Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charging Etiquette - Unplugging Teslas from J1772s

Unplug Teslas when all EVSEs are full?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[...]My thoughts - unplugging is not touching someone else's car. I don't get how anyone would think that. They are touching public property.[...]
I share this thought as well. My belief is that if it has a plug it has equal rights to be charging, so long as it's actually charging. You should never unplug someone else's car while it's actively charging without their permission, no matter what your circumstance is (tough luck). Once it's fully charged, then sorry but it's fair game. Either move your car immediately, or accept that someone else may unplug you. You shouldn't use delayed charging at a public charger since it will appear that you are fully charged.

Reactions: bhzmark
id honestly think id be more worried about my car getting key'd by jealous people at the public, then getting unplugged, hence why i tend to avoid the free charge stations to begin with.

Lets be realistic here, if you drive a Model S / X, you can afford to charge the car at home.
If you can afford to charge the car at home, you wont be at a free public charge station.

If you are at a free charge station, its because ur car is about to die from the lack of power, in which i don't think you'll leave it there unattended, because you'll be worried someone will unplug you.

So i honestly think u would try to squeeze enough charge to get you to a super charging station, where it will be like 10x faster to get the charge to get you home so you can plug the car at home.

I can see who has "powerful" friends here on this page.

I made an apologetic post for getting into it with a forum member for their opinions, and my APOLOGETIC post is the one that got me a warning.

I guess we're only allowed to have a differing point of view if we are a "supporting" member.

Oddly enough, my point of view follows law enforcement's: If you unplug someone's car, you're at fault. Weird, how in this age of the internet, someone can be technically right, but wrong all at the same time.

Agree 100%.

I hate it when Teslas in my office come and plug in and occupy the whole day when the lowely Leafs and I3 are left in lurch unable to get home, just because they came 10 minutes later than the Teslas.

Believe me none of the Teslas have a 200 mile commute. They are all cheap skates who will not plug in at their home and suck on the company's dime to save a few pennies, at the expense of those that absolutely need the charge to go home.

In fact I lobbied to seclude the Teslas to the preferred EV parking, but not EV charging spots and leave that to range deprived EVs

Are the drivers of those cars truly obstinate about doing this when you’ve politely spoken to them about the impact of their behavior? Do you have an internal communications means for all EV-owning employees to share the charging infrastructure?

No
o.png

I can see who has "powerful" friends here on this page.

I made an apologetic post for getting into it with a forum member for their opinions, and my APOLOGETIC post is the one that got me a warning.

I guess we're only allowed to have a differing point of view if we are a "supporting" member.

Oddly enough, my point of view follows law enforcement's: If you unplug someone's car, you're at fault. Weird, how in this age of the internet, someone can be technically right, but wrong all at the same time.
No.

I'm a supporting member, was a moderator on this site for several years til I resigned ... and I get sent to Snippiness on a regular basis. (Never once did it occur to me that it was because a moderator was taking sides. They don't have enough time for that.)

No.

I'm a supporting member, was a moderator on this site for several years til I resigned ... and I get sent to Snippiness on a regular basis. (Never once did it occur to me that it was because a moderator was taking sides. They don't have enough time for that.)
maybe I was the only one that got the "behave yourself' email, maybe I wasn't. It was a little absurd, considering my conciliatory post is the one that got me in "trouble". lol

Reactions: GatorGuy
http://www.beverlyhills.org/cbhfile...901669426553/ElectricVehiclePolicyChanges.pdf

A direct and appropriate response to selfishness.

Some highlights from the policy other jurisdictions should implement:

Updated policy encourages more efficient use of City’s 35 EV charging stations Beverly Hills, CA

. . .to prepare the City’s EV charging infrastructure to meet the increasing demand.

. . .encourages more availability and efficient use of the City’s 35 publicly available EV charging stations.

Key components of the EV Charging Policy include:
 implementing energy and station fees, in addition to facility parking fees
 prohibiting plug-in hybrid electric vehicles from charging
 implementing new enforcement regulation inherent in signage

The new rate structure establishes an Energy Fee of $0.25/kilowatt-hour (kWh)—applicable only when the vehicle is actively charging—to recover the cost of providing electricity, as well as a Station Fee of $6/hour—applicable after the first two hours of establishing a connection, regardless of whether the vehicle is charging—to encourage turnover to make the station available for other users.

In order to improve access for vehicles that are 100% reliant on electric power, the new policy reserves the City’s EV charging stations for battery-only electric vehicles. All other vehicles (including plug-in hybrid electric vehicles) and any vehicle without an active charging session or not connected to a station may be subject to citation and/or towing at the owner’s expense.

I saw one where the locking clip was broken off the other day. Not sure if it was someone trying to get it loose from a car, or if it happened when they were trying to remove the handle from the EVSE to use it. I have been frustrated by ChargePoint chargers where I could hear the latch release the handle, but the handle didn't actually release. I can see someone becoming a little too forceful in trying to get to charge.

I saw one where the locking clip was broken off the other day. Not sure if it was someone trying to get it loose from a car, or if it happened when they were trying to remove the handle from the EVSE to use it. I have been frustrated by ChargePoint chargers where I could hear the latch release the handle, but the handle didn't actually release. I can see someone becoming a little too forceful in trying to get to charge.
Ive unfortunately been in this situation. Down to my last mile range, and the dang chargepoint unlocks but wouldn't release. After multiple attempts, and getting charged $2 for each card swipe (paid station), finally got it lose and started to charge. Had a can of silicone spray, sprayed the heck out of the locking pin. Seemed to help as I saw a happy review on plugshare praising that the thing finally releases properly.
And chargepoint did refund me the 20ish attempts to get the handle out that I was charged for.

• Helpful
Reactions: BerTX
What the what?!?!? Why not just change $20+/hour once the car is done charging if they really want higher turnover?

My parking garage asked nicely, then began shaming abusers (each stickie below says "times up - move it") and now planning to implement excessive charges for overstays >15 mins. Each user has to register directly as a building tennant to access its free Blink stations. After 3x abuse charges, they will block access completely. Its getting interesting........

300 s grand.jpg

I am very disappointed and discouraged now in using public charges. I have been unplugged many times. To prevent that from happening I have purchased a lock to lock the charger. Yesterday someone released the air from the tire. I was not there for more than 2 hours. I do get this feeling some ev owners do not like tesla owners using public chargers.

I always charge at home. This public charging is what frightens me about taking a long trip with my Teslas.
Most long trips are made using the Supercharger network and none of this unplugging etiquette stuff really applies to that. For one thing, only Teslas can use Superchargers.

Most of my miles are long road trips via Superchargers — I think that they are a lot of fun.