Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project: More light in Frunk and Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
crappy ipod pics
frunk
IMG_0093.JPG

trunk
IMG_0094.JPG

and why aren't these leds?
IMG_0096.JPG

they are now:smile:

Here's an amateur version of your nice installs :) It's not cool as your versions but for a non-engineer, it's a cheap, quick 10-minute install. The light shuts itself off after 30 seconds.

I got two motion sensor LED from Costco for $19.99. I added one to the frunk and one on the bottom side of parcel shelf, using only one side of velcro strip. It stick well enough to the car's
carpet.

IMG_0552.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0554.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0561.JPG

Here's an amateur version of your nice installs :) It's not cool as your versions but for a non-engineer, it's a cheap, quick 10-minute install. The light shuts itself off after 30 seconds.

I got two motion sensor LED from Costco for $19.99. I added one to the frunk and one on the bottom side of parcel shelf, using only one side of velcro strip. It stick well enough to the car's
carpet.

Wouldn't items moving around while the car is in motion cause the lights to switch on? The batteries in the LED unit won't last very long that way.

carpet.
I didn't know you had it in ya! Awesome! :smile:

Finally did my install of LED strip lights under the parcel shelf tracks. For power I tapped into the wiring for the two existing lights in the rear of the trunk. That way it turns on and off when the the hatchback lid is open and closed. All of the cabling is completely hidden and it looks like it was an accessory that came with the car. Had to remove all of the trim to run the wiring, but that was easy to do.

I'll post some photos and more details as soon as I get a chance.

Next the frunk lighting.

Here are a few photos. I used LED light strips from SuperBrighLEDS, a place I frequently use to source LEDs, as their stuff is high quality and, well, super bright. I used the 19" (almost a perfect length for this use) High Power LED Flexible Light Strip - NFLS-X3 in warm white. The brightness certainly show in the photos, as the space is now incredibly well lit for night use.

DSC_3408.JPG

DSC_3410.JPG

Nice! This is one no-brainer, that the frunk and the license plate.

Do you find these LEDs might be too bright? OR is it just the exposure on this photo?
I mean sometimes you want a lot of light, sometimes it can be too much.

Definitely not too bright but certainly more light than I'm used to having in the part of a car. No more fumbling around for lost stuff.

Nice! This is one no-brainer, that the frunk and the license plate.

Do you find these LEDs might be too bright? OR is it just the exposure on this photo?
I mean sometimes you want a lot of light, sometimes it can be too much.

The white/tan trunk mat probably creates the overly-bright effect. I'm sure it would be a little more subdued if the mat was darker. Still looks great, though.

Artsci, were those LED lights terminated with any adapter/plug or bare wires?

The white/tan trunk mat probably creates the overly-bright effect. I'm sure it would be a little more subdued if the mat was darker. Still looks great, though.

Artsci, were those LED lights terminated with any adapter/plug or bare wires?

I stripped the wires to the two stock LED lamps in the back of the trunk and soldered the LED strip leads to them then ran the wires behind the trim so it's all hidden. I used insulated spade connectors so everything can be easily taken apart if need be.

I agree that the tan mats tend to make the effect brighter than it actually is but it is very well lit.

You saw that those are fed by 6 x 1.5V = 9V and not 12V?

They wouldn't need to be wired to the car -just load them with AAA batteries and install in the car,

But I'm guessing they turn on with movement -- the pic shows them attached to the inside of a drawer. So that wouldn't work in the trunk or frunk. But if they are activated with light, then they might be worth shot.

They wouldn't need to be wired to the car -just load them with AAA batteries and install in the car,

But I'm guessing they turn on with movement -- the pic shows them attached to the inside of a drawer. So that wouldn't work in the trunk or frunk. But if they are activated with light, then they might be worth shot.

That's exactly why I think they are perfect - motion sensing, since I don't need them on when the trunk/frunk is closed, and just wave my hand where they are mounted when I open it.