Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm assuming this would be a warranty issue? Would the way to address this be to schedule a service appointment on the app and then tell them I think is should be covered under warranty when I go to the appointment?

Thanks.

It would be hard to see how Tesla could successfully argue that this is not a warranty issue as it's related to shoddy assembly quality.

I do agree that it's far better to get service engaged sooner rather than later if this is observed. It's likely that Tesla already have their TSB for this, it probably involves removing panels, very light sand and touch up of the affected area and then re-assembly.

If it gets worse though then the only option is going to be body shop and that's not fun.

Way better to let service have it now for a day or two rather than waiting until it needs to go to the body shop for a week and you end up with a car with a bad re-spray.

I haven't checked my car yet but based on my service history with this car there's about a 90% chance I also have this issue. :eek:

I checked mine and there's about a 1mm gap there and no rust. I somehow dodged a bullet on this one.

The metal contact itself shouldn't necessarily cause the problem, it could be that the metals used in the two different components are not galvanized and are reacting causing this almost immediate corrosion.

8/19 build and had clearnace but very little. Took a chopped paint stir stick (or anything stiff but soft to not damage the paint) and pulled the corner out. Opened the door and placed the stick under the corner behind the fender and carefully applied outward pressure. Now have 3mm+ of clearance. Very easy fix as long as it has not broken through the paint.

It would be hard to see how Tesla could successfully argue that this is not a warranty issue as it's related to shoddy assembly quality.

I do agree that it's far better to get service engaged sooner rather than later if this is observed. It's likely that Tesla already have their TSB for this, it probably involves removing panels, very light sand and touch up of the affected area and then re-assembly.

If it gets worse though then the only option is going to be body shop and that's not fun.

Way better to let service have it now for a day or two rather than waiting until it needs to go to the body shop for a week and you end up with a car with a bad re-spray.

I haven't checked my car yet but based on my service history with this car there's about a 90% chance I also have this issue. :eek:

I just had mobile service take a look. He said he's seen this before and it's going to require a body shop visit unfortunately. 5 hours total driving to fix this :( He implied it would be warranty work, but I don't have that in writing. Obviously before I drive down for this I'll confirm that.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I checked mine and there's about a 1mm gap there and no rust. I somehow dodged a bullet on this one.

The metal contact itself shouldn't necessarily cause the problem, it could be that the metals used in the two different components are not galvanized and are reacting causing this almost immediate corrosion.

The pillar skin, and the fender are both steel. The rubbing is causing the e-coat to rub off leaving bare steel. As long as there is any gap at all it should be fine.

Is there a compiled thread of all the 3s with reported rust?

I finally remembered to check it today after work. Feb of 2018 build, first 10K ish built.

Not only is there rust on the quarter panel and the body panel, there is also rust on the first visible bolt right below it. When I took delivery I always wondered why the insides of the front driver and passenger doors had such terrible paint coverage. I am curious if that has contributed to this.

I have never owned a single vehicle with such patchy paint coverage in that area.

See the attached pictures below.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Attachments

• IMG_20190930_161737.jpg
    IMG_20190930_161737.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20190930_161609.jpg
    IMG_20190930_161609.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20190930_161600.jpg
    IMG_20190930_161600.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20190930_161659.jpg
    IMG_20190930_161659.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 137
Some of you may have read New Evidence Seems To Show A Tesla Model 3 Fender/Frame Rust Issue that discusses paint issues on the Model 3. The issue that caught my attention was the rub point for the driver fender near the top of the drivers door. Anyway, when checking my Model 3 (ca. 8/18) I found the same issue albeit not so much rust. I suggest that all Model 3 owners check their vehicles to see if the fender is installed such that it rubs on the body of the car. My remedy was to pull back the fender a bit (just pull just enough to get a gap) and slide some electrical tape between the fender and the body. I'll probably go back and do a better job once I find the time. I will probably ask Tesla to adjust the fender once I get the time.

I strongly suggest that owners check their vehicles to mitigate what is clearly a manufacturing defect. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

fender.jpg