Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't explain why it touches on some cars but not on others. I don't disagree that there is probably design flaw involved, but it's probably that they didn't take the effect of bolt tightening into account.

This is pure speculation, but it could be from imprecise stamping that caused the panel shape and gap to vary throughout the production.

But then why does it only happen on the driver side? The bolt tightening seems to be the most obvious source of asymmetry.

Two different stamping tools, one for right and one for left. It's possible the left side is a bit off. Could be either the tool surface itself or that stamping pressure isn't accurately and consistently applied. I have seen similar effects with forged metallic parts as well as composite parts.

Is there a compiled thread of all the 3s with reported rust?

I finally remembered to check it today after work. Feb of 2018 build, first 10K ish built.

Not only is there rust on the quarter panel and the body panel, there is also rust on the first visible bolt right below it. When I took delivery I always wondered why the insides of the front driver and passenger doors had such terrible paint coverage. I am curious if that has contributed to this.

I have never owned a single vehicle with such patchy paint coverage in that area.

See the attached pictures below.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Why would we need a compiled thread of all model 3’s that have this problem.
You need to go to Tesla so they can fix it.
Compiling a thread won’t fix your car.

This wasn’t a malicious act by Tesla against model 3 owners, it’s poor build issues, that have been brought to light.

Trying to compile a thread listing all model 3 owners that have this problem doesn’t seem to serve any purpose at this point, other than to be malicious though. :)

Just curious how it would be unsafe though. I'm thinking maybe it can impale the driver in an accident, but then the airbag would hopefully do its job to prevent that.

Steering wheels are designed to collapse, acting like a crumble zone to lessen your impact. Due to airbags this isn't much of a concern anymore, unless the airbag fails or the collision speed is too slow.

This is the response that I got from the local service advisor:

"Thanks very much for sending a picture, it is common to see thinner paint in some of the recessed areas. This is perfectly normal and within the design characteristics of your Tesla. We can assure you that this is not a corrosion risk as an e-coat layer was applied during the paint electroplating process. Additionally, you have a 12-year, unlimited mile rust warranty should you have any future rust or corrosion concerns. I have also verified with other Model 3 vehicles on site and they display similar thinner paint in some of the recessed areas including the a-pillar base."

Sounds like they have to rust before they're willing to do anything about it.

I'll probably just put some touch up paint over it.

This is the response that I got from the local service advisor:

"Thanks very much for sending a picture, it is common to see thinner paint in some of the recessed areas. This is perfectly normal and within the design characteristics of your Tesla. We can assure you that this is not a corrosion risk as an e-coat layer was applied during the paint electroplating process. Additionally, you have a 12-year, unlimited mile rust warranty should you have any future rust or corrosion concerns. I have also verified with other Model 3 vehicles on site and they display similar thinner paint in some of the recessed areas including the a-pillar base."

Sounds like they have to rust before they're willing to do anything about it.

I'll probably just put some touch up paint over it.
In other words, he inspected other Teslas and they have the same crappy paint job as yours, therefore it is within spec

My Model 3 (7/2018, VIN 62xxx) has a 1mm rust spot on the passenger side where the fender just touches the pillar. Used a wooden paint stirring stick to pry the fender up so it now has a 1mm gap. No problem on the driver’s side, but I also pried it up slightly to increase the gap to 1mm.

Anyone have experience with successfully stopping rust like this? I don't need it restored to new condition, I just want to halt the progress of the rust. Plus driving 5 hours and being without my car for possibly several days doesn't sound like a good time to me.

That steering "wheel" does NOT look cool at all. Probably the stupidest one I've ever seen on a car. Just curious how it would be unsafe though. I'm thinking maybe it can impale the driver in an accident, but then the airbag would hopefully do its job to prevent that. Most race car "wheels" don't even have a top or bottom.
Apparently he thinks he's in an airplane. I don't think that wheel is safe at all. If something happens there are far fewer places you can grab to get control back.

Anyone have experience with successfully stopping rust like this? I don't need it restored to new condition, I just want to halt the progress of the rust. Plus driving 5 hours and being without my car for possibly several days doesn't sound like a good time to me.
A little phosphoric acid to clean the rust and then touch it up with touch-up paint. If you don't have phosphoric acid, coca cola works. Soak a sponge or towel and press it against the rust spot for 15 mins. Give it a good rub, when rust is gone, wash it clean, dry then touch up.

I just checked my fender and it is rubbing on that pillar. 8/19 build.
82726F78-15AE-4CC5-832B-6D3A47FB8594.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
That steering "wheel" does NOT look cool at all. Probably the stupidest one I've ever seen on a car. Just curious how it would be unsafe though. I'm thinking maybe it can impale the driver in an accident, but then the airbag would hopefully do its job to prevent that. Most race car "wheels" don't even have a top or bottom.

a few people have done this because it was what was on the original drawings for the model 3

Why would we need a compiled thread of all model 3’s that have this problem.
You need to go to Tesla so they can fix it.
Compiling a thread won’t fix your car.

This wasn’t a malicious act by Tesla against model 3 owners, it’s poor build issues, that have been brought to light.

Trying to compile a thread listing all model 3 owners that have this problem doesn’t seem to serve any purpose at this point, other than to be malicious though. :)

no updating your vehicle maintenance manual to warn owners that rust might not be covered due to “road salt” is malicious, not compiling a thread.

Just a quick update. I brought this to the Tesla service center and they promptly acknowledged it as an issue ("not within Tesla spec") and acknowledged it could lead to rust. They're fixing it under warranty.

They did something to bend the front quarter panel and now there's a few millimeter gap. There is a paint defect on both the main car body (?I think called the A pillar?) and the front quarter panel where they were touching.

Interestingly they said there was no rust and they just needed to apply some touch-up paint. But... they didn't have any touch-up paint so they would call me when they got some. The paint defect is really small and it's hard to see, so I went home and took a close-up photo, and on close inspection the metal at the contact points doesn't seem 100% healthy. Which did make me a little worried that simply applying touch-up paint may not protect against rust down the line.

A few weeks go by and no phone call, so I submit another service request asking for touch-up paint, but also noting that the metal didn't seem fully healthy to me, and I submitted the picture. They called me later that day and told me it will be sent out to a paint and body work shop for proper repair. All covered under warranty.

Everyone has been very nice at Tesla along the way. I didn't have to do any arguing or convincing.

• Love
Reactions: Johnii__82
Ninja is correct. Folks, I live in Canada, Ottawa Montreal QC City where winters are as bad as they get. Have seen 1 winter driven Model 3s- not all- with bad bad bad side scraping and rust commencing. Like for year 1? My older Civic needed 7 years to develop that. It actually reminds me of the 90s/2000s Kias and Mazdas. Now, before people go OCD about rust, some fact. I patched a friend's BMW hood, he had stone chips in a few spots. Some wer 3 years old. Drove his car in winter where our standard is 24% salinity / square meter or roads. that is twice sea level!! His 2011 BMW, like most bavarians, is not JUSt galvanized, nor just gone through 5-6 kms of prep and paint line, but also is made of SUPERIOR ULSAB AC steels. That steel costs MORE for AMG BMW, some Porsches, Audis, than, say Honda. tesla. In the scale of things, even Toyota has a slightly better steel but far better t
12 year rust warranty will handle this for those who experience it, I hope one doesn't wait until it is real rusty and then ask for a fix.

Negative, the warranty has several disclaimers built in to reject it. It is NOT an Audi BMW or Porsche corrosion warranty, it is a flat out lie...