Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Punctured Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I repair tires all the time. Just don't expect them to retain their speed ratings after repair. That is why Tesla will not repair these tires, and why the tire after market warrenty went away. If you drive at normal highway speeds, it's likey not an issue. If you push to 100+ on occasion, then you should replace the tire IMO.

I had this happen about 25K miles in.

Larger/irregular hole that wouldn't hold a repair... either mine or a shop's. When the Tire Rack had the OEM tires on sale for $113 I bought a pair and swapped them on. Now I have one spare hanging in the garage...

I guess you can find tire shops with proper equipment.

In Japan, yes, but not in North America. The hot vulcanizing patches require the technician to have proper training. Tire work here is generally given to the most junior person, so there's little possibility of them being trained. Truck tire shops repair tires in this manner but they don't have the equipment to repair passenger car tires.

We had a nail in our tire while on a road trip on the 4th of July. That was fun, given no one was open to fix it. We were able to fill it with air and limp home carefully and near a shoulder (though I have the repair kit had it continued to leak), though Tesla offered to tow us the 60-some miles home.

America's Tire / Discount Tire patched it the next morning, though I had it replaced yesterday. Considering repairs void the speed rating, I wasn't so sure about hitting Laguna this weekend with a patched tire.

I'm surprised people drive permanently on temporary plugs alone. You really need to have the inner patch to be sure the thing's not just going to blow out at any minute. I'd be a nervous wreck, especially with family in the car.

We had a nail in our tire while on a road trip on the 4th of July. That was fun, given no one was open to fix it. We were able to fill it with air and limp home carefully and near a shoulder (though I have the repair kit had it continued to leak), though Tesla offered to tow us the 60-some miles home.

America's Tire / Discount Tire patched it the next morning, though I had it replaced yesterday. Considering repairs void the speed rating, I wasn't so sure about hitting Laguna this weekend with a patched tire.

I'm surprised people drive permanently on temporary plugs alone. You really need to have the inner patch to be sure the thing's not just going to blow out at any minute. I'd be a nervous wreck, especially with family in the car.

A tire plug in the tread area is considered a legal, permanent fix in California. There is no way it will ever blow out. I have worked in tire repair many years and I have never seen a plug fail.

A tire plug in the tread area is considered a legal, permanent fix in California. There is no way it will ever blow out. I have worked in tire repair many years and I have never seen a plug fail.

I don't think any jurisdictions in the US regulate tire repair in any way. It's the tire manufacturer that warns of the failure risk, not the government.

For something under pressure, certainly a mushroom inside patch/plug is far safer, and it's not difficult to understand why. Very few, if any, reputable tire shops would simply plug a tire from the outside. To get you off the side of the road, sure. As a permanent fix? I suspect not.

As to the last point, I don't work in tire repair and *have* seen a plug fail. Neither anecdote is particularly convincing, IMO.

Well, now you know someone who has had a plug fail. :wink: I got a nail a few years ago on a fairly new car, and I had received road hazard insurance on the tires as part of my new car purchase, so I took it back to the dealer for repairs. They plugged it. About 6 months later, I got another flat and it turns out the plug must have flown out, because that same spot on the tire was the location of the "new" leak. Since then, I've always used the patch/plug method. Just had a patch/plug done on my wife's ICE a few weeks ago.

Well, now you know someone who has had a plug fail. :wink: I got a nail a few years ago on a fairly new car, and I had received road hazard insurance on the tires as part of my new car purchase, so I took it back to the dealer for repairs. They plugged it. About 6 months later, I got another flat and it turns out the plug must have flown out, because that same spot on the tire was the location of the "new" leak. Since then, I've always used the patch/plug method. Just had a patch/plug done on my wife's ICE a few weeks ago.

Right. It happens. The big problem with a plug repair is that the interior of the tire is not inspected for hidden damage. All too often the penetrating object scratches the interior sidewall and sometime later the tire has sudden deflation.

Ended up with a flat tire late at night from a 3" screw in the middle of the tread. Ended up using the slime repair kit, which worked to get me home and is still holding just fine.

Went to the tire shop to get it patched, and they inform me that they can not patch a tire that has had slime in it. They say they can't get good adhesion for the patch even after it is cleaned out. Is this true or is the shop just trying to sell me another tire? I had no idea that using the slime would prevent the ability to repair, in fact, I believe the instructions on the slime say to take in for a real repair as soon as possible.

Ended up with a flat tire late at night from a 3" screw in the middle of the tread. Ended up using the slime repair kit, which worked to get me home and is still holding just fine.

Went to the tire shop to get it patched, and they inform me that they can not patch a tire that has had slime in it. They say they can't get good adhesion for the patch even after it is cleaned out. Is this true or is the shop just trying to sell me another tire? I had no idea that using the slime would prevent the ability to repair, in fact, I believe the instructions on the slime say to take in for a real repair as soon as possible.
I haven't heard of this previously but I would call around a bit to other shops and see if they have the same policy. One of the benefits of living in a country with a capitalist marketing system.

It depends on the slime--some washes out easier than others, but generally slime isn't good. You're really better off with a plug kit. (You can still use the compressor that comes with the slime.) I suspect the policy has more to do with the time it takes to wash out the slime and the mess it makes because when you patch a tire you buff the area where the patch is. That will remove any foreign material.

If I recall correctly Slime is water soluble. But even if it isn't the shop claiming Slime ruins a tire for permanent repair is full of hot air. A proper repair buffs a 2" diameter pad on the inside of the tire for the glue and patch part of the plug to adhere. Pretty shiny textured rubber inside the tire isn't conducive to a good seal so they buff it flat and roughen up a bit. As for the hole through the tread, that rubber can't hold air anyway. We plug through the hole primarily to keep dirt and water out. The only tire rubber which holds air is the thin innermost layer, all other tire rubber is porous.

When using the tarry strips be sure to push most of your excess strip in the tire then before removing the tool turn it to wad up the excess inside, wrap it around the tool inside. This forms a big head on the plug to help keep it from being pulled out but mostly its that big head on the inside contacting the inside surface of the tire which seals air. String in the hole does very little.

But the main reason I too advise carrying a simple tarry strip plug kit is for concerns about Slime in TPMS sensors. If Slime plugs holes in the tire then what does it do to the sensor?