love to place an order. Just can't bring myself to commit without driving one and reading about the costs/implications of changing an order after confirming makes me more inclined to wait. I'm also leaning towards the 90 vs P90 so I don't think there is any great rush if we are talking 6 +/- months to delivery.

For those in the northeast - I called the Dedham sales center and they have a list of those who have an X reservation but need/want to drive one before ordering. They hope to have one in for test drives in the next 30-60 days.

Also - is there any reason I would want to spend $20k on the Performance 90 versus regular 90 other than the increased 0-60 speed? I really don't miss the performance on my Model S but wonder if I am missing anything else that would make me want to spend the $$$ (I can wait the few extra months too)

Thanks all for the great info!

What a relief to make an order after having held reservations with Tesla since the early days of the Model S. I hope living over 80 miles from my nearest service center works out in the end.

View attachment 103519
Awesome config. Congrats! Ours will be quite similar. Blue, 20-inch wheels, UHFS, sub-zero... I was going with multi-pattern seats too but my wife suggested black leather, and if we're getting leather maybe we'll opt for that performance upgrade package too... :) But I'm definitely getting AutoPilot. Still on the fence about dark or light headliner. I like the contrast of light, but the combination of dark headline and black seats does look pretty sweet too.

Does anyone know if the blue from the S is identical to the blue on the X? I'm assuming yes, as I can't see why they'd maintain two different blues. We're trying to find a blue S and maybe check a couple of the interior options in person before confirming. Seems like most of the stores in the NYC area only have one or two model Ses on display and they all seem to be white.

Also - is there any reason I would want to spend $20k on the Performance 90 versus regular 90 other than the increased 0-60 speed? I really don't miss the performance on my Model S but wonder if I am missing anything else that would make me want to spend the $$$ (I can wait the few extra months too)

Thanks all for the great info!

Thanks for the Dedham info. I'm in the 12,000s so have plenty of time to see it but am also on the fence about 90 vs P90. Either will be both quicker and faster than my 2013 S85. But with five kids it would be nice to get it sooner than later. My 11 year old needs to be bribed to sit in the back on longer trips these days, if she'll do it at all, and I find myself driving my wife's Odyssey more often lately (which she wants to keep - the X is for me!).

I haven't looked enough at the config screen shots but aren't there a few options tossed in with the P90 that would be charged separately on the 90? That theoretically reduces the $20k delta, if you planned to get those options. Also I think the auto-adjusting rear spoiler only comes on the P.

Model X Current Options Pricing

Corrected Production Model X options (reply to m67v's post) as of 12/7/15:

Base Price: Model X 70D with No Options: $80,000 (plus $1,200 destination and doc fee)

Drive Train/Battery Options:

• 70 kwh Battery Pack with AWD: $0
  • 90 kwh Battery Pack with AWD: $13,000 (requires Smart Air Suspension for additional $2,500)
  • Performance Upgrade to P90D: $20,000 (includes smart spoiler and red brake calipers, performance tuning and larger motors)
  • Ludicrous Speed Upgrade: $10,000

Paint:

• Solid Black: $0
  • Solid White: $0
  • Titanium Metallic: $1,000
  • Midnight Silver Metallic: $1,000
  • Obsidian Black Metallic: $1,000
  • Deep Blue Metallic: $1,000
  • Silver Metallic: $1,000
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat: $1,500
  • Red Multi-Coat: $1,500

Wheels:

• 20-Inch Silver (turbine style curved fan blades): $0
  • 20-inch helix wheels: $2,500
  • 22-inch Silver turbine: $4,500
  • 22-inch Carbon turbine: $4,500

Interior (Seats):

• Black Multi-Pattern Seats (looks like Model S textile seats): $0
  • Black Leather: $2,500
  • Tan Leather: $2,500
  • Ultra White (simulated leather with stain-resistant treatment): $2,500
Interior (Headliner):

• White Headliner: $0 - upgraded to Alcantara if you get the Performance Upgrades Package
  • Black Headliner: $0 - upgraded to Alcantara if you get the Performance Upgrades Package
Interior (Decor):

• Obeche Wood Matte: $0
  • Dark Ash Wood: $750
  • Figured Ash Wood: $750
  • Obeche Wood Gloss: $750
  • Carbon Fiber: $1,000
Interior (Seating Options):

• 5 Seats: $0
  • 6 Seats: $3,000
  • 7 Seats: $4,000

Performance Upgrade Package: $4,500 (requires selection of black leather, tan leather or Ultra White seats). Includes:

• Self-presenting driver's door that opens automatically as you approach
  • True HEPA air filtration system with dual activated carbon filters (with Bioweapon Defense Mode)
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Leather arm rests, steering wheel and lower dashboard when paired with leather seating (note: currently you can *only* select the PUP with leather seating. If you have the base seats selected and you select the PUP, it automatically selects Black Leather seats for you and the fabric seating option disappears).
  • Alcantara headliner and upper dashboard accents
  • Soft LED ambient interior lighting
  • Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility
  • LED fog lights

Autopilot Convenience Features: $2,500 at order *OR* $3,000 to enable later

Smart Air Suspension:
$2,500 (required with 90D and P90D)

Ultra High Fidelity Sound:
$2,500

Subzero Winter Package:
$1,000

Towing Package/Accessory Hitch:

• No hitch or towing package: $0
  • Accessory Hitch (1.25" hitch for luggage/bike/ski-rack attachment): $0
  • Towing package (removable 2-inch trailer hitch receiver with towing capacity of 3,500 pounds (22-inch wheels) or 5,000 pounds (20-inch wheels): $750

High Amperage Charger Upgrade: (upgrades on-board charger from 48 Amps to 72 Amps): $1,000
  • For AC charging only; does not affect super charging speed. Currently requires you to type "charger" anywhere in the design studio and the option magically appears

Also - is there any reason I would want to spend $20k on the Performance 90 versus regular 90 other than the increased 0-60 speed?
Large motor for more capable towing has been discussed.

We know Sigs are (P)erformance versions.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/YAqWH6o.png
YAqWH6o.png

Last edited:

• 1 second faster 0-60 (3.8 seconds vs. 4.8 seconds on the non-P)
  • Larger motor(s?)
  • red brake calipers
  • smart self-adjusting spoiler
  • P on the badge (underlined for Ludicrous!)
  • quicker delivery
  • bragging rights
I think that's about it.

Don't forget the higher insurance premiums with the P. I've only gotten quotes for a non-P for myself. A friend got quotes for both P and non-P and in his case, the P insurance premiums were twice as much as non-P, something like $1200 (non-P) vs. $2400 (P).