Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - left turn signal doesn't reset - defective steering control module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car back; I have gotten lucky since they had the replacement module in stock at the time. It may be the original one, not the revision someone mentioned. Seems to work better than the previous one, although it may have failed to stick “on” a couple times (3 blinks instead of staying on, similar to the original one). Will test it some more on my next drive, but on my short drive home it seemed to be much more consistent than the first module.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Mobile Team contacted me yesterday and told me my special order part (steering control module) was in. Mobile Tech installed it this a.m. - and turn signals both work great! Previously, the service center told me the issue was "in containment" and Tesla looking for a fix - so not sure if there was a disconnect with the mobile team or if the module is a new part #. Nonetheless - at least for me, the hardware swap fixed the issue.

• Informative
Mine is not as severe as others, but it's there.
Left signal partial depress will result in continuous blinking vs. 3 blink about half the time.
VIN 117xxx 10/18 build

Goes in Thursday for a few things including this one. I assume I'll have to wait on the part

• Informative
Just a PSA here, apparently a large # of vehicles were manufactuered somewhere in the 99x, 100x VIN series that have a defective steering control module.

This has been discussed recently in the "other" forum but owners here might want to be aware of the problem so if they are stung with it they know how to communicate the problem to Tesla.

The issue is that the left turn signal never resets. So, if you do the "half push" to get three blinks or you do the continuous push down of the left turn signal and expect it to reset after completing a turn, it never does.

You can check this before pickup even without driving the car. Half press the right signal to see how it works, it blinks three times then stops. Now do it on the left side. If it never stops blinking you have this problem. Up to you at that point how to proceed (making them fix it before pickup, insist on mobile service, etc.).

It requires a new part to repair as the one the car was built with is defective.

This is not being checked before delivery so the first time you might discover it is at drive off and nobody loves going in for service immediately after taking delivery of a brand new car.

Fortunately for me I was able to get them to commit to having a mobile service tech come to my place of work to replace the part once it arrives at the service center.
Mine is 99xxx and I have the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
M3 STEER COLMN CNTRL MODULE KOSTAL replaced in under 45 minutes by mobile service. Turn signals work properly now (in limited testing so far). I initially made a service appointment about 3 weeks ago with my local service. They cancelled my appointment and told me that the part needed to be ordered and said mobile service could handle it. I received a call yesterday from the mobile team saying the part was in and they were able to offer me a 2 hour arrival slot. They actually called earlier than the arrival slot saying they were available early. We took them up on the offer and they arrived within 5 minutes. While the service person was here my wife mentioned a rattle that I had discovered yesterday evening on the driver's side door. The service person suspected a loose clip and he confirmed and fixed it as well.

• Informative
Had mine replaced today by mobile service, took maybe 30 minutes. Just took off the steering wheel and installed the new steering column module. I imagine they aren't cheap. Too bad I am now already trained to move the stock up after signaling left!

Anyone not have theirs fixed yet? I've got mine reported, but they say their directive is to just wait for a potential software fix. It doesn't bother me all that much, but I have no idea if I'm waiting a week, a month, or who knows how long for this fix

When I called into the support line they scheduled me mobile service and was stuck in waiting for part after 1.5 months of not hearing back or getting any replies. I then went online and scheduled a mobile service appointment myself online stating the issue and they came out two weeks later and replaced the module. The tech said they were doing a lot of them.

When I called into the support line they scheduled me mobile service and was stuck in waiting for part after 1.5 months of not hearing back or getting any replies. I then went online and scheduled a mobile service appointment myself online stating the issue and they came out two weeks later and replaced the module. The tech said they were doing a lot of them.
I did the same thing. However, in my case they simply cancelled the appointment I made and emailed me that they had put me on a wait list for the new part. That's where I've been stuck for a month now, and I'm not getting any replies.

This is the answer I got from SC today when I asked for ETA:

"The part for the turn signal issue has no ETA as they are making a new version of this part."

So it looks like they are redesigning the part since people seem to have problems even with replaced parts. I would not demand a part replacement now as you might get the old design that is prone to failing. I rather wait and have the new version.

Hmm.. The SCs are not necessarily well informed. Even if yours is correct, driving indefinitely with a malfunctioning turn signal is no good.

I would definitely (and did) push for a replacement. If it ends up failing down the road, cross that bridge when you get to it.

Anyone not have theirs fixed yet? I've got mine reported, but they say their directive is to just wait for a potential software fix. It doesn't bother me all that much, but I have no idea if I'm waiting a week, a month, or who knows how long for this fix
I got the call today that said they've ordered the part and will call me back when they are ready to install it during a mobile service visit.

I’ve noticed that 1/4 times I use my right turn signal it immediately deactivates. My car was a 100x vin produced in late September. I don’t have the issue with the left turn signal though. Has anyone else experienced something similar?