Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Plaid MS soon, do I need aftermarket camber arms etc.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the title, do I need new camber arms? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger one the new Plaid 23' with these new prices. What should I keep in mind/ do you guys still think it's a good vehicle despite all these things about negative camber, shudder, and vibration? I plan to use this car as my daily driver, thoughts!

This might be controversial but I would just wait and see. There's a ton of variability in Model S tolerances because the car was designed when Tesla really didn't know what they were doing. That means some cars have issues with tire wear and some don't.

I'm 15K miles in on a Plaid running 295 20" wheels/tires and lowered almost an inch all around with very even tire wear.

I would just wait and see if you have tire wear issues. Yeah, you might incur the cost of expensive tires but I'm of the opinion you want to keep the car "service center friendly" until you're sure there aren't factory issues that need to be addressed. Ultimately aftermarket parts can not be cited as a reason to deny warranty claims, etc. but the effort to execute on that is not worth the time. Easier to keep things simple until you're sure the car is "good."

Upvote 0
Automakers must prove the aftermarket parts or non dealer repair caused the problem. It's the law.

No doubt, one will have to fight this.
Yep that is the law and then there is the reality. I used to adjudicate warranty claims for a major automotive manufacturer. I had a fair amount of latitude and discretion but I worked for a company that actually cared about its customers. We would sometimes warranty things that were a bit questionable as to whether a mod caused it or not.

On the flip side, there wasn't a single time when I dug in my heels regarding a mod the customer made where they were able to go around me. We ended up in court a few times and every time the customer lost. You have to have really deep pockets to go up against a big company and have a chance to win.

Since Tesla tends to deny almost everything as their default position or says it is within spec to blow you off, I am pretty cautious about any mods I'll do and understand the potential warranty implications.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
Tesla modulates traction 100x per second. Has less to do with power than how Tesla manages it. On unworn tires it's never going to burn rubber.

You do know that the plaid allows more wheel spin than the other models, right? It wouldn't matter if they modulated it 4,000 times per second. If the map says to allow 5% more wheel speed on the rear than the front sensors detect, then you are spinning even while it monitors that 4,000 times per second.

Once you hit 60mph and the power has ramped up to the full 1000hp, you're absolutely spinning the tires. Watch out the rear view mirror and you'll see sets of pads left on the street behind you. This isn't about "OMGWTFBBQ I just blew the tires off and created a cloud of smoke at 950 mph", they spin and leave black marks at high speed.

This is no different than how track mode works, except it's the way the base map is configured.

Upvote 0
You do know that the plaid allows more wheel spin than the other models, right? It wouldn't matter if they modulated it 4,000 times per second. If the map says to allow 5% more wheel speed on the rear than the front sensors detect, then you are spinning even while it monitors that 4,000 times per second.
Never said there would be zero spin, we're talking about leaving black lines on the pavement at 80mph. Show it to me.

This is called leaving black marks at highway speeds..

Upvote 0