Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puncture stuff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LukeT

Apr 9, 2019
UK
First car I've owned without a spare. What are the recommended things to buy to keep in the car for tyre inflation and puncture repair?

Model S if it makes a difference.

Is this still the compressor of choice (found on teslaownersgroup.co.uk)?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RTC1000-Digital-Inflator/dp/B07MVVMCBD/

And would this complete the package and get me going at least temporarily?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/holts-tyreweld-puncture-repair/59631
I got a puncture 2 days after I bought the car )ModelS) and had to replace the tyre (nail)
I bought the Teslapuncture repair and air compressor kit. This works well if a bit complicated. I feel much more secure now.

I just replaced the tyres on my model S. The tyre pressure monitor still shows low pressure alyhough the pressure is correct all round. Does the TPM reset itself? and if so how and when?

I think it resets after you stop and start the car.
If that fails, on my M3 there is a menu option under Service to reset the TPMS. No idea if it’s on you MS, but might be worth a look.

I just replaced the tyres on my model S. The tyre pressure monitor still shows low pressure alyhough the pressure is correct all round. Does the TPM reset itself? and if so how and when?
Yes they reset after you've driven a short distance - anecdotally this seems to vary but in my experience it's a couple of miles. I get my tyres swapped twice a year (all season <-> winters). I don't think I always see a warning - I've had mine done on the driveway so I guess if the car was still for long enough the sensors would have turned off & therefore be none the wiser.

I just had a slow puncture and after getting it repaired the low pressure warning didn't clear after 3-4 miles of driving even though the tyre pressure was correct. Turning the car off and on again (I took the opportunity at a particularly slow set of lights) got rid of the error.

Reactions: Roy W.
First car I've owned without a spare. What are the recommended things to buy to keep in the car for tyre inflation and puncture repair?

Model S if it makes a difference.

Is this still the compressor of choice (found on teslaownersgroup.co.uk)?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RTC1000-Digital-Inflator/dp/B07MVVMCBD/

And would this complete the package and get me going at least temporarily?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/holts-tyreweld-puncture-repair/59631
I bought the pump & gunk kit from Tesla but I would expect it does the same job as the products linked above. I hope never to need to use the gunk as I gather it writes off the tyre and possibly the pressure monitor too. The pump has been handy recently when I got a slow puncture though.

Two main tips:
1. Don't rely on Tesla for roadside recovery - much better to get AA/RAC etc. cover. Tesla used to offer to help out with tyre issues - not sure if they still do - but in any case it was office hours only and supposedly only within 50 miles of a service centre. Even during office hours you might be faced with a long wait.
2. If you have low profile / hard to source tyres, consider buying a spare tyre if a delay in getting hold of a new tyre would cause you serious inconvenience.

Reactions: arg and Roy W.
Yeah, but what about the Jack? What kind of Jack does one need?
I read somewhere that the scissor jacks are not strong enough to lift the Tesla

Is there much point carrying a jack? If the kit you have otherwise in the car is just to plug and inflate, then anything you'll need a jack for you'll need other things you haven't got too, won't you? Like a spare...

How do you buy the Tesla repair kit online? I can only find it on the US site
I asked at the SC a while ago and, guess what, it was out of stock. The guy just told me to use a compressor (which I already had) and a bottle of gunk. Even the official Tesla gunk can wreck the tyre, so for me if I have a flat the first option will be roadside assistance.

The foam stuff is said not to work very well when acoustic tyres are fitted as the foam lining of the tyres prevents the foam getting to where its needed. While they say its ok with tyre pressure sensors it seems a horrible thing to do to them

A compressor to top up the air for slow punctures and things like this dynaplug seem to be recommended way now https://amzn.to/2TsenP2

The foam stuff is said not to work very well when acoustic tyres are fitted as the foam lining of the tyres prevents the foam getting to where its needed. While they say its ok with tyre pressure sensors it seems a horrible thing to do to them

A compressor to top up the air for slow punctures and things like this dynaplug seem to be recommended way now https://amzn.to/2TsenP2

Thanks for the suggestion. Great solution, just ordered the Dynaplug and spare plugs from Amazon. Bought a compressor locally.

Yeah, but what about the Jack? What kind of Jack does one need?
I read somewhere that the scissor jacks are not strong enough to lift the Tesla

Model 3 is under 1900kg unladen. Our Passat Diesel Estate was 1800kg unladen. It came from factory with a roadside jack rated at 1150kg. You are only lifting one corner and a small proportion of another 2. Plus weight is fairly evenly distributed, so no heavy steel lump at the front. I'm not going to recommend anything, but maths would give an idea what sort of min load would be required. Biggest issue seems to find a jack suitable for use with the jack pads. There is no room beneath the car to fit many jacks, let alone an axle stand or spare wheel for safety even when raised enough to change a wheel. Thankfully you do not need to raise it much to change a wheel.

Last edited:
I have a low profile bottle jack somewhere, not sure how high it is, but I got it years ago to fit under a BMW 325i. Anyone know how much space there is between ground level and the underside of a jack pad on a M3?

It'd be easy enough to fabricate an adapter to fit on the top of a dumpy bottle jack to engage in the jack pad locating hole on the M3, with a disc to spread the load evenly. Might have a go at making something like this up, if the jack will fit under the car.

I have low profile jack pads. Its about 11.5cm clearance on a LR AWD. I had a good look around. Never found a bottle jack that would fit. Plus some dumpy jacks do not have the lift required - don't know what is needed, but not much thankfully. Wouldn't surprise me if Model 3 could sit on 3 wheels, so its just the lift needed to counter the suspension travel.

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
I figure basic jacking points are worth having in the car at £26 for 4 on ebay. They can go in the box and they may never get used, or my tyre place might even use them every time rather than them just being an emergency thing.

Do you think the pads are really necessary on Model S? I don't find any difficulty with basic trolley jack direct onto jacking points.

Model 3 looks more of an issue as the jacking points are smaller and deeper under the car, and I can see pads (or just the right kind of jack) being necessary there.