Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was told Tesla Corporate sent notice to Service centers that it is to NOT be covered under warranty. Even though in my case, it's being replaced and it's 6 month end of life notice brings it to end of life before warranty is over, it is not going to be covered. Corp States it's a wear item. Well, so are suspension components, but if a suspension component fails before the bumper to bumper warranty is over, it's covered. This fuse battery is failing before the battery & drive unit warranty is up, but it's not being covered.

Right now, my repair estimate is just over $700. I can see a lawsuit being filed by someone over this as breach of warranty.

I'd have no arguments paying for the replacement if the warranty was up, however, this rubs me the wrong way.
Just another example of Tesla service CONTINUING to do the wrong thing. If the car is under battery warranty it should be replaced free of charge. So to sum it up I should expect an error message a day after my warranty ends on June 26, 2024. Edit- I also have the bumper to bumper warranty which should in theory cover this item with esa deductible.

Will Tesla be offering the ludicrous fuse for those who want increased power? From my understanding you need that and the contactors for the full ludicrous upgrade. Would the fuse alone provide increased performance???

@o2vt my post on this thread might be helpful to you - Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D
I had the battery replaced on my 2018 Model S 75D in Feb 2023 with a new 90KW pack. I got the fuse alert and Telsa quoted me about $500 for the repair. I brought the car in for service and after inspection, they told me "the installed fuse is an updated self powered fuse and no replacement is needed."

Since you live so far away, may want to try to ask Tesla if they can check the serial number of your new battery pack to see if it was on the list of false alerts that were sent out. I tried to ask them questions via the app before the service appointment date but it seemed like they didn't know about the issue at the time and told me to bring the car in. I hope this helps you save some time.
Update: after I advised Telsa that the warning had disappeared after recent software update, they cancelled the appointment and advised me to reschedule if the warning message pops up again.

Reactions: teedee
Battery fuse replacement warning popped up a few days ago on my 2014 Model S 60.

I contacted a Tesla service center and received an estimate of USD $1,219 to repair

I wish I took a screenshot of the estimate.
I am going to see if the can resend the estimate for the pyro fuse.

They were planning to do a mobile appointment for this.

I can understand being charged $400-$600 for this job but not $1,219.

Does anyone else gets treated like this from their service center?
If you feel comfortable, DM me the last 6 of your VIN so I can forward to corporate. My understanding is that this is outside the range it should be and they requested to be notified.

@supratachophobia - My apologies for asking. What's your connection to Tesla? Thanks.
Fair question, I run the Ohio chapter of the Tesla Owners Club. So when we had a bunch of members having this error, I was able to speak with Tesla directly on this issue to get more information. They requested that in return, if there were outliers falling through the cracks of service, they wanted to know.

For all Tesla's growth as a company, it is still made up of real people that want customers to have the best experience. One of the benefits of the owners club program has been a way to consolidate/focus specific issues like this in a two-way dialog and then filter those answers to owners in an officially unofficial way.

Bottom line on here, I'm just trying to help. :)

For all Tesla's growth as a company, it is still made up of real people that want customers to have the best experience.

I absolutely agree. I've encountered it first hand multiple times myself in over 8 years of ownership and something others neglect to highlight.

I was able to speak with Tesla directly on this issue to get more information.

Are you interfacing the corporate engineers or with a team overseeing the service centers? What's the makeup of your contacts at Tesla?

Bottom line on here, I'm just trying to help.

Many thanks.

Fair question, I run the Ohio chapter of the Tesla Owners Club. So when we had a bunch of members having this error, I was able to speak with Tesla directly on this issue to get more information. They requested that in return, if there were outliers falling through the cracks of service, they wanted to know.

For all Tesla's growth as a company, it is still made up of real people that want customers to have the best experience. One of the benefits of the owners club program has been a way to consolidate/focus specific issues like this in a two-way dialog and then filter those answers to owners in an officially unofficial way.

I just have to quote this for truth. Wish more folks knew about and participated in the owners' club program. Do our best to get the word out but it's not easy if you're not a twitter influencer. (NJ/DE/PA folks - reach out to me for more info!)

What is Tesla doing for owners who are under battery warranty? I’m in Ohio but Cincinnati area. I’m wondering if they really are making owners pay for this repair especially low mileage vehicles. As I mentioned I have b2b warranty until next June but there would still be $200 esa deductible. Also wondering if they will potentially use ludicrous fuse if you don’t have ludicrous but do have p90d. TIA

Are you interfacing the corporate engineers or with a team overseeing the service centers? What's the makeup of your contacts at Tesla?
I don't feel comfortable sharing names publicly but the way it's setup, I think we have access to anyone we need to have access to. In this case, it was basically "the-buck-stops-here" level of the service arm of Tesla.

Reactions: geordi and Droschke
I don't feel comfortable sharing names publicly but the way it's setup, I think we have access to anyone we need to have access to. In this case, it was basically "the-buck-stops-here" level of the service arm of Tesla.
Have you addressed with Tesla the growing occurrence of BMS-u029 or BMS_u018 alerts requiring owner out of warranty $10k-$20k pack replacement?

Currently primarily limited to 2012-2014 Model S’s. We are starting to hear about some 2015's being affected as they come off warranty and owners are having to pay for repairs. Neither mileage nor types of charging habits seem to be immune.

Reactions: tesluv108

Of course, I did not want to hear any names! You actually answered my question the way I hoped for. I appreciate it very much.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Have you addressed with Tesla the growing occurrence of BMS-u029 or BMS_u018 alerts requiring owner out of warranty $10k-$20k pack replacement?

Currently primarily limited to 2012-2014 Model S’s. We are starting to hear about some 2015's being affected as they come off warranty and owners are having to pay for repairs. Neither mileage nor types of charging habits seem to be immune.

No, but if you know specific instances (vins), I'd be happy to relay the message to the proper region/chapter. What is Tesla's stance on this? Sometimes even just getting information from them helps. As someone heading out of battery warranty myself, these concerns are something i think about often.

No, but if you know specific instances (vins), I'd be happy to relay the message to the proper region/chapter. What is Tesla's stance on this? Sometimes even just getting information from them helps. As someone heading out of battery warranty myself, these concerns are something i think about often.
I started an information sharing and awareness Facebook Group last Fall after my experience. Were up to almost 700 members. Join us.

Tesla BMS_u029/018

Can anyone read this for me? My English is not good enough to understand the whole text. How can it be that a component installed in the battery, for which the battery has to be removed, is not covered by the battery guarantee?

Attachments

• 2015-12 (Dec) - Model S Warranty - Europe.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
Can anyone read this for me? My English is not good enough to understand the whole text. How can it be that a component installed in the battery, for which the battery has to be removed, is not covered by the battery guarantee?
Because Tesla picks and chooses what they want to cover under warranty. To me if the car is still under battery warranty this should be covered. But since Tesla deemed it would be a large expense they elected to hose their early owners as usual.

My quick scan of your attachment focuses on this verbiage - "...which covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Battery..."

IMO, if this was ten years ago, when Tesla was first getting started, Tesla would probably replace a battery operated pyro fuse under warranty. However, now are different times.

Because Tesla picks and chooses what they want to cover under warranty. To me if the car is still under battery warranty this should be covered. But since Tesla deemed it would be a large expense they elected to hose their early owners as usual.
that's about the same as if you had an engine guarantee for a combustion engine, but the piston rings are excluded.