TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

PSA: Tesla loaner from Enterprise has cruise, but not adaptive (ACC)! Close call..

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ski_, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Ski_

Ski_ Enthusiast

#1 Ski_, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    I picked up a loaner from Tesla Service (Fremont) and I received an MS 75d (from enterprise apparently)— Awesome! I was expecting a ICE! :D

So far so good— I hoped on the freeway and I found that the AP2 car did not have EAP enabled— not a big deal. It did have cruise control.

I set curise and enjoy an easy drive for about 5miles. Traffic began to build suddenly and the car did not slow!? Super close call. Turns out— it has cruse control, but it’s not adaptive!! This is an accident just waiting to happen (especially for folks that never new of a Tesla without it— like me). They really probably should have mentioned this at Tesla Service upon taking the car just to be safe (I’m not implying they are at fault— it would have just been helpful). Regardless— I don’t want this to happen to anyone else— hence the PSA. ;)

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Nosken

Nosken Member

Yes, about a month ago, same thing happened to me. It is because it does not have even EAP which is required to get TACC.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Mediocrates

Mediocrates Member

Driver responsibility includes understanding the functionality of a vehicle (any vehicle) before using it.

• Like x 3
  4. Ski_

Ski_ Enthusiast

#4 Ski_, Oct 4, 2017
    The intent of the post was not to blame folks, but rather to inform others through sharing— hence the PSA notice.

I just edited the post a bit to make it clearer that I’m not indicating Tesla is at any fault for a driver not understanding a vehicle.

• Like x 1
  5. Ski_

Ski_ Enthusiast

#5 Ski_, Oct 4, 2017
    Yeah— after looking at the customization options on tesla.com— it does not even list ACC as part of EAP (nor does it list it as a standard feature either). Clearly EAP is required— I’m surprised as it is a common feature in so many cars these days.

6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

It is listed as part of EAP, it just isn't called out by ACC or TACC. They say "Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions."

• Like x 1
  7. Ski_

Ski_ Enthusiast

Good catch— I just reread it.

8. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

is it possible the autopilot features are not enabled for the driver profile?

9. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Well... you see here son... back in my day... cars had to be driven by humans.
    Even my here fancy auto-mo-car made by Tesla don't a single camera or microwave oven in sight.

• Funny x 1
  10. MartinPF

MartinPF Member

No, not possible: if EAP is enabled for the car Cruise control is always traffic-aware, there's no way to switch that off or disable it.

• Informative x 2
  11. DHG.

DHG. Member

#11 DHG., Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Yesterday I got I a Mode S 75 from Burbank Service Center. When I got the car he told me it was an Enterprise rental. I pulled the stock and noticed it was white when engaged. I quickly disengaged realizing this might not have EAP as I didn’t see a steering wheel icon. I commented to my wife someone with EAP will crash this car thinking it will stop. Glad you posted this and I can confirm.

Given the many variants and options in a Tesla, Tesla should make the driver aware of what the car has or does not have with regard to EAP or any driving functionality. I’d agree with @Mediocrates but without Tesla saying anything it was initially hard to tell and it only takes a small mistake or misunderstanding to cause an accident and people can get hurt or worse in accidents.

What happened to the P100D loaners?

• Informative x 1
  12. DHG.

DHG. Member

F7439961-5522-4B0E-84F7-8FAFA41689C2.jpeg Hopefully the next person who gets this car will see my message I left them

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 3
    • Like x 1
  13. daktari

daktari Member

Happened to me once also. I was a bit confused why the car did not seem to slow down, but then I realized it. Old school cruise feels so meaningless now!

14. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

Same at Buena Park. I got an Enterprise 75, new tape still on it, and it didn't have Autopilot. Luckily I figured it out in a couple of minutes.