Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. That's not how 3rd party warranty works. You ask the company that gave the warranty, then take car to Tesla and probably pay yourself first, then send the invoice to the warranty company...
I have had 3rd party warranties before and the service dept at the dealership would work with them. So this was new to me. I submitted the estimate to my warranty company last week, just waiting on word of whether it's covered or not. Being that the estimate lists the part being replaced as a fuse, but it's not listed as a maintenance item in the manual, I think my warranty folks might be confused lol

They have no way of seeing an aftermarket warranty.
I contacted my warranty company directly and they gave me the phone number and email to pass on to Tesla service to contact them to get approval and they refused. It will have to be reimbursement at this point. Regardless, this isn't something I was notified of upfront and would have appreciated the education on it. I have had extended warranty's before and never had this issue. This is not some off market warranty, I elected the coverage when I purchased the vehicle. I did call the dealership and let them know so they could pass it on to future Tesla owners; doubt they will though.

@Tracy Anderson bring up that diagnostic fee... they don't have anything to "diagnose" as this is a message generated by Tesla based on the age of the pyro fuse installed in the battery pack, and not due to anything the car is detecting. They had that on my estimate, but removed it today when I brought it up to them.
I actually did bring that up. They said the fee is "to verify its' the fuse, and not another component, that needs to be replaced"

I plan to speak directly with Service when I show up Thursday morning about this. Maybe that will help.

Reactions: greenbert
Received a $1100 estimate to fix the Pyro Fuse notification.

2016 Pre-Refresh P90D w/ Ludicrous Upgrade, and got the notification a few days ago which just so happened to pop up 2 weeks after completing a final service just before my warranty expired. :mad:

I asked why the HV Contactors need to be replaced, and they said "The vehicle will need to be inspected onsite to determine if contactor replacement is required."

I know the Ludicrous Upgrade required a retrofit of a different Pyro Fuse, would anyone be able to confirm that this is the correct fuse that won't revert my car back to pre-Ludicrous performance?

Screenshot_20230920_100725_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

PAr

I do not have the correct data but yours as Ludicrous battery should have the max fuse with 2366A. You said that you purchased this later so maybe they go by VIN and hence suggesting that 2000A fuse? Your fuse from factory supposed to be a 1111445-00-F if not mistaken. Other have reported that this is the fuse (1111313-00-F) that Tesla is offering as the highest amperage.

Edit: here is one similar but different part no. with Ludicrous battery

Last edited:
Seems like all labor should be included in the line for $514.50. Can't see why the $382.20 is there, as this would seem to cover removing and reinstalling the HV battery a second time, which we know did not happen. Also can't see why you would have been charged for two sets of battery bolts. @MP3Mike do you have a sense here? Really wish Tesla could get its act together for this service.

My SC is being an a*hole

I was quoted almost $700. I asked them to remove the $200 "General Diagnosis" fee as there's nothing to diagnose. They replied "It still requires diagnosis. If replacing the fuse doesn't solve your problem, we're not liable. You ok with that?"

What should I tell them?

My SC is being an a*hole

I was quoted almost $700. I asked them to remove the $200 "General Diagnosis" fee as there's nothing to diagnose. They replied "It still requires diagnosis. If replacing the fuse doesn't solve your problem, we're not liable. You ok with that?"

What should I tell them?
That seems perfectly reasonable to me. You can have them remove the diagnosis fee and ask them to just change the fuse. Of course, if the fuse wasn't actually the problem, you would be right where you started and would have to pay them to diagnose it, having already paid to replace the fuse that might not have been necessary.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
That seems perfectly reasonable to me. You can have them remove the diagnosis fee and ask them to just change the fuse. Of course, if the fuse wasn't actually the problem, you would be right where you started and would have to pay them to diagnose it, having already paid to replace the fuse that might not have been necessary.
Didn't I read the fuse warning is simply a software countdown timer of some sorts? How could this be mis-diagnosed?

Didn't I read the fuse warning is simply a software countdown timer of some sorts? How could this be mis-diagnosed?
I don't know if other conditions can trigger the warning. But, it could just be that the car wasn't updated properly when the pack/fuse was last changed and that a new fuse isn't actually necessary. (But in that case replacing it would clear the warning.)

This came up for me today.

MX90D with a 4/2017 vintage at 61,835 mi.

And my take on this: if this particular part isn't replaced, and if the car can still drive, it just has much higher odds of causing a massive fire or unrestricted current following a collision, then this is an NHTSB level issue and warrants a recall. I've already filed a complaint with them.

And if anyone wants to consider leverage with a service center rep under goodwill, I'd remember this: if this safety feature causes a major incident, it's Tesla's name in the paper, not the driver's name.

Last edited:
How does this work with the 2015 warranty conditions? Tesla writes, "The Li-ion battery is a highly complex component of the powertrain, and you can rest assured that the battery is covered by the drivetrain warranty." Now Tesla says this fuse is not covered by the warranty. But other components in the “component” are proven to be. The only exclusion in the warranty conditions is age and mileage-related degeneration of capacity. What happens if Tesla changes this fuse to a different type, because the old fuse no longer exists, as if by magic. There is simply no mention of this fuse anywhere that it has to be replaced at some point due to an error message.

This came today, somehow they are trying to sell me the CCS retrofit conversion too. It just appears in the request service part of app. I have no need or want and told them when I first saw it, so did not confirm appointment. Strange sales technique for someone not paying attention or too much other stuff to notice.
seems like the are not going to cover this so class action sounds fair to me, it is part of batteries and a safety feature that is failing.
Hi,

This happened to me as well, but after speaking to their service, they removed the CCS retrofit line and sent a tech to "change the configuration" in the car. He connected his laptop to the car's computer, went into the "Service Plus" mode and changed the configuration, which I believe it had something to do with the expiration date of the fuse. It was a 5 minute process and they didn't charge me at all.

By looking at the pic of your car, it seems to be a 2017 or newer model. The Pyro fuse has a "life" of 10 years and after that, it needs to get replaced. There are 2 batteries in the fuse and after 10 years, the unit needs to be replaced since those batteries are not rechargeable. There are many videos on how the Pyro fuse works, but from my limited knowledge, after 10 years the unit needs to be replaced.

Software configuration may get you another 3-4 years from the unit, but eventually it needs to get replaced.

Sean